WTF Weather.com, really?!

boyst

All boats don't have motors... What about sailboats and kayaks/canoes?

Sorry... It is just a trade habit that I switch off between pleasure boats and recreational craft... There is commercial craft and pleasure craft... Pretty simple.

Again, sorry for busting on Buffalo, but this is why it is a hard sell. It has been a hard winter and people are itching to spend their money and get out @ the sign of the first nice weather! Here's open for a semi non-brutal ice out for the eastern basin of Lake Erie, the economy is already heating up in other places!

When jboys says he prefers motorboating I don't think

he means a ride in a boat.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hijack your thread boyst. ...<snip nonsense>

Just my 2 cents... Again, sorry to hijack the thread.

Pff, that's why I make threads like this. They're often nonsensical and primed for hijacking and random interjections of rather Nancy sounding things when we always have you to join us.

Don't apologize.

When jboys says he prefers motorboating I don't think

he means a ride in a boat.

I supposed it is possible to be done whilst riding in a boat.

Pff, that's why I make threads like this. They're often nonsensical and primed for hijacking and random interjections of rather Nancy sounding things when we always have you to join us.

Don't apologize.

I supposed it is possible to be done whilst riding in a boat.

No problem! WHILE I thank you for the heads up, I beg to disagree on what constitutes sounding "Nancy."

/_rant

If the shoe fits wear it. Strange, I never thought "pleasure" whatever was a "Nancy sounding" term. The term "pleasure" is used all over the country from Canada to Arkansas to Oregon to distinguish one of only two subgroups of vessels/craft that travel through the water. It is important to distinguish properly mainly for safety to life and property (I can explain if you want). See links below. The term does seem to have origins in England/Canada... So that's probably the "Nancy" sounding connection. One has to have a "pleasure craft operator card" in Canada. Pleasure boat/pleasure craft... Same difference as recreational craft/boat. It is a big distinction in areas that have commercial activity since the term "boats" doesn't make any sense... They are all boats, vessels, and craft on the water and there needs to be a distinguishing feature between what is what. Is one on the water for commerical reasons or pleasure/recreation? A vessel can usually only fall into one of the two groups (there are a few other exceptions like Fed/state/local gov't or research vessels, but they mostly meet the more rigourous commercial standards). I think the US Coast Guard would agree with me also on this matter. Call 'em for help and say: "Blah, blah, blah, I am on a boat... a boat you know!." They will ask you all kinds of questions. Now, just say: "Blah, blah, blah, I am on a blah, blah, blah pleasure/recreational craft/boat" and they will immediately know how to respond and what they are dealing with. Short and sweet, simple and the meat of the distress call can be handled. No time to worry about what sounds "Nancy" when your life and property are in danger. And party rendering aid are in no position to assume either. Again, very important distinguishing feature when out on the water.

Kinda funny since you use the British variant word: whilst. But, oh well. WHILE we are at it, maybe you can petition the country of Canada to change the name of their operator card. These people should be pleased to be schooled on what is "Nancy sounding":

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleasure_craft

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleasure_Craft_Operator_Card

http://www.greatlakes-seaway.com/en/recreational/pleasure-craft-guide/index.html

http://m.thecabin.net/latest-news/2013-05-24/corps-issues-small-craft-advisory-arkansas-river

"During the high flows, strong currents and large debris can threaten the safety of pleasure craft."

They even call them pleasure craft on the West Coast. So, I guess that is from England to Canada to Little Rock to Portland. The name seems pretty darn standard around the world:

http://www.northcoastoregon.com/2013/09/23/coast-guard-responding-to-vessel-submerged-on-the-columbia-river-north-of-portland/

"A 26-foot pleasure craft floats partially submerged on the Columbia River north of Portland, Ore., Sept. 16, 2013."

/_rant

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

No problem! WHILE I thank you for the heads up, I beg to disagree on what constitutes sounding "Nancy."

