WTF Weather.com, really?!

boyst

I guess it's either a good life to live or I get upset too easy at the simple stuff, but WTF Weather.com...

More then a foot of snow is coming? It's 81 degrees here and April!

So, I click on the link and they're talking about the upper midwest and 1,000 miles away from here, but in true Nancy Grace fashion they have to throw out the hysterical "breaking." Oh, and don't forget the little symbol for weather warning - you know, like maybe a frost warning or something of perhaps a little significance... nope. Pollen warning. It's Spring, no crap. It's when all cars turn yellow and you breath in tree sperm with every breath.

PHsmKQ6.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait a second... Upper Midwest... It is 75 degrees here right now... Supposed to be 70 tomorrow, but bottom does fall out with rain, snow, wind on Monday with a high of 42 and low of 28.

Oh wait, they must mean Upper Upper Midwest! Like Duluth or some place? Right now it is like 33 or whatever up there.

Again, closest part of the Upper Midwest to you is not a 1,000 miles away from you, let alone 500. The southern shoreline of Ohio from Toledo to Cleveland to the PA Line is considered "Upper Midwest." All of Michigan too.

You are just cranky, hate to see you @ 60! ;-P ;-P

Oh...All the Buffalo people. How is that slab of ice doing in front of Buffalo? I am not @ work today, but I noticed that we are getting pounded with pleasure boats there... Pleasure boat season is taking off in full force (finally) on Southern Lake Michigan!

The pleasure boat season really is hindered for poor Buffalo when winters are rough...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

lol...jboyst when reading this I have always hated weathermen. They piss me off with their dweeby suits, goofy mannerisms and worst of all - their corny jokes that the anchors all laugh at. You touched on the new age "weather alert" bull **** that really gets my goat. Every five minutes we have to hear how the Doppler has changed slightly. I felt like creating a thread (similar to Chef Jim's bicyclist one) "Have I mentioned Recently how much I hate weathermen".

Oh...All the Buffalo people.

but I noticed that we are getting pounded with pleasure boats there...

Pleasure boat season is taking off in full force (finally) on Southern Lake Michigan!

The pleasure boat season really is hindered for poor Buffalo when winters are rough...

we may have ice on the lake and in the River still. But at least I don't use the term "Pleasure Boat Season"

Queerest thing I've ever heard. I'll take my ice thank you.

we may have ice on the lake and in the River still. But at least I don't use the term "Pleasure Boat Season"

Queerest thing I've ever heard. I'll take my ice thank you.

What else do you use? Recreational craft... It is pleasure boat season and Buffalo's number one asset is iced in! I am trying hard not to knock Buffalo, but the season is so short. Nothing to brag @ here, but there is a whole two months more to the season (whatever you want to call it).

Maybe it was good that Bass Pro pulled out... I just don't see how it could handle hard winters like this. If Buffalo is going to be a destination for its number one asset, it is gonna need lots of help from mother nature. The season kicks off way to slow. FWIW, recreational boating is a very big part of lots of economies... And if the boats are going elsewhere, that is a big problem w/competing and bring money in for an areas.

It has been a hard winter... And all up north are suffering... Lake Superior is still almost 100% iced, that's going to delay their summer recreational season... YET, areas made 10's of MILLIONS on the hard winter, bring in tourists that normally do not come for the off-season.

Just saying... It is what it is... Its mid-April, people wanna get rolling with their boats. I just don't see now an area like River Bend is going to make in the tough weather years... It is going to have to be all locals. Area's need to bring outsiders in to spend money. Not boosting on places like Chicago or even the Western Basin of Lake Erie... But those places become detsinations for people coming from othere areas... Fishing, boating, etc...

I am not sure what can be done... But something has to be done to lengthen the season so the area can utilize its number one asset to its fullest!

What else do you use? Recreational craft... It is pleasure boat season and Buffalo's number one asset is iced in! I am trying hard not to knock Buffalo, but the season is so short. Nothing to brag @ here, but there is a whole two months more to the season (whatever you want to call it).

Maybe it was good that Bass Pro pulled out... I just don't see how it could handle hard winters like this. If Buffalo is going to be a destination for its number one asset, it is gonna need lots of help from mother nature. The season kicks off way to slow. FWIW, recreational boating is a very big part of lots of economies... And if the boats are going elsewhere, that is a big problem w/competing and bring money in for an areas.

It has been a hard winter... And all up north are suffering... Lake Superior is still almost 100% iced, that's going to delay their summer recreational season... YET, areas made 10's of MILLIONS on the hard winter, bring in tourists that normally do not come for the off-season.

