BBQ Question

rhis year I will have pulled pork with multiple sauces.

My preference has been the Carolina variety, with vinegar-based mop sauces, especially with some cold coleslaw on top. I have a great recipe from a bar-b-q book that I use and will try to find online. It's a genuine low-n-slow cook, many hours, but completely worth the effort.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other key is finding a good butcher and figuring out the cut of meat you like the most and learning how to tell the temp of your meat. Nothing worse than putting on a couple of steaks you paid $30 or more for, sitting down to eat them and noticing you cooked the **** out of them. Also less is more with the seasoning. Salt, fresh ground pepper a good olive oil and maybe some fresh hardy herbs (thyme or rosemary) on your steak. Add some garlic to the chicken (more subtle flavor) or some balsamic vinegar to your flank steak. Learn to make your own BBQ sauce. It may be nowhere as good as store bought the first time but play around with it. Nothing more satisfying than having great BBQ ribs with "your" sauce.

Oh and you drop a steak on the ground? That one goes to the wife. I mean hell guys, we did all the work. If she asks what the black bits are on her steak? Fresh ground black pepper dear, fresh ground pepper.

Last winter (2013) I had the inlaws over for dinner. I am one of these crazy bastards that grill all year round. Well I bought some nice strip steaks. Brought them in & sure enough as only my mother-in-law could say "mine is not cooked enough can you throw it back on the grill." Well I already took my boots off & just decided to put a pair of flip flops on to run it out to the grill for another 5 minutes. As I was taking it out I slipped on a piece of ice on the deck & my back/but landed square right on one of the steps. I am in serious pain & an instant welt the size of a grapefruite froms right over my tailbone. I thought I broke my tail bone. So my father in law helps me onto the couch, I am monaing in pain, they are all at the table eating & my M-i-l looks at me & says "I could see your going to blame this whole thing on me." My wife instantly says "of course he is not mom, it was an accident." I somehow pulled myself up from the couch, looked at my wife, looked at my mother-in-law & in agony said "your god dam right I am going to blame you, would it kill you to eat a rare piece of meat!!!!" That was over a year ago & the in-laws have not been over since for one of my grill outs. I never went to see a doctor & it has been over a year now since this happened & every now and then my back still bothers me.

My preference has been the Carolina variety, with vinegar-based mop sauces, especially with some cold coleslaw on top. I have a great recipe from a bar-b-q book that I use and will try to find online. It's a genuine low-n-slow cook, many hours, but completely worth the effort.

I agree with this. I tend to do my pulled pork almost like carnitas with lot of Mexican spices and the vinegar mop cuts with the spice real well. I reserve my BBQ sauce for my ribs.

Last winter (2013) I had the inlaws over for dinner. I am one of these crazy bastards that grill all year round. Well I bought some nice strip steaks. Brought them in & sure enough as only my mother-in-law could say "mine is not cooked enough can you throw it back on the grill." Well I already took my boots off & just decided to put a pair of flip flops on to run it out to the grill for another 5 minutes. As I was taking it out I slipped on a piece of ice on the deck & my back/but landed square right on one of the steps. I am in serious pain & an instant welt the size of a grapefruite froms right over my tailbone. I thought I broke my tail bone. So my father in law helps me onto the couch, I am monaing in pain, they are all at the table eating & my M-i-l looks at me & says "I could see your going to blame this whole thing on me." My wife instantly says "of course he is not mom, it was an accident." I somehow pulled myself up from the couch, looked at my wife, looked at my mother-in-law & in agony said "your god dam right I am going to blame you, would it kill you to eat a rare piece of meat!!!!" That was over a year ago & the in-laws have not been over since for one of my grill outs. I never went to see a doctor & it has been over a year now since this happened & every now and then my back still bothers me.

:w00t:

You didn't by chance get this on video did you. I'd pay top dollar to watch this. Not the fall but the looks on your wife's and mother-in-law's faces when you blamed her.

I agree with this. I tend to do my pulled pork almost like carnitas with lot of Mexican spices and the vinegar mop cuts with the spice real well. I reserve my BBQ sauce for my ribs.

:w00t:

You didn't by chance get this on video did you. I'd pay top dollar to watch this. Not the fall but the looks on your wife's and mother-in-law's faces when you blamed her.

Haha, yeah it was quite a scene. I was in some serious pain for about 2 weeks. I didn't want to go to the doctor because I have really lousy health insurance thru my work now. The only good thing that came out of it is my mother-in-law knew to keep her distance from me for awhile because she knew I was hot about the whole thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Just get a nice Weber. Easy to clean. We went with the Genesis from a few years ago and never been happier! Has the extra sear burner... Not the super huge one, the 700 dollar one.

Ordered it out of Appliance Connection (I think out of New Jersey)... Shipped freight, not a problem. Oh, Chris Christie probably loves that Illinois was getting stuck without the sales tax on a big ticket internet purchase. Wait... Of course I filled out the 6.25% Will County sales tax for the purchase on the use tax form @ tax time! ;-) ;-)

Bought a Weber today. Couldn't get up the guts to do the genesis, but settled for a spirit series one. Seems like it's just a smaller version of genesis for about 300 less. Pretty stoked to try it!!

Bought a Weber today. Couldn't get up the guts to do the genesis, but settled for a spirit series one. Seems like it's just a smaller version of genesis for about 300 less. Pretty stoked to try it!!

Cool! I used to have a Char Broil for years until I got the Weber... I am in heaven, the old one had two settings: Burnt to a crisp or raw. I am amazed what a nice gril will do. Weber does put out some beasts above the Spirt and Genesis lines, the Summit... I think those are well above a grand! No way would leave that out on the deck, I'd probably cry when it would rain!

Anyway, I did get a nice cover and I do keep it under hard storage (shed like thing) during the winter.

What I like the best... Besides the cooking. Easy to clean and it seems well built and sturdy.

That's the book that I used when I started getting more into grilling/smoking. I have made sauce from one of their recipes and it turned out pretty good. There are a lot of great recipes in that book. One of my favorite "easy" ones is for some dry rubbed, smoked burgers that have been mixed with peppers & onions. Have gotten great reviews every time I've made them!

Canned tomato sauce or chili sauce

Sauteed onions

brown sugar

Maple syrup

Cider vinegar

Cayenne

White pepper

Fresh ground black pepper

Red pepper flakes

Cumin (maybe)

Chili powder (sometimes)

Mustard powder (why not?)

Garlic powder (have to get rid of it somehow)

Tomato paste (if I have it and don't want to cook it all day)

Liquid smoke

Hey look, mines longer AND spicier.

Try adding a cup of Black Strap Molasses in your BBQ sauce. When combined with some brown sugar (and maple syrup) and the other seasonings it creates this thin layer of candied BBQ goodness on the outside skin...yum. Damn this thread is amazing...I'm on a diet but these posts are making my mouth water.

Mrags and exiled: thanks, guys!

I had a char broil for like the last 10 years that is a piece of crap. It's going to be weird grilling on something without 5 dead spots. I am most excited about the thicker grate and potential for even cooking and good grill marks.

So true... That is what I found out. I was like: "I can make sear marks without one big burn mark!" LoL I am such a snob now... @ work we all chipped in for a cheap grill (obviously not much) and they all roll their eyes @ me. I'm like to the others: "You haven't been set free yet!" LoL

Now... Supposedly, I was reading on a Weber forum (I think, it may have even been here a few years ago)... That when new, the thing will heat up better. But once smoke film starts to cover the inside of the cover, the reflective properties are diminished and the grill won't heat up as much... If you keep the inside of the hood clean (which I really should) you will get higher temps. Another thing, also I am not sure if I heard it hear or another place... If the lid is open, it isn't doing its thing... No peeking! I find with a better grill, I cover and let it do its thing while watching the time. I am more of a time griller now With the old grill I was like: "Quick, move it around before the flames char it to a toast!" LoL...

Enjoy JR!

I actually used to use a charcoal chimney, which was awesome and didn't need lighter fluid. But you still had to wait, and the clean-up and making sure the coals were out was a little bothersome.

charcoal chimney starter way to go

So true... That is what I found out. I was like: "I can make sear marks without one big burn mark!" LoL I am such a snob now... @ work we all chipped in for a cheap grill (obviously not much) and they all roll their eyes @ me. I'm like to the others: "You haven't been set free yet!" LoL

Now... Supposedly, I was reading on a Weber forum (I think, it may have even been here a few years ago)... That when new, the thing will heat up better. But once smoke film starts to cover the inside of the cover, the reflective properties are diminished and the grill won't heat up as much... If you keep the inside of the hood clean (which I really should) you will get higher temps. Another thing, also I am not sure if I heard it hear or another place... If the lid is open, it isn't doing its thing... No peeking! I find with a better grill, I cover and let it do its thing while watching the time. I am more of a time griller now With the old grill I was like: "Quick, move it around before the flames char it to a toast!" LoL...

Enjoy JR!

Thanks for the tips! I am going to have to adopt a whole new way of grilling. For char broil owners, the idea of not peeking is ludicrous!!

Enjoy JR!

That problem quickly solves itself when you put the lid back on, assuming you're cooking over coal. Choke the oxygen down a bit and your flare ups stop. Over gas, no such luck.

Try adding a cup of Black Strap Molasses in your BBQ sauce. When combined with some brown sugar (and maple syrup) and the other seasonings it creates this thin layer of candied BBQ goodness on the outside skin...yum. Damn this thread is amazing...I'm on a diet but these posts are making my mouth water.

I don't like my BBQ sauce overly sweet. I prefer to have a spicy kick and lighter on the sweet.

• 2 months later...

Not to mention, virtually all the store-bought sauce is all sugar. Learning to make my own BBQ sauce is right up there with learning how to make my own cocktail sauce.

I do put sugar in mine but I like spicy over sweet. I also use maple syrup. WNY syrup of course. :D

So found a bottle of sauce that looked interesting about a month ago, of at all places , Crate and Barrel . Thought i would give it a shot as brown sugar was like the 12th ingredient listed. So i tried the Smoky. Really really liked it, as did my family, but just a tad on the sweet side for me. So, I ordered the ENC and the Hot Smoky, and they are both just awesome! Also ordered the Carolina Dirt rub, used on ribs last week, and enjoyed it as well.

Homemade still the best, but for bottled sauces these were by far the best i have had.

BTW, i think anchoives are the secret to their sauce. I hate anchovies , but have been putting them in my salsa verde and chimmichurri sauces lately, cant taste them, but damn they make the sauce zing

http://www.lilliesq....s/#.U8VckPldWAg

Edited by plenzmd1

So found a bottle of sauce that looked interesting about a month ago, of at all places , Crate and Barrel . Thought i would give it a shot as brown sugar was like the 12th ingredient listed. So i tried the Smoky. Really really liked it, as did my family, but just a tad on the sweet side for me. So, I ordered the ENC and the Hot Smoky, and they are both just awesome! Also ordered the Carolina Dirt rub, used on ribs last week, and enjoyed it as well.

Homemade still the best, but for bottled sauces these were by far the best i have had.

BTW, i think anchoives are the secret to their sauce. I hate anchovies , but have been putting them in my salsa verde and chimmichurri sauces lately, cant taste them, but damn they make the sauce zing

http://www.lilliesq....s/#.U8VckPldWAg

That website is mouth-watering. I wonder how the Hot Mess is. Looks delicious. Thanks for sharing!