Who's doing Dyngus Day?

Yet another year I can't be in Buffalo for the mother of all parties. But I do plan to join the Boston Bills Backers for a little soiree at the Tavern at the End of The Word in Charlestown. Anyone here planning to whip the pussywillow?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Recovering from the Dyngus hangover. I have to say it's a very entertaining festival. Thousands of people takeover that part of the east side for an evening with Them Idiots rocking the polka. As one of our crew described it, "it's St. Patrick's Day without someone puking on your feet."

Recovering from the Dyngus hangover. I have to say it's a very entertaining festival. Thousands of people takeover that part of the east side for an evening with Them Idiots rocking the polka. As one of our crew described it, "it's St. Patrick's Day without someone puking on your feet."

I'm surprised it's not bigger. I mean look how huge Cinco de Mayo got. This is the perfect drinking holiday halfway between Cinco and St. Patty's.

I'm surprised it's not bigger. I mean look how huge Cinco de Mayo got. This is the perfect drinking holiday halfway between Cinco and St. Patty's.

Of all places it is big in, South Bend, Indiana... Really... But they celebrate everything there.

It doesn't always fall halfway between St. Pat's and Cinco de Mayo. Easter falls in March some years.

I think the problem w/Dyngus Day is when it is celebrated. Monday after Easter Sunday. Not having a set day of the month is a hinderance. Nobody really knows when Easter is until they look @ the calendar. So Monday after kinda means nothing. Dyngus Day can float for a full month depending on when Easter falls (the moon).

When is it gonna be next year? I can't give a date until I look @ a calendar. Figuring out Easter Sunday is a pain too. First Sunday of the first full moon after the spring equinox (March 21st).

Just saying, logistically harder to catch traction than say the 5th of May or 17th of March... With both of those days not contingent on day like Dyngus. Now, mix in that Dyngus Day must always fall on a Monday. Not so with the other days. St. Pat's & Cinco can fall on Friday's... Which is a plus. Even when they fall early in the week, they push festivities to a weekend before or after. I can't see that happening w/Dyngus Day. Just wouldn't do "it" justice.

Typical Buffalo, handcuffed with so many other issues... ;-) ;-)

It gets bigger every year. In fact, we both agreed this was probably our last because it's losing its charm--very difficult to get into some of the venues.

Of all places it is big in, South Bend, Indiana... Really... But they celebrate everything there.

It doesn't always fall halfway between St. Pat's and Cinco de Mayo. Easter falls in March some years.

I think the problem w/Dyngus Day is when it is celebrated. Monday after Easter Sunday. Not having a set day of the month is a hinderance. Nobody really knows when Easter is until they look @ the calendar. So Monday after kinda means nothing. Dyngus Day can float for a full month depending on when Easter falls (the moon).

When is it gonna be next year? I can't give a date until I look @ a calendar. Figuring out Easter Sunday is a pain too. First Sunday of the first full moon after the spring equinox (March 21st).

Just saying, logistically harder to catch traction than say the 5th of May or 17th of March... With both of those days not contingent on day like Dyngus. Now, mix in that Dyngus Day must always fall on a Monday. Not so with the other days. St. Pat's & Cinco can fall on Friday's... Which is a plus. Even when they fall early in the week, they push festivities to a weekend before or after. I can't see that happening w/Dyngus Day. Just wouldn't do "it" justice.

Typical Buffalo, handcuffed with so many other issues... ;-) ;-)

the better comp point really is mardi gras not st pattys.... its the day after lent, MG is the day before lent.

the trick for most cities would be getting enough momentum for it to be able to warrant a vacation day for participants, and then maybe even a true holiday designation in some of the neighborhoods that it really takes off in.

It gets bigger every year. In fact, we both agreed this was probably our last because it's losing its charm--very difficult to get into some of the venues.

The weather was great for it. Did St Stans and the Polish Library. But a BIG let-down is the Central Terminal not being open. Would have liked to have done some of the small corner bars though

The weather was great for it. Did St Stans and the Polish Library. But a BIG let-down is the Central Terminal not being open. Would have liked to have done some of the small corner bars though

I heard the group that manages the Central Terminal had a falling out with the Dyngus Day organizers (and others.) Too bad.

the better comp point really is mardi gras not st pattys.... its the day after lent, MG is the day before lent.

the trick for most cities would be getting enough momentum for it to be able to warrant a vacation day for participants, and then maybe even a true holiday designation in some of the neighborhoods that it really takes off in.

Good point... I forgot about Shrove Tuesday... But that's Tuesday, who works on Tuesday? ;-P ;-P

we did st Stan's too, and was very fun. We always end up at polish cadets on grant st because there's no crowd.

This is the one Buffalo party event I have never participated in(probably because in my prime partying years it wasn't that big then) but I would really like to check it out one of these years. The only problem is it does always seem to fall in the middle of a time where there's a lot going on(Easter, a lot of sports things going on, beginning of golf season,etc.) and its tough to justify using a vaca day at work for something like that. I'm thinking maybe next year i'll skip out on St. Paddy's Day and take In Dyngus Day instead. Like somebody mentioned above though if it gets too big, where it looks like its headed, it will lose its charm as all the dbags start coming out for it.

Tuesday 530am I texted my boss.................won't see me today :beer:

The first spring day where it was nice enough to play a round of golf I called in because I said I had some "personal business" I had to attend to.....boy did I sure feel like an a**hole when I walked into work the next day with a glaring sunburn whoops :doh:

Edited by BillsPride12