Corporate suck up question...

The Poojer

what are your thoughts of sending an email to a brand new CEO who in his first major act cut several jobs out of necessity? That just happened at my company, thankfully I survived the cuts. But the new Management team took to a makeshift stage today in our location to face some disgruntled employees and listen to their sense of entitlement attitudes. The cuts were very painful but very necessary if the company has any hope of surviving.

I have heard people that sent emails to the new CEO expressing their support in the difficult decisions and direction he and his team took...what do y'all think of that? Is it appropriate in a corporate environment or do you think the Leadership team reads and appreciates seeing that kind of thing?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peoples lives were turned upside down. A show of support is disgusting to me. I think the people emailing your CEO are trying to kiss their ass because they fear they may be next.

With new management and a recent layoffs I would think that keeping my head down would be ideal. And while I am a go getter I do not want to stick my neck out and catch flak from a shot going across the bow meant for someone else. In short, it is business and not personal, at least I'd imagine. The abilities and pay of the employee mattered more then the employee.

If you know him already or 'bump' in to him it would change everything.

Peoples lives were turned upside down. A show of support is disgusting to me. I think the people emailing your CEO are trying to kiss their ass because they fear they may be next.

So, according to the guy who works there, the cuts were "necessary " for the long term viability of the company. Maybe a deal where one cuts ten jobs to save the other 90.

Maybe, just maybe, the new CEO did what was painful to him but had to be done. Maybe, just maybe, this guy knew this RIF would not endear him to his employees, but he did what he knew was best for the company long term even though he would be seen as the arse hole. Maybe, just maybe, this decision will help see Pooj not have to relocate again.

But your right Kevin, a disgusting act that you know nothing about.

Yes Pooj, nothing wrong with sending an email welcoming him to company, acknowledging hard decisions were made, and that you are committed to the success of the company. Brief and to the point.

So, according to the guy who works there, the cuts were "necessary " for the long term viability of the company. Maybe a deal where one cuts ten jobs to save the other 90.

Maybe, just maybe, the new CEO did what was painful to him but had to be done. Maybe, just maybe, this guy knew this RIF would not endear him to his employees, but he did what he knew was best for the company long term even though he would be seen as the arse hole. Maybe, just maybe, this decision will help see Pooj not have to relocate again.

But your right Kevin, a disgusting act that you know nothing about.

Yes Pooj, nothing wrong with sending an email welcoming him to company, acknowledging hard decisions were made, and that you are committed to the success of the company. Brief and to the point.

This. Go ahead and send the email. Welcome him, and tell him you understand there were difficult choices made but you appreciate his focus and commitment on the long term health of the company.

I once sent an email to the CEO telling him what I thought all the problems were with the company. :lol: In retrospect I was pretty fuggin cocky (and wrong about some of it), but he was a CEO who respected people who weren't afraid to express their opinion so I think it helped me in the long run.

And the notion that there is something 'disgusting' about a business eliminating a certain number of jobs to protect the long-term viability of the company and/or promote it's growth is absurd. And yes, I've sat on both sides of the table during layoffs.

Wow, i am shocked at how many people have a such a different opinion on this than me. You guys must all be idiots. :nana: Me and KD the only ones on the right side here!

Just to reiterate,, in the email i would not mention the RIF in particular, just acknowledge that hard decisions have been made, and that Pooj is committed to helping the business succeed. And it has to brief, no more than two or three short sentences.

What am i missing..how in the world could that be seen as bad?

Trust me, this guy knows talent is the key to winning, and that employee engagement can be severely impacted after a RIF. Hearing from Pooj and others they are committed to the business moving forward will be encouraging for him

Wow, i am shocked at how many people have a such a different opinion on this than me. You guys must all be idiots. :nana: Me and KD the only ones on the right side here!

Just to reiterate,, in the email i would not mention the RIF in particular, just acknowledge that hard decisions have been made, and that Pooj is committed to helping the business succeed. And it has to brief, no more than two or three short sentences.

What am i missing..how in the world could that be seen as bad?

Trust me, this guy knows talent is the key to winning, and that employee engagement can be severely impacted after a RIF. Hearing from Pooj and others they are committed to the business moving forward will be encouraging for him

No.

dependent on the size of the corporation, I really doubt a CEO has any remorse on chopping heads at all. Since ownership and stockholders are who the CEO answers too. The executives own future is always based on the bottom line the almighty buck.

Now if the corporation is say 10-100 employees, or a rather small family type business I could see the cuts as possibly being hard and emotional.

Any company

With a board and publicly traded, claiming they have to make tough cuts are talking through their behind. It's mechanical. Emailing a corporate exec is usually frowned upon especially since their admin assistant usually sees them first. Unless you are on a first name basis.

I respectfully disagree, you and KD are not the only ones who have it right.

DO NOT SEND an email. As it was posted - he's not going to read 100's to 1000's of welcome aboard emails.

Trust me, CEO's look to the bottom line and all too often the more skilled worker gets let go because he/she earns more than a younger less skilled person.

No one is irreplaceable in the workforce, I repeat no one.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever