4/25/14: Doug Whaley WGR Interview/Bills' Pre-Draft Presser

Last year at the pre draft luncheon (which is today) it was clear there was one QB they did not like. His name was EJ Manuel

Clear they did not like him? I don't know about that...Granted Buddy did not rain praise on EJ...But in hindsight I think the way the question was phrased Buddy probably wanted to throw a bit of water on that fire...That's all...

Q: Can you explain the perceived meteoric rise of Florida St. QB E.J. Manuel? Is it something induced by the darling of the NFL now, the zone read? Is that something that is kind of driving him up a little bit?

Buddy Nix: I really do not pay much attention to that stuff so I did not know he was making a move with the media. I would say that is probably some of it, yeah. The fact that he can run the football. I think in this league it is kind of a fad deal. Not saying that is a fad, but I am saying the league does things like that. It always comes back to you. You have to be able to throw the football in this league to win and to score. If you have a guy that can run it, he better first of all be able to make NFL throws.

Q: Can Manuel make the NFL throws?

Buddy Nix: I have not seen him make NFL throws. I have seen him make them at Florida St. He made throws and he was maybe a little inconsistent with it. He has plenty of arm and great athletic ability. It is just a matter of whether or not you can get him consistent in that part of it.

Edited by KOKBILLS

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think when people talk about depth the fact that they've been pretty busy in free agency might well be because they are serious about trading up for someone they consider "elite" in the draft. My biggest issue with trading up to #1 for Clowney is that right tackle arguably now looms large as the single weakest spot on this roster. Now whilst I'm not a huge fan of a tackle in the first round, I'd certainly be looking for a guy in round 2 or worst round 3. I don't want to give up to much to go up for an elite pass rusher or receiver if that means another year of poor line play, because I think that harms the development of our second year Quarterback.

Joe B's stated price would be too rich. I don't think it'll take that to get to #1.

yea he ran a bit crazy with that. im assuming he was looking at an RG3 situation but i dont think this is that. if it is that type of price, they might not even say goodbye before hanging up.

Clear they did not like him? I don't know about that...Granted Buddy did not rain praise on EJ...But in hindsight I think the way the question was phrased Buddy probably wanted to throw a bit of water on that fire...That's all...

Q: Can you explain the perceived meteoric rise of Florida St. QB E.J. Manuel? Is it something induced by the darling of the NFL now, the zone read? Is that something that is kind of driving him up a little bit?

Buddy Nix: I really do not pay much attention to that stuff so I did not know he was making a move with the media. I would say that is probably some of it, yeah. The fact that he can run the football. I think in this league it is kind of a fad deal. Not saying that is a fad, but I am saying the league does things like that. It always comes back to you. You have to be able to throw the football in this league to win and to score. If you have a guy that can run it, he better first of all be able to make NFL throws.

Buddy Nix: I have not seen him make NFL throws. I have seen him make them at Florida St. He made throws and he was maybe a little inconsistent with it. He has plenty of arm and great athletic ability. It is just a matter of whether or not you can get him consistent in that part of it.

frankly, it was an incredibly honest assessment - just not one youd peg for a guy you are taking.

Edited by NoSaint

I hope they trade down instead of up. They already only have six picks and they need more depth of talent on this team. Trade down in the first and pick up an extra pick and they will still get a very good player, plus another player for depth later on.

Depth is great don't get me wrong. If you have great depth it won't last long and wasn't planned. You need a QB to play great, draft picks to start, and have enough money to pour into the rest of the team. We have everything ready to go if Manual plays great, if you can trade up to get an absolute stud, I think you do it.

I believe Khalil Mack is far and away the best defensive football player in this draft. Clowney might be the best athlete, but I think Mack has better football skills and is more versatile. If I am trading up for anyone in this draft it is him.

That said, I wouldn't cry myself to sleep if Buffalo moved up for Clowney.

I wish I could have found the video. I clearly remember thinking wow thank god they don't like this guy (I thought he stunk in college). Buddy did a nice acting job. His body language and tone was very lukewarm

I think when people talk about depth the fact that they've been pretty busy in free agency might well be because they are serious about trading up for someone they consider "elite" in the draft. My biggest issue with trading up to #1 for Clowney is that right tackle arguably now looms large as the single weakest spot on this roster. Now whilst I'm not a huge fan of a tackle in the first round, I'd certainly be looking for a guy in round 2 or worst round 3. I don't want to give up to much to go up for an elite pass rusher or receiver if that means another year of poor line play, because I think that harms the development of our second year Quarterback.

