Who are your beneficiaries? Especially if you do not have kids.

boyst

With tax time here I always check over my documents and it always make me think. I know it is personal so don't feel inclined to share but I always think it is interesting how some people roll out their beneficiaries. Especially when they are unmarried and/or do not have kids.

Mine are my nieces and nephews who get 25% each. One gets a bull, one gets a steer, one gets a heifer and one gets a cow.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the wife and I pass, half goes into a trust for the nieces' and nephew's college tuition, and half goes into a trust for the cats.

Upon passing of the last cat, the trust terminates...who gets the corpus?? Or do you plan on letting the cats procreate for years to allow the trust to continue for grand-cats and great-grand cats??

We have not children. For retirement accounts and insurance wife first then trust. All other non-retirement assets the trust. Benes of the trust are some cat shelter (yeah, yeah gotta keep the wife happy) my high school, siblings and then their kids.

Upon passing of the last cat, the trust terminates...who gets the corpus?? Or do you plan on letting the cats procreate for years to allow the trust to continue for grand-cats and great-grand cats??

I'm sure he makes the cats receive a graduated stipend based on hitting litter milestones.

ASPCA.

We were going to say "Whoever takes care of the cats when we're gone gets to keep the money," but we figured anyone would just euthanize the cats in that case.

ASPCA.

We were going to say "Whoever takