BBQ Question

Doesn't anyone cook on charcoal anymore???

Am I a dying breed?

I just read an article... You are supposed to stop cooking on charcoal... It hurts the environment for not being "green."

LoL...

Aside from expedience, what benefits does gas have?

I will see if I can find the article on my phone. It is about the things you should stop using right now... LoL... Yep, they say charcoal leads to more green house gases... Holy moly! LoL...

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my! I use a brass brush (softer) on only cold (Weber says to use a brush only on cold grates).

Anyway, doesn't she chew her food?

For Cletus:

http://mic.com/articles/91303/scientists-say-you-should-stop-using-your-charcoal-grill-immediately

I make my living being a killjoy! :nana:

It is literally life-changing. Even cooking, great grill marks, no burning or flare-ups. Money well spent.

I went with the smaller cheaper model-- Spirit series-- which I think was about $400. Even though the grill space is smaller, it seemed big enough for me. I grilled for a pretty big party of 20-25 people with no problem on it.

The Genesis series is a bigger grill and I think is around $700 or $800.

If I had to do it over again, I may have shelled out a bit more and just done the Genesis.

Aren't these gas grills?

Ju

It is literally life-changing. Even cooking, great grill marks, no burning or flare-ups. Money well spent.

I went with the smaller cheaper model-- Spirit series-- which I think was about $400. Even though the grill space is smaller, it seemed big enough for me. I grilled for a pretty big party of 20-25 people with no problem on it.

The Genesis series is a bigger grill and I think is around $700 or $800.

If I had to do it over again, I may have shelled out a bit more and just done the Genesis.

I like Bobby Flays BBQ Addiction show on FooD TV. This season he is doing basics, and some great recipes in there for different vegtablles and salads from the grill, and his basic shows he uses all Weber Genesis grill. On his regular BBQ addiction, he uses all kinds of grills, including an Egg, a kettle, Hibachi's and one of these, which is my next purchase.

http://www.homeportfolio.com/catalog/Product.jhtml?prodId=220400

cooking over charcoal...good.Cooking over hardwood...GREAT!!!!

NO FLARE UPS???? Even with burgers???

Mine is about 15 years old and I've semi-rebuilt it a couple of times.

When new, and tight, you hardly get flareups... as long as you keep the grease trap trays clean.

I do ribs a fair amount and they wreck havoc with the droppings down onto the flame guards.

When things start to build up and wear down you will get flareups - especially if you've got a pile of grease that needs to be tossed out.

I'm thinking I might need a new grill soon. Say in the next two years.

he uses all kinds of grills, including an Egg, a kettle, Hibachi's and one of these, which is my next purchase.

My backyard has turned into almost exactly this, though I genuinely can not remember the last time I fired up the gas grill. I have a mid-level grill I used almost all the time now, but I have a Weber Kettle and Weber Smoker next to my gas grill (VIking) and stand-by (Master Forge).

I came *this* close to buying the 36" version of this, but thought better of it at the last minute.

My backyard has turned into almost exactly this, though I genuinely can not remember the last time I fired up the gas grill. I have a mid-level grill I used almost all the time now, but I have a Weber Kettle and Weber Smoker next to my gas grill (VIking) and stand-by (Master Forge).

I came *this* close to buying the 36" version of this, but thought better of it at the last minute.

Ha..mine not quite that bad...but I have a Weber Summit Gold gas grill, an large egg, and a fireplace contraption I use to cook when I have a fire going. But that is to small and to much a pain in da ass to use very often....

In terms of that cowboy grill, I have seen that on TV in some cooking show or the other...looks pretty cool!

When new, and tight, you hardly get flareups... as long as you keep the grease trap trays clean.

I do ribs a fair amount and they wreck havoc with the droppings down onto the flame guards.

When things start to build up and wear down you will get flareups - especially if you've got a pile of grease that needs to be tossed out.

Getting 15 years out of a grill is incredible!!! I am lucky to get 4 out of mine!!! Very convincing, you guys are!!!

Was shocked to not see the word Egg in your response.

There should have been. I purchased a big green egg two weeks ago and have cooked on it every night since. Best BBQ I've had in...well, in forever. I'm in love.

I have been dodging the purchase of a weber grill... Consensus here seems to be that they are built sturdier, last longer, and cook better/more evenly... Did I miss anything?? I may have to get one...

And most importantly: Hell of a lot easier to clean! It is a breeze to tear it down, clean the trays, etc... You don't feel like you are going to break it!

Pyro....

And wets the bed @ night! ;-)

You might rage with the new Webers. The burners now run perpendicular to the front. I read where the old ones had the burners running parallel to the front face... Transversly running the long way that is. Is that how your 15 year old Weber is? Many complained when they changed the orientation. I assume they did it to cut down on production costs. They are already God awful expensive (but worth it).

Anyway, you might want to hang on to that grill forever... Last of the true dinosaurs! Don't heave, somebody may want it for exactly the purpose I stated above. Supposedly, the tranverse burners gave an even better grilling experience. I would imagine so. I have the sear burner, which heats one side up well past 700 degrees, even now with a dirty/sooty underbottom of the hood. Soot under the hood diminshes the reflective properties of the closed hood, which could mean less heat. BUT, I would think tranverse burners would be dynamite!

I have a weber genesis and I can say it is absolutely incredible.

Sure, it's not charcoal, but if your looking for gas/propane for a grill there isn't one better.

I never used tank exchange until recently... I usually use a tank a year... Keep one, now two on hand (I like being uber-proactive... ;-) ) BUT, have noticed that they seem to fill less with the exchanges. The tanks that I bought and baby... I get filled, they seem to have more fuel (heavier).

??

Edited by ExiledInIllinois