Jay Glazer is one tough guy

Wow - that's a crazy story.

He's screwed. Lungs will never be the same. Aspiration pneumonitis is awful and will lead to fibrosis most of the time. He is lucky he wasn't in the hospital for weeks.

Really? It doesn't sound good so far for him.

Not always. It depends on the etiology. It sounds like you are in medicine as am I. These next few months really matter. I lost my mom to pulmonary fibrosis. It's a horrible condition. For those who don't know, fibrotic means your tissue dies slowly. So in effect, your lungs slowly die from the bottom up, and you slowly over years suffocate. Your alveoli in the lungs slowly fails to work so you do not have the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide.

You would end up on oxygen, and even that won't work. It's a bad way to die.

I don't know Glazer but hope he is ok.

It's a good thing he was prone. It's not very rare for there to be some reflux or aspiration at induction of anesthesia. Since he was out in 4 days, he was likely not on a ventilator. This makes his prognosis for full recovery more likely.

For elective surgery, always go to the OR with an empty stomach, except for crucial meds with a sip of water--no matter what the hospital (or sworse, the surgicenter) tells you.

he was likely not on a ventilator.

For elective surgery, always go to the OR with an empty stomach, except for crucial meds with a sip of water--no matter what the hospital (or sworse, the surgicenter) tells you.

Two serious sets of questions:

First:

How could one aspirate while intubated? Is the outer diameter of the ventilator tube less than the inner diameter of the trachea? If so, then how does the chest rise when the ventilator pumps air in, rather than air just rushing out of the trachea around the tube? Wondering how barf ends up in ones lungs while a tube is in his/her breathe pipe.

Second:

Is there acid in an empty stomach? If so, it seems like antacids would be a smart idea before a surgery to diminish potential lung damage should aspiration occur. I'd rather have to deal with chalk lung over acid lung.

Thanks!

Edited by BILLS_ROC

I can only speak from personal experience, if I wait till late in the afternoon to have surgery I am sick after puking up Bile/ Stomach acid. The stomach doesn't stop making the stuff just because you aren't eating. and since you aren't to help get rid of it... A surgery I had in September I woke up, went to the post op room and had to puke. It was pure blood. Did it 2 more times and that got the nurses going quickly. Then in comes this top old hat nurse that doctors were parting the way for and she noticed my Oxygen levels sucked. So we do a breathing treatment. I start coughing up blood. NOW people are starting to hop lol. long story short, the blade they used to insert the tube somehow cut my trachea, so I bled during surgery into my stomach and lungs. I was fortunate it was a short surgery or it could have been bad. **** like this just happens.

Not always. It depends on the etiology. It sounds like you are in medicine as am I. These next few months really matter. I lost my mom to pulmonary fibrosis. It's a horrible condition. For those who don't know, fibrotic means your tissue dies slowly. So in effect, your lungs slowly die from the bottom up, and you slowly over years suffocate. Your alveoli in the lungs slowly fails to work so you do not have the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide.

You would end up on oxygen, and even that won't work. It's a bad way to die.

I don't know Glazer but hope he is ok.

My Dad took 5 years to die from emphysema. He started at 200lbs and was 98 lbs the day he died. The guy who does our family funerals had known my dad for over 40 years, he needed an old picture to help get him where he was for the funeral. Stuff like that is a horrible way to die

I really hope I never need surgery again............I was afraid enough about it because I woke up last time during the surgery. It's that nightmare where the monster or whoever is going to kill you but you're paralyzed and can't run - only you're not dreaming. Luckily for me, the pain part of the anesthesia was working still. Some people this happens to and they feel the pain of the knife, the saw, etc.

Now I have to worry about this other stuff I never heard of?!?