Just saying... It is what it is... Its mid-April, people wanna get rolling with their boats. I just don't see now an area like River Bend is going to make in the tough weather years... It is going to have to be all locals. Area's need to bring outsiders in to spend money. Not boosting on places like Chicago or even the Western Basin of Lake Erie... But those places become detsinations for people coming from othere areas... Fishing, boating, etc...

I am not sure what can be done... But something has to be done to lengthen the season so the area can utilize its number one asset to its fullest!

"Pleasure Boat Season" is just as queer as can be. Just say boat season. We all know boating is for pleasure. No need to add in the queer part.

I prefer motorboating.

All boats don't have motors... What about sailboats and kayaks/canoes?

Sorry... It is just a trade habit that I switch off between pleasure boats and recreational craft... There is commercial craft and pleasure craft... Pretty simple.

Again, sorry for busting on Buffalo, but this is why it is a hard sell. It has been a hard winter and people are itching to spend their money and get out @ the sign of the first nice weather! Here's open for a semi non-brutal ice out for the eastern basin of Lake Erie, the economy is already heating up in other places!

I understand what your saying and you have a point. But people of Buffalo don't gauge their love for the area based off the boating season. Sure, we enjoy it. But at the end of the day we know that they can be limited.

"Pleasure Boat Season" is just as queer as can be. Just say boat season. We all know boating is for pleasure. No need to add in the queer part.

No, not all boating is for pleasure or recreation.

Sorry. Here "boat season" is year 'round.. Boats move year 'round where there is commercial activity. It has to be distinguished, I haven't locked a pleasure/recreational craft in 5 months, but I have locked hundreds of boats since.

Wow... I never thought it was queer... Oh well...

I understand what your saying and you have a point. But people of Buffalo don't gauge their love for the area based off the boating season. Sure, we enjoy it. But at the end of the day we know that they can be limited.

I don't either guage it on that... BUT, it is an important part of the economy and could really could utilize its number one natural resource better to bring in an ecomomy... Especially during the months in flux between spring & summer, fall & winter... A lot of SPORTSMAN like to fish, tap into the billion dollar economy! It is a shame and it pisses me off... Just gotta watch the ice slowly melt away for a month... Guess what people are doing? Trailing their boats to other spots on nice weekends like this one!

To not look @ this part of the economy is very nearsighted. I am not saying places like Bass Pro were the answer, but even they gotta be dropping a huge sigh of relief not locating to the waterfront. A month idle while the temps are 70 is killer for a business. One can't even get on on the ice like January or February. It is just idle while everybody waits in flux!

I don't discriminate. I motorboat them all, sailboats, kayaks and even canoes.

LoL... Even a paddle boat? ;-P

I don't either guage it on that... BUT, it is an important part of the economy and could really could utilize its number one natural resource better to bring in an ecomomy... Especially during the months in flux between spring & summer, fall & winter... A lot of SPORTSMAN like to fish, tap into the billion dollar economy! It is a shame and it pisses me off... Just gotta watch the ice slowly melt away for a month... Guess what people are doing? Trailing their boats to other spots on nice weekends like this one!

To not look @ this part of the economy is very nearsighted. I am not saying places like Bass Pro were the answer, but even they gotta be dropping a huge sigh of relief not locating to the waterfront. A month idle while the temps are 70 is killer for a business. One can't even get on on the ice like January or February. It is just idle while everybody waits in flux!

LoL... Even a paddle boat? ;-P

fwiw, it was 70 today and probably very similar climate as in Chicago. The difference is the lake is still iced up. It is what it is. You feel that's a huge part of the economy... Great for you and Chicago. I personally don't believe I'm nearsighted, I just think it's over exaggerated. At least here it is. We don't look at it like that. At least nobody I come across in daily life is stressing about the amount of fishing that can be done, etc... In another few weeks we will be boating. No big deal. We will still be at the beach when it gets nice regardless. And personally, I think Bass Pro is a joke. Who cares about some fishing crap. But to each his own. And for consolation prize we are getting a very large Cabellas right near the Galleria Mall instead. F%#K bass pro.

Sorry to hijack your thread boyst. Buffalo could be more of a tourist destination, especially through the water. I have talked to a lot of people who do the Great Loop and many, if not most bypass Buffalo. I think opening up the waterfront is a good first step. Days like this the Coast Guard could be cutting ice and realeasing it through an opening in the boom... It would speed the boating/fishing season (is that better mrags? ;-P ) up. It is the least Niagara Mohawk (or whatever it is called now) and its Canadian counterpart can do... They can foot some of the bill... They don't care right now, they use the water for navigation. Yet, as we speak, they are silently building bigger water diversion tunnels in Ontario.

Just my 2 cents... Again, sorry to hijack the thread.