Genie Go? Any Info?

plenzmd1

Hi All,

Wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this technology. It seems like a great tool..being able to watch shows from a stream as long as it is recording, so acts like a slingbox in that manner.I do wonder if it will work in the stadium as way to get around the Sunday ticket being blacked out. Doubt the upgraded wifi will be that good, but one never knows!

But also lets you download shows from DVR directly to your own device, so you can watch shows on planes, in the car etc, when you do not have any wifi or strong enough wifi to stream, like on planes.

From what i have read, only downside to that is if a show is two hours long, will take two hours to download to device. But you can set to auto record from the playlist i guess, so that it can start that process as soon as the show starts.

Any comments appreciated

http://www.directv.c...niego?ACM=false

Edited by plenzmd1

can't help you, but good luck

I have the DTV mobile app and I can only watch the recorded movies / shows if I am in my house using my home network!! WTF is that?

of course IF you want to pay them another $50 you might be able to do so.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Looking at what it does I'd just go with a Slingbox. My Slingbox allows me to do anything I could do if I was sitting in the same room with it - watch live TV, watch anything on my DVR - I even use it from time to time to remotely go into the DVR and set something to record if I forgot to do it before I left the house. If my DVR also had on demand I would be able to do that as well. The Genie box looks like it limits what you can do - with a Slingbox you can do everything.

Looking at what it does I'd just go with a Slingbox. My Slingbox allows me to do anything I could do if I was sitting in the same room with it - watch live TV, watch anything on my DVR - I even use it from time to time to remotely go into the DVR and set something to record if I forgot to do it before I left the house. If my DVR also had on demand I would be able to do that as well. The Genie box looks like it limits what you can do - with a Slingbox you can do everything.

Two things i like about this over the Slingbox

1) Can download shows onto any device..takes away the need for wifi. I spend a lot of time on planes and trains now a days, the wifi on them just does not support streaming

2) I get this fro free from DTV :thumbsup:

Definitely agree about Slingbox. It's great, but I also have a GenieGo that allows my kids to watch content on their IPhones.

Check the DBSTalk forum for info: http://www.dbstalk.com/forum/70-directv-connected-home/

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to recall reading something about downloaded video quality being limited to SD? If true, that would kill it for me. I'm spoiled by HD.

So used for the first time today. Watched recorded then downloaded content on the plane, worked like a champ. Nice 30 second skip button to go thru the commercials :thumbsup:

Will try to watch one of the hockey games tonight by recording, then streaming. Will edit this post to report how it works.

So used for the first time today. Watched recorded then downloaded content on the plane, worked like a champ. Nice 30 second skip button to go thru the commercials :thumbsup:

Will try to watch one of the hockey games tonight by recording, then streaming. Will edit this post to report how it works.

SD or HD video quality?

SD or HD video quality?

I am prollyu not the best guy to ask, as i always rent stuff in SD on the IPAD and looks just fine to me.I used my PC for these yesterday.I watched two Community episodes and a PTI, and both looked fine on the PC. Not as good as on my TV, but was great to watch on the plane and not pay any fees.

Watching NHL tonight from hotel room on the Go..again not HD quality but decent. Would not use instead of a TV, but will be just fine.

Any port in a storm as they say

Edited by plenzmd1

I am prollyu not the best guy to ask, as i always rent stuff in SD on the IPAD and looks just fine to me.I used my PC for these yesterday.I watched two Community episodes and a PTI, and both looked fine on the PC. Not as good as on my TV, but was great to watch on the plane and not pay any fees.

Watching NHL tonight from hotel room on the Go..again not HD quality but decent. Would not use instead of a TV, but will be just fine.

Any port in a storm as they say

Yep. If you're traveling a bunch and don't want to rely upon a wifi connection, seems like a good solution.

Yep. If you're traveling a bunch and don't want to rely upon a wifi connection, seems like a good solution.

That is it exactly! Long downloads though..one must plan for these trips...as mentioned, i had two hours of content and it takes two hours to dowmload LOL