Letters to the editor ref Empire....

Tom

The Buffalo News Letters :devil:

Our readers speak out

1/23/2005

The fall of an Empire

I am among the many Empire Sports Network alumni who are deeply saddened by the demise of the network.

I was lucky to have been there in various capacities from the start. There were many great people there, both experienced professionals and those who worked extraordinarily hard while learning the business. All of us were driven by a love of sports. Empire saved me when the Sabres moved from separate radio and TV broadcasts to a simulcast. It was a privilege to be part of the FAN TV team. I have continued to watch since moving away more than six years ago. Even with the reduction in the network's originated programming, it was still fun to watch.

From afar, I thought the $17.5 million offer could have/should have saved it as an entity. That's what truly makes the folding announcement all the more painful to those who were left there. Empire's legacy will be the Sabres' broadcasts, widely viewed around the NHL as the best local package in the league. The presentation was unique and always well done. I wish only the best for all who have worked there - and hope that some reasonable replacement could be developed for the audience that has been left behind.

Pete Weber

Nashville Predators

Antioch, Tenn.

Good luck, Empire crew

At 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Western New York sports fans were dealt a damaging body blow. Instead of tuning in to the Empire Sports Network and watching Jason Bristol anchor "The Sports Report," we were treated to taped programming.

That's because earlier that afternoon the 30 remaining hard-working, dedicated and talented employees at Empire Sports Network - down from a one-time level of more than 100 - were presented with pink slips, effective immediately.

We can thank the Rigas family and the current Adelphia Communications management team for this black eye on our community. More than what the network provided our local sports fans, it helped position our big league city to sports fans and former residents around the country. Many of the calls to their talk shows and the Sabres' postgame programs featured callers from all over the country.

Adelphia, which is in bankruptcy court, could have saved Empire by accepting a $17 million offer from a group headed by Buffalo native Joshua Pollack. He did not want to see his hometown's local sports network leave the airwaves after Adelphia had already pulled the plug on its all-sports radio station.

The losers in all of this are not only the fans, but the local professional, college, high school and amateur teams that received excellent coverage on the station's three half-hour daily shows. It also presented coverage of all major sporting events and featured talk shows with some of our top sports journalists and celebrities.

The employee loss count is another negative to our region but it's more than that - the station carried our flag across the nation to sports fans everywhere.

To everyone who ever worked at Empire, we will miss you and godspeed in your quest for future employment.

Michael J. Billoni

Kenmore