/_rant

If the shoe fits wear it. Strange, I never thought "pleasure" whatever was a "Nancy sounding" term. The term "pleasure" is used all over the country from Canada to Arkansas to Oregon to distinguish one of only two subgroups of vessels/craft that travel through the water. It is important to distinguish properly mainly for safety to life and property (I can explain if you want). See links below. The term does seem to have origins in England/Canada... So that's probably the "Nancy" sounding connection. One has to have a "pleasure craft operator card" in Canada. Pleasure boat/pleasure craft... Same difference as recreational craft/boat. It is a big distinction in areas that have commercial activity since the term "boats" doesn't make any sense... They are all boats, vessels, and craft on the water and there needs to be a distinguishing feature between what is what. Is one on the water for commerical reasons or pleasure/recreation? A vessel can usually only fall into one of the two groups (there are a few other exceptions like Fed/state/local gov't or research vessels, but they mostly meet the more rigourous commercial standards). I think the US Coast Guard would agree with me also on this matter. Call 'em for help and say: "Blah, blah, blah, I am on a boat... a boat you know!." They will ask you all kinds of questions. Now, just say: "Blah, blah, blah, I am on a blah, blah, blah pleasure/recreational craft/boat" and they will immediately know how to respond and what they are dealing with. Short and sweet, simple and the meat of the distress call can be handled. No time to worry about what sounds "Nancy" when your life and property are in danger. And party rendering aid are in no position to assume either. Again, very important distinguishing feature when out on the water.

Kinda funny since you use the British variant word: whilst. But, oh well. WHILE we are at it, maybe you can petition the country of Canada to change the name of their operator card. These people should be pleased to be schooled on what is "Nancy sounding":

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleasure_craft

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleasure_Craft_Operator_Card

http://www.greatlakes-seaway.com/en/recreational/pleasure-craft-guide/index.html

http://m.thecabin.net/latest-news/2013-05-24/corps-issues-small-craft-advisory-arkansas-river

"During the high flows, strong currents and large debris can threaten the safety of pleasure craft."

They even call them pleasure craft on the West Coast. So, I guess that is from England to Canada to Little Rock to Portland. The name seems pretty darn standard around the world:

http://www.northcoastoregon.com/2013/09/23/coast-guard-responding-to-vessel-submerged-on-the-columbia-river-north-of-portland/

"A 26-foot pleasure craft floats partially submerged on the Columbia River north of Portland, Ore., Sept. 16, 2013."

/_rant

i can't believe you guys are getting into this, this much. It was a joke. Jeez.

All you say may be correct, but if you just used "boat season" everyone here would have known what you meant. Just saying.

All you say may be correct, but if you just used "boat season" everyone here would have known what you meant. Just saying.

LoL... Why do think I am ranting...

Sorry... The term is second nature with me. I have been shown the errors of my way... I will remember it for next time...

You probably could have just x-d out that gmail tab, bro. :nana:

I figured it'd be for the best to cross it out. Anyone not smart enough to guess what it is - they're probably not someone I want to hear from.

And, just so you do not have to worry, Tom already has it so he doesn't have to spend the night guessing.

Did you really expect anything different....LOL

Did you really expect anything different....LOL

That's the beauty of this place and why it is so special... You should always expect something different. I feel my response was different. I was factual and never in the least bit offended by any of the comments. I knew he was busting on my sillyness.

I guess I'm an idiot.

No you are not.

I guess I'm an idiot.

wIth this statement, at the very second you posted I envision DC Tom sitting down somewhere at a lunch table eating a bologna sand which with a tweed coat just pausing and smiling not knowing why as harps play above and a light shines upon him as a gentle breeze blows across him whilst wondering what that moment means.

wIth this statement, at the very second you posted I envision DC Tom sitting down somewhere at a lunch table eating a bologna sand which with a tweed coat just pausing and smiling not knowing why as harps play above and a light shines upon him as a gentle breeze blows across him whilst wondering what that moment means.

lol. Then he probably choked on the sandwich.