New Best Seller In Economics

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First what bestseller list is it on and second do you have any idea what it takes to be on a bestseller list?

First what bestseller list is it on and second do you have any idea what it takes to be on a bestseller list?

http://www.allbookstores.com/bestsellers/economics

No, what does it take?

Seems like a lot of the media is in a tizzy over this. (note to the brain washed conserve-bots, that includes the many Conservatives in the media)

I wouldn't be surprised at all if his message has the same long range impact as Herbert Croly's book did about 100 years ago. Look it up sport.

And that has precisely what to do with your inflating its popularity to justify your own stupidity?

And that has precisely what to do with your inflating its popularity to justify your own stupidity?

I can't explain everything to you Tom, but if enough influenfical people read stuff like this, it could matter. D-Bags like you don't need to read important works for history to move forward. Conservative trash has always been fighting to stop progress all through history.

I can't explain everything to you Tom, but if enough influenfical people read stuff like this, it could matter. D-Bags like you don't need to read important works for history to move forward. Conservative trash has always been fighting to stop progress all through history.

Like when the conservatives tried to stop the abolition of slavery?

Is that what makes it a best-seller? That "influenfical" [sic] people read it?

You have the most narrow world-view of anyone I've ever seen.

What does it take for "history to move forward"? Please explain what would keep history from moving forward.

Thomas Piketty has taken America’s liberal establishment by storm. Piketty is a French economist who has written a lengthy (577 pages) study, “Capital in the Twenty-First Century,” intended to provide a powerful intellectual justification for attacking the super-rich. Surprisingly, “Capital” hit No. 16 on the New York Times’ best-seller list for hardcover nonfiction books — a considerable feat for an academic treatise that, though clearly written, is no page-turner.

Agree or disagree with his views, Piketty’s project represents a prodigious research achievement. With other economists, he has constructed statistics tracing the distribution of income and wealth for many major countries back to the 1800s. The most obvious conclusion from the data is common-sensical: Even relatively egalitarian societies have huge disparities in economic fortune.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/robert-j-samuelson-class-warfare-justified/2014/04/20/0fe43ae0-c730-11e3-8b9a-8e0977a24aeb_story.html

Interesting review

What does it take for "history to move forward"? Please explain what would keep history from moving forward.

But first, explain how the past moves forward. :wallbash:

Do you have an opinion on the book? Have you read the book?

It's a best-seller*. That's all he needs to know.

*Among all non-fiction economics books last week.

But first, explain how the past moves forward. :wallbash:

It's a best-seller*. That's all he needs to know.

*Among all non-fiction economics books last week.

It has really sent shock waves through the financial community. Haven't seen uproar and outrage like this since Flash Boys rocked the industry.

Do you have an opinion on the book? Have you read the book?

Have not read it, no. My opinion is that a wave is slowly building just like with the income tax amendment or freeing the slaves. I think most people see the immense amount of wealth controlled by the few is just not right when we have so many problems that can be solved with more resources. The Pope has expressed this point and I'd guess the sentiment will continue to grow

It has really sent shock waves through the financial community. Haven't seen uproar and outrage like this since Flash Boys rocked the industry.

Truly earth-shattering. Never has a book so rocked an industry based on book sales alone.

Have not read it, no. My opinion is that a wave is slowly building just like with the income tax amendment or freeing the slaves. I think most people see the immense amount of wealth controlled by the few is just not right when we have so many problems that can be solved with more resources. The Pope has expressed this point and I'd guess the sentiment will continue to grow

What does it take for "history to move forward"?