You touched on something relevant. Good teams that are missing one or two or even just a few key players can afford to "trade up" for that highly ranked/touted player, but teams like the Bills should be trading down trying to fill as many spots with true starting caliber players as possible. We have a good 10 spots, at least, where we are forced to start depth caliber players.

And for us it always seems to be a one-step-forward, one-step-backward approach. We sign a guy like Spikes, forgetting that he's entirely one-dimensional, for a truly ballhawking FS that's among the best in the league. We'll see how that plays out, but in a passing league I easily view that as being a net loss. Then in free-agency of course the team talks big and becomes the league's biggest investor in turd polish.

This team is in absolutely no position to assume the ever-growing list of risks associated with Clowney. That could very well be another McKelvin type mistake.

This team's front office has such a glaring lack of understanding as to how to build a team, a statement for which there is absolutely no defense at this point.

Joe B's stated price would be too rich. I don't think it'll take that to get to #1.

Would you give up what Polian did to get Bennett?

I would in a heartbeat. Getting Clowney would immediately change the balance in the AFCE, just like it did when we got Biscuit.

GO BILLS!!!

I would in a heartbeat. Getting Clowney would immediately change the balance in the AFCE, just like it did when we got Biscuit.

GO BILLS!!!

The division was a lot different back then. There was no modern day Pats or anything equivalent. It was a division full of mediocre slop.

Like most people that aren't Pats fans, I detest Belicheat and his brand of "morality" and ethics, but as long as he's coaching that team with Brady at the helm they'll overachieve regularly and win the division.

Ryan's a very good coach too.

If you don't think that the coaching in the AFCE is good now, it was worse back then.

I wish I could have found the video. I clearly remember thinking wow thank god they don't like this guy (I thought he stunk in college). Buddy did a nice acting job. His body language and tone was very lukewarm

Here you go sir:

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/2013-Bills-Draft-Luncheon-Press-Conference/64777a4d-6fe9-4806-adea-f4dff890bd41

I think it's around 25 minutes in or so? Could be a earlier.

GO BILLS!!!

I feel like Kelly, Thurman, and Reed had a lot more to do with changing the balance in the AFC East than Biscuit did.

I feel like Kelly, Thurman, and Reed had a lot more to do with changing the balance in the AFC East than Biscuit did.

The entire approach to building a team, which Polian understands but which no one in our FO of any influence does, is what changed the balance in the AFCE.

Even the great and wonderful cheating Belicheat has notable chinks in his armor there. He's not a great GM. He's lucky he's had Brady and that Bledsoe got hurt that year, or he'd be doing what we've been doing with QBs like Bledsoe and a litany of who knows which others.

Brady's a once-in-a-coaching-career find.

Even back then though, the Bills' secondary really wasn't all that. It was very average but just "played well" because of the front-7. We had killer depth in the F7 too back then.

Here you go sir:

http://www.buffalobi...ea-f4dff890bd41

I think it's around 25 minutes in or so? Could be a earlier.

Thurman was still a year away. Shula said it himself the day we acquired Bennett. "Buffalo has a pass rush now." Which is what we needed to get past Miami in the division. Polian said the same thing. Bennett's impact was immediate, from the moment he entered his first game against Denver. His presence altered Miami's attack against us and prevented other teams from making Bruce the sole focus as well.

I'd say that Kelly, Thurman, Reed, Lofton, as well as Bruce, Bennett, and our OLine had more to do with establishing sustained dominance in the conference, but the first order or business was getting past Miami. Just as the first order of business now is getting past Brady and the Pats*.

GO BILLS!!!

Here we go... lol

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet 10m

Or Watkins RT @PriscoCBS: So Bills fans, Whaley said Bills open to moving up. Clowney? And you ripped me for it this week

:lol:

So Whaley gives a completely general stock quote that every GM gives when interviewed and that's vindication for Prisco?...Whatever...

OK...Pete...You were right...Whaley did not guarantee 100% that there was no way the Bills would trade up in the Draft...Goodness... :doh: