New Best Seller In Economics

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.nationalr...iamson/page/0/1

Capitalism must be denounced afresh for each generation, and this generation’s fashionable anticapitalist is Thomas Piketty of France’s School for the Advanced Study of Social Sciences and author of Capital in the Twenty-First Century, about which a great deal has been written by much more knowledgeable writers than I. Like most anticapitalists, Professor Piketty is taken with the question of inequality rather than with the separate question of poverty, and his focus is most intensely upon those high-earning managers of capital. But as Clive Crook notes in his review of the book, the question of whether income inequality widens in the future “won’t matter as much as whether and how quickly wages and living standards rise.” Which is to say, if the real standard of living for the poor and the middle classes continues to increase — as it has for virtually the entire history of modern capitalism — then it will not matter if the standards of living for the very wealthy increase even more quickly. On the other hand, if living standards decline or stagnate, it will not matter very much to anybody besides political entrepreneurs whether inequality also decreases. Higher standards of living across the board are perfectly compatible with higher levels of income inequality, a pattern that has been seen not only among such alleged practitioners of cowboy capitalism as the United States but also in European welfare states such as Sweden, where income inequality is increasing just as it is in the United States.

Envy will remain a powerful social force as long as so many of our 21st-century rich have the manners and tastes of the Kardashians rather than those of Thacher Longstreth, and the Left will forever appeal to our baser natures. But that will only be politically potent so long as we conservatives are not offering a compelling alternative. It is important that we persuade more Americans that they, too, can make the leap from chimney sweep to man of means and arrive at that happy moment in life when they begin to worry about their children growing up spoiled. That article of faith is necessary, but it is more important that it be true, and making it so will require simply everything that conservatives have to offer, from the fiscal to the familial.

Edited by 3rdnlng

http://www.nationalr...iamson/page/0/1

Envy will remain a powerful social force as long as so many of our 21st-century rich have the manners and tastes of the Kardashians rather than those of Thacher Longstreth, and the Left will forever appeal to our baser natures.

Lol, and Conservatives are going to change the cultural habits of the super wealthy how??

This is simply ridiculous

In the nineteen-fifties, the average American chief executive was paid about twenty times as much as the typical employee of his firm. These days, at Fortune 500 companies, the pay ratio between the corner office and the shop floor is more than two hundred to one, and many C.E.O.s do even better. In 2011, Apple’s Tim Cook received three hundred and seventy-eight million dollars in salary, stock, and other benefits, which was sixty-two hundred and fifty-eight times the wage of an average Apple employee. A typical worker at Walmart earns less than twenty-five thousand dollars a year; Michael Duke, the retailer’s former chief executive, was paid more than twenty-three million dollars in 2012. The trend is evident everywhere. According to a recent report by Oxfam, the richest eighty-five people in the world—the likes of Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, and Carlos Slim—own more wealth than the roughly 3.5 billion people who make up the poorest half of the world’s population.

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2014/03/31/140331crbo_books_cassidy?currentPage=all

Have not read it, no. My opinion is that a wave is slowly building just like with the income tax amendment or freeing the slaves. I think most people see the immense amount of wealth controlled by the few is just not right when we have so many problems that can be solved with more resources. The Pope has expressed this point and I'd guess the sentiment will continue to grow

We have been throwing tons of resources at poverty for over 50 years. Please explain in 100 words or less why we still have poverty. Aaaaaaaaaaaaand Go!

http://www.newyorker...currentPage=all

To you that's ridiculous. To me that's an incentive to get a corner office. Well I already have one but it's an incentive to get a bigger one.

Lol, and Conservatives are going to change the cultural habits of the super wealthy how??

Is that all you got out of that article? The standard of living has gone up for the poor and middle class over the years. So what if it has gone up disproportionately for the wealthiest?

If the book speaks to the gaps in effort, risk and education between high income earners and lower income earners, I'd find it interesting. If it also addresses how lower income people can become more productive AND what policy changes might cause economic growth AND how to increase demand for labor then it could be a winner. That is if it doesn't use increased taxation as the fix.

If the book promotes the idea of increasing taxes on high income people and companies or puts artificial limits on income, then it's just a piece of trash.

http://www.newyorker...currentPage=all

You may have missed a big opportunity this week. Ford's CEO is stepping down and they've announced that he will be replaced by the current COO who will in all likelihood be given a hefty compensation package. Mr. Gator you could have made a call to Ford and offered to take the job for $249K and no stock. Ford being in a very competitive business would have jumped at the chance I'm sure to replace the CEO at a relatively low cost. It would help their bottom line.

Edited by keepthefaith

We have been throwing tons of resources at poverty for over 50 years. Please explain in 100 words or less why we still have poverty. Aaaaaaaaaaaaand Go!

To you that's ridiculous. To me that's an incentive to get a corner office. Well I already have one but it's an incentive to get a bigger one.

1) And the efforts of the last 50 years have been successful, how many people starved during the last recession? Health care has improved, their is more security. But there is still more room for improvement. I hope you can understand that idea, good to better.

2) It is ridiculous. It doesn't take that large of an incentive to motivate people. Totally overkill

Is that all you got out of that article? The standard of living has gone up for the poor and middle class over the years. So what if it has gone up disproportionately for the wealthiest?

Can you explain that part of the article. And yes, things have improved, yet we still have major social problems that are solvable

And lets face it, you would get rid of all government solutions that work anyway. You don't think wealth inequality is high enough, right? The rich pay too much in taxes, the poor get too much help and the government is a waste. You guys just want to totally f over a huge portion of the population and laugh about it. Right?

1) And the efforts of the last 50 years have been successful, how many people starved during the last recession? Health care has improved, their is more security. But there is still more room for improvement. I hope you can understand that idea, good to better.

So we have all this in place to protect starvation in the once in a lifetime great recession/depression. Great system. :rolleyes: