IS JIM SCHWARTZ A DINOSAUR???

DOGNESS

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From an article off of GR:

The Bills have a new defensive coordinator in Jim Schwartz so you have to wonder if it has changed Whaley’s philosophy at all. He said, “We tinkered the board a little bit, but the thing about Schwartz when he came in he said, ‘Give me good football players, we’ll find a way to get them on the field’ and that’s the beauty of our coaching staff, starting with coach Marrone, they don’t want to put anybody in a box, give us the best football players, we’ll get them on the field and we’ll make them good players and make them productive players.”

One thing about Schwartz that is surprising is that he hasn't brought in any 'sleeper' type players from Detroit with him in free agency.

Usually a coach has a few rising stars in his backpocket. Havent seen anything from Jim yet.

We had better players than his FAs

I said it before and I'll say it again, but Schwartz has a whole season worth of game film on what Pettine did and can replicate it if he wants since every player but Byrd is still with the Bills. But instead of copying it, Schwartz will identify the weaknesses and work to fix them, and adding guys like Spikes and Rivers are attempts at doing just that. No doubt he'll implore Whaley to get him pieces to complete the defense as well in the draft.

I said it before and I'll say it again, but Schwartz has a whole season worth of game film on what Pettine did and can replicate it if he wants since every player but Byrd is still with the Bills. But instead of copying it, Schwartz will identify the weaknesses and work to fix them, and adding guys like Spikes and Rivers are attempts at doing just that. No doubt he'll implore Whaley to get him pieces to complete the defense as well in the draft.

Just so long as he bliztes Robey on obvious passing downs, I'm happy.

We had better players than his FAs

On paper the bills d has sick amounts of talent.

You could literally start a probowler or first round pick at all but 3 positions. Those 3 non probowler and non first rounders being, Kiko, Spikes and Aaron Williams. I know Graham at safety is a bit of a stretch. We can offset that with the likes of Branch and Lawson not even starting...

Add: I surmise spikes will be the most noticeable addition as this team hasn't decent vs the run Since wade Phillips tenure.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

For what it's worth, Whaley has been quoted as saying that the team "SWITCHED" to a 4-3. As for Schwartz, I think my concerns vs. Pettine is continuing to see an aggressive defensive philosophy and an attack and disguise mindset. That doesn't mean blitzing as much as it means to me, ball hawking, penetrating and taking some chances to get sacks and turnovers. I think Schwartz will focus more on stopping the run, and team will be helped tremendously by addition of Spikes in the middle. My big personnel concern is the loss of Byrd, I think too many are drinking the Kool Aid thinking we can replace him short term with Graham or Duke Williams. We created a hole that hasn't been filled.

For what it's worth, Whaley has been quoted as saying that the team "SWITCHED" to a 4-3. As for Schwartz, I think my concerns vs. Pettine is continuing to see an aggressive defensive philosophy and an attack and disguise mindset. That doesn't mean blitzing as much as it means to me, ball hawking, penetrating and taking some chances to get sacks and turnovers. I think Schwartz will focus more on stopping the run, and team will be helped tremendously by addition of Spikes in the middle. My big personnel concern is the loss of Byrd, I think too many are drinking the Kool Aid thinking we can replace him short term with Graham or Duke Williams. We created a hole that hasn't been filled.

Let me also add to this discussion the sense I got upon Pettine's departure that the fans suddenly touting the top-10 defense Pettine helped architect were the same ones deriding the team's inability to stop the run and/or get off the field on third and long.

I think that calling last year's defense "top-10" cherry picks a meaningless stat (yards) while ignoring much more important ones, namely points allowed, where we ranked 20th and yards per carry, where we ranked 23rd.

But I also think that losing Pettine means we won't get as many sacks or interceptions (two fun stats for us fans, and two stats wherein the 2013 squad put up franchise-numbers), but that the difference will be made up in improvements at the aforementioned stats (points/ypc), which (and here comes the optimist in me) will have a direct correlation to actual WINS.

Let me also add to this discussion the sense I got upon Pettine's departure that the fans suddenly touting the top-10 defense Pettine helped architect were the same ones deriding the team's inability to stop the run and/or get off the field on third and long.

I think that calling last year's defense "top-10" cherry picks a meaningless stat (yards) while ignoring much more important ones, namely points allowed, where we ranked 20th and yards per carry, where we ranked 23rd.

But I also think that losing Pettine means we won't get as many sacks or interceptions (two fun stats for us fans, and two stats wherein the 2013 squad put up franchise-numbers), but that the difference will be made up in improvements at the aforementioned stats (points/ypc), which (and here comes the optimist in me) will have a direct correlation to actual WINS.

Well said this is pretty much exactly my feelings as well. :beer:

It will most assuredly look different hopefully the results improve (and there still is plenty of room to improve imo)

I like the Schwartz hire. He is known for stopping the run in TN. He has lots of experience, and to compare him to Wanny is not fair. Schwartz has been facing NFC North teams, and exotic defenses for all the years he was a head coach. The game has not passed him by. He also was not a good head coach in controlling discipline, etc. but he did have a hand in finding good talent on the defense in Detroit.

My only concern is DE opposite Mario. Schwartz looks to pressure through the front four, and we have three pieces with a solid rotational player in Branch. We have a back up DE just recently, and Hughes is good but more in a 3-4 OLB. he is somewhat small for a traditional 4-3 in weighing 255 lbs. I think we'll have to pick someone in the draft to add to DE depth.

Lastly, I love some of these articles where it is reported we need more help at free safety. We have a sound CB group as evidenced last year, and Whaley did a nice job picking up Robie. My guess is we really use Graham as a free safety, and he has the height, size, and range to probably play it very well.

Besides DE, we have to get three impact players on offense for this to be a good season.

10-6, 10-6, 10-6. I keep saying that to myself. This has to be our year. If we can do that playing the NFC North (which Schwartz knows very well) and AFC West, we can make some things happen in the post season. How awesome would it be to beat the Packers at home, or Denver away. A man can dream.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/bills-news-notes/2014/4/28/5661922/buffalo-bills-vague-on-corey-graham-position-role

Not sure why Whaley would say that because again, the Bills came out in a 4-3 in every game last year without fail. And you typically don't stay in a 4-3 for all 3 downs.

Not sure why Whaley would say that because again, the Bills came out in a 4-3 in every game last year without fail. And you typically don't stay in a 4-3 for all 3 downs.

Then Pettine was on the radio here today talking about how he is changing the personnel in Cleveland to fit his scheme which he said is mainly a 4-3.

I do think Pettine came last year intending to play a 3-4, but he is a young, bright, mind and I think he learnt and developed away from having to run just Rex's scheme. Not a surprise to me that he is intending to play a hybrid which is mainly 4-3 at Cleveland. As much as I think some fans overstate how brilliant the defense was under Pettine because it was a "flashy" scheme I do think we have lost a good one there. I've no doubt that given the opportunity to build that team slowly he will be a success.

I do think Schwartz was a good hire though and it goes to show how far we have come in terms of building the talent on the roster that a guy as respected as he who has just been a Head Coach looks at our defensive guys and says "yea I'll take that." He was one of the best choices out there on paper. Let's hope it transpires to be a good decision.