Fan Advisory Board - feedback wanted on a couple of things

What about those crack pipe looking e-cig things?? Are they banned?? I had someone down by me last year smoking on of those in his seat and the "enforcement" was called and had no idea wtf to do... It smelled like he was smoking pancakes... Hahaha.

Where I work anyway they are also banned. There is still 2nd hand smoke with them.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting caught smoking in the stadium and merely having cigarettes ON you is two different things... I drive over 2 hours for every home game, and if I get banned or ejected for forgetting to remove my cigarettes from my pocket, not only can they kiss my ass, but they can count on 2 less season ticket holders and two less fans. I find it difficult to lobby FOR such an unhealthy habit, but I do like to have a smoke while walking from the parking area to the stadium. I respect the no smoking policy while inside. I like to have a cigarette on the walk back to the parking area from the stadium. I think any drastic measures is asinine.

What benefits to the fans would there be with the reduced enforcement that you speak of? The team certainly isn't going to reduce ticket costs...

What about those crack pipe looking e-cig things?? Are they banned?? I had someone down by me last year smoking on of those in his seat and the "enforcement" was called and had no idea wtf to do... It smelled like he was smoking pancakes... Hahaha.

Benefit to fans of not having as many people assigned to smoking ban enforcement would be that they would be doing something else - keeping people from sliding down railings and other stupid stuff like that.

And yes, E-cigs are also banned because they are too difficult to differentiate from regular cigs.

I dont mind enforcing smoking in the stadium. Fine. Anyone caught is a dummy.

I do think they should have/could have made a better sectioned smoking area with these "upgrades".

It would be stupid to create a rule that you cant even have them on you. That is over the top.

Getting caught smoking in the stadium and merely having cigarettes ON you is two different things... I drive over 2 hours for every home game, and if I get banned or ejected for forgetting to remove my cigarettes from my pocket, not only can they kiss my ass, but they can count on 2 less season ticket holders and two less fans. I find it difficult to lobby FOR such an unhealthy habit, but I do like to have a smoke while walking from the parking area to the stadium. I respect the no smoking policy while inside. I like to have a cigarette on the walk back to the parking area from the stadium. I think any drastic measures is asinine.

What benefits to the fans would there be with the reduced enforcement that you speak of? The team certainly isn't going to reduce ticket costs...

many stadiums are banning e-cigarrettes. in your case, you could walk to the stadium smoking but leave the pack behind. the only change would be that youd have to make the walk back without one. when you get to the gate most stadiums make you empty your pockets and just like a beer or pocket knife you could either toss the pack or walk back to the car.

the change wouldnt be reduced cost, but likely better enforcement of things like sliding on the rails.

they would be doing something else - keeping people from sliding down railings and other stupid stuff like that.

ha - just saw you used the same comment

How about this for an idea. One way to be able to make fans safer by enforcing the rules is to install a series of cameras around the stadium. Someone in security would use the cameras to scan all of the sections during the game. If (s)he sees some idiot getting ready to slide down a railing, or staggering drunk, or smoking or whatever they radio the nearest security officers to the section and gives them a seat location. So if there is a ban say on smoking they can eject the person even if they are done smoking by the time security gets there. They can bring the person to the security office and show them the video of the infraction. They could even use the fancy new WiFi and equip security officers with tablets to positively identify the offender and show them if they protest.

That would really help enforce the rules, wouldn't cost very much, and would still allow for people to carry cigs into the stadium if they wanted to for after they leave the stadium.

Edited by CodeMonkey

How about this for an idea. One way to be able to make fans safer by enforcing the rules is to install a series of cameras around the stadium. Someone in security would use the cameras to scan all of the sections during the game. If (s)he sees some idiot getting ready to slide down a railing, or staggering drunk, or smoking or whatever they radio the nearest security officers to the section and gives them a seat location. So if there is a ban say on smoking they can eject the person even if they are done smoking by the time security gets there. They can bring the person to the security office and show them the video of the infraction. They could even using the fancy new WiFi and equip security officers with tablets to positively identify the offender and show them if they protest.

That would really help enforce the rules, wouldn't cost very much, and would still allow for people to carry cigs into the stadium if they wanted to for after they leave the stadium.

I'm not so sure they don't already do this.

Seat cushions...nice to have but I have some if I want them, its not like I am sitting the whole game anyway, since we have a "standing-for-every-down-no-matter-how-bad-the-score-gets" mentality in my new section which negates any reason for having a cushion.

As to the cigarette ban, I do like to smoke on my way in and out of the stadium, to ban the product or even worse eject someone for having cigarettes is completely out of bounds. If they followed the examples of a few other stadiums and created a smoking area, they may not have to have the extra security for policing the smokers. By and large, most smokers will go where you tell them, just give them 2 locations and let them have at it.

As to the cigarette ban, I do like to smoke on my way in and out of the stadium, to ban the product or even worse eject someone for having cigarettes is completely out of bounds. If they followed the examples of a few other stadiums and created a smoking area, they may not have to have the extra security for policing the smokers. By and large, most smokers will go where you tell them, just give them 2 locations and let them have at it.

I agree. In my view, smoking in seated areas and bathrooms has increased 10X since the ban.

I see why they did it. The "smoking areas" before were right there in the concourse and just a small, crudely painted area that was completely overrun at halftime.

With these upgrades/re-zoning, they could have made an area further from the concourse that would make it available so people can get their "fix", while keeping it far enough from civilians. People wouldnt need to necessarily smoke in their seats and they can concentrate on railing sliders

If they did then enforcement would be easy without needing to stripsearch people coming into the stadium for cigs.

Same for drunks etc.

every major event ive gone to i need to empty my pockets - id hardly call it a strip search.

I won't rent a sear cushion.

Banning bringing cigs into the game even if you don't smoke them seems over the top.

As far as policing it, it's part of the cost of doing business if you are in the business of selling mass quantities of alcohol. Once smoking drunks get lit, they light up. With lowered inhibitions, even if it's outlawed they'll go for it. Funnel a small amount of the huge profits realized on game day by selling alcohol and bust the drunk smokers.

I bet if I was so inclined and wanted to smuggle forbidden butts into the game it would be very easy. Slip the pack into t a bag of peanuts and put that in your clear plastic bag.

Will it be illegal to possess a lighter too?

I agree. In my view, smoking in seated areas and bathrooms has increased 10X since the ban.

thats interesting, Jay i wonder if that is the Bills take as well. As you mentioned, the Bills may not have a choice in the matter, but wonder if they have seen an increase in scofflaws as well?

OT again, but saw something on TC the other day that was commenting how so many municipalities sold off their jails right before prohibition started..thinking was that alcohol was the root of all evil, most committed when people were liquored up, so there fore crime would be practically non existent if alcohol was banned. They did not see the 10x rise in crime coming LOL

I don't think banning the product in somebody's pocket is the answer. Maybe a more harsh penalty for those actually caught, or a couple designated smoking areas.

They try to ban alcohol, yet I see people smuggling in containers of booze darn near every week. I don't want to become a cigarette smuggler, but holy cow..

I wouldn't use the seat cushions, but it is a pretty solid idea, IMO.

I have no hard opinion on the cigarette topic, but if the policy is going to change on whether or not you can bring them in, or some are going to enforce it and some aren't, it needs to be in writing. It really aggravates me when people get hassled for things that aren't specifically banned. For example, every game for the last two years, I brought in a half sheet of blank poster board and a marker. No problems from anybody, until the jets game last season, because according to the officer that took it from me in the concourse, I could write profanity on the sign. Whatever.

There were 2 things brought up as possibilities during the FAB meeting that I'd like to get feedback on.

1) For season ticket holders, they're looking at the possibility of doing what many other teams (college & pro) do and offer season-long rentals on seat cushions that would be attached to your seat. It would be one of the first 2 on this page: http://www.imgcollegeseating.com/our-seats.cfm - They would take care of any maintenance/replacement needed. Cost would probably be about $5/game/seat. These would not be available on a per-game basis - only season-long.

2) Note that this is just an idea and nobody's going anywhere with it right now. But the idea is that since smoking is banned in the stadium, what if they added cigarettes to the list of things not allowed to even be brought in (like alcohol)? A good portion of game-day enforcement is around the smoking ban. If being found with cigarettes was an immediate ejection perhaps the enforcement effort would be reduced.

If you attend games and have any thoughts on either of these, I'd be interested in hearing them.

1. Sure

2. Absolutely. It could eliminate some unnecessary fights. I know with alcohol fights will always be there, but this could help get rid of these fights:

A. "Hey, will you put that out? I've got kid with asthma."

B. "Mind your f'ing business."

A. "Its stadium policy a-hole."

B. Throws punch.

I saw this scenario play out a couple years ago.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

My point during the meeting on this smoking topic was that, at least at the outset, you're moving the confrontation from inside the stadium out to the gates, making it tougher for everyone to get in.

This is 100% true. And the rationale for banning cigarettes on one's person is illogical. By getting rid of the designated smoking areas, the Bills created the problem of enforcing an extremely difficult thing to enforce. So their solution is to create another rule that's even more difficult to enforce?

A. "Hey, will you put that out? I've got kid with asthma."

B. "Mind your f'ing business."

A. "Its stadium policy a-hole."

B. Throws punch.

I saw this scenario play out a couple years ago.

Ding ding ding. This is the scenario that they are looking to avoid, and in my experience, is all too common in NFL stadiums. Ideally having cigarettes on your person shouldn't be a problem, but too many jerks ignore the rule, tell complainers to pound sand, and it creates an unnecessary hostile situation.

I think the better plan here is to ban them, confiscate cigarettes if found, and eject only if used. I think banning them sends enough of a message that their use will not be tolerated. No need to eject so long as they are not being used.