How do you like these landing strips?

Beerball

I have a bit of a fear of flying. My wife an I vacation in St. Martin pretty regularly (I think our 5th trip there was in December). Every time we come in to land I think we're going right in the drink or into the people/beach bar. There's been some close calls as shown by lots of YouTube videos.

Taking off isn't much better either as it's a short runway and there's mountains in front of you. Pretty much as soon as you get in the air they're banking hard. This year we actually took off "in reverse" towards the water. I've never seen a plane take off in that direction in all my time there, and I've spent a lot of time out on our balcony watching planes come and go. The guy next to us said "in my 30+times here we've never gone this way!". Comforting...It's real crazy watching the huge KLM airlines jets takeoff & land there.

Edited by billsfanmiami(oh)

Jackson Hole is pretty wild flying into. One time we were the last plane (American) landing before they closed due to a storm. Landing, you were on pins and needles knowing the normal sized jet was just good enough size to land... We couldn't see anything and knew there were mountains all around. Anyway, we landed kinda like a Chicago Midway landing. That is on short landing where the pilot jammed it into reverse hard... The plane in Jackson was skidding all over the place. Anyway, the Teton Pass was closed for almost a week... I don't think they could even find it for a few days. The people that were stuck up in Idaho @ Grand Targhee must have been loving it... Normally a lot of untracked powder even when the place is accessible. Jackson was great too... But the storm closed down a Rendezvous mountain for a couple of days... When it was opened, it was heaven on earth!

If I had the resources, I would love to hit them all! They talk about one in Nepal, with a 9,000 ft plunge at the end of the runway as if that is a bad thing. Instant altitiude, dude! Sounds like a blast!!! The only one that would freak me out (in a jumbo) would be Hong-Kong, where not only is there a mountain and skyscrapers, but you must perform a very hard bank right into the final approach. That one was a terrible design from the get-go.

If I had the resources, I would love to hit them all! They talk about one in Nepal, with a 9,000 ft plunge at the end of the runway as if that is a bad thing. Instant altitiude, dude! Sounds like a blast!!! The only one that would freak me out (in a jumbo) would be Hong-Kong, where not only is there a mountain and skyscrapers, but you must perform a very hard bank right into the final approach. That one was a terrible design from the get-go.

Not enough resources in the world to get me to land at any one of those deathtraps

I love landing! Taking off not so much. I've done two go around landings flying into Buff. One was for geese on the runway the other because there was a plane on the runway...WTF?? I sent my wife a text after the first on and said "that was cool" She asked "how much have you had to drink?" seeing she knows I'm not a great flyer. "Ohhhhh, just a couple."

Still clicked on the link, and likely should not have while at work, even though I wanted to see what you were thinking.

You thought the images might have been of the other kind of landing strips, and I wanted to see real landing strips? :o

I have no idea what you are referring to. This thread's title is both accurate and descriptive.

True. But the content was still disappointing nevertheless. ;)

Wau, New Guinea, World War II. 12% grade, 3000 feet long, with a mountain at the up-slope end. Which meant that, to land, your only approach (which was not trivial) was from down-slope...so you had to line up, then climb to land while keeping your airspeed low enough that you could stop before you hit the mountain (made easier, of course, by the fact that you're moving uphill). And you could only effectively use half the runway, since you were climbing AND had to clear the jungle at the down-slope end. And no go-arounds, you had one chance, because...y'know, mountain. Then taking off again, though it was downhill, wasn't much better.

I don't think it's much better today. New Guinea is a really !@#$ed-up place.