Earl Morrall dies and nobody even mentions it??!!!

The guy was iconic and was very instrumental in helping the Dolphins to the only perfect season in the NFL. Once upon a time the Dolphins were the biggest arch enemy of the Bills. Now everyone thinks it's the Patriots but New England never swept us for a whole decade like the Fins did back in the '70's. Today is a sad day indeed, may you rest in peace Earl, you were quite the competitor! Thanks for the memories.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/25/longtime-nfl-quarterback-earl-morrall-dies-at-79/

RIP the best back up QB in nfl history (I know Frank fans may dispute that but investigate Earl's career before making judgement and comments on that please).

Morrall was definitely better than Frank. He won MVP! And, that wasn't even the perfect season.

I golfed at his club in the Lauderdale area called "Earl Morrall's Perfect Season Golf Course" or something like that - in 1992.

The consummate Pro. While he gets most of his accolades from his time with Miami -deservedly so, he was Johnny U's back up and arguably the reason the VERY BEST Colts team from the late '50's through the early '70's was the easiest pick to roll the Jets in SBIII. Like Griese in '72, JU was injured most of the '68 season when, with Earl at the helm, they only lost one game that season - to the Browns. They avenged that only loss in the NFL Title Game, whoopin' the Brownies 34-0!

Even in the Greatest Upset in Sports History, he performed well. Yes, he tossed 3 picks, but 1 was an end zone tip and the killer was him not seeing a WIDE OPEN FOR A TD Jimmy Orr off a flea-flicker just before halftime. The Colts offense was mauling the Jets but fate stopped them from scoring. Incredible!

He was always a class act and epitomized why young boys looked up to athletes in a kinder, gentler era.

R.I.P. Mr. Morrall

Funny, I just mentioned his name the other day. I was having a discussion with my brother and nephew about how the Bills should bring in a solid vet QB to back up and mentor EJ, "you know an Earl Morrall type guy". Quintessential backup QB. He should be put in the HOF for the role he played. Condolences to his family.

The guy was before my time. I don't know anything about him and it looks like he lead a good life. I have nothing I can add and since seeing this thread yesterday I have grown even more curious as to why it is important.

He lead a great life. He seemed to get a lot accomplished and had a loving family it seems. RIP.

The guy was before my time. I don't know anything about him and it looks like he lead a good life. I have nothing I can add and since seeing this thread yesterday I have grown even more curious as to why it is important.

He lead a great life. He seemed to get a lot accomplished and had a loving family it seems. RIP.

As far as his football career is concerned. He started for the Colts in Super Bowl III for an injured Unitas, ended up being pulled for an injured Unitas. The game is significant in that it was the AFL's first defeat of an NFL team. It was instrumental in the merger. He also QBd the Dolphins for the vast majority of the undefeated season.

Earl Morrall was my favorite player besides John Mackey from when i was a kid .

I had both of their football cards and can still see them in my mind

I must admit i was a Unitas fan too. But Earl was a kind of underdog in my youthful perception. I have always liked the underdogs .

Reading up on his history and comments was a nice refresher.

RIP Earl .

Earl Morrall was my favorite player besides John Mackey from when i was a kid .

I had both of their football cards and can still see them in my mind

I must admit i was a Unitas fan too. But Earl was a kind of underdog in my youthful perception. I have always liked the underdogs .

Reading up on his history and comments was a nice refresher.

RIP Earl .

post-1661-0-08527500-1398536951_thumb.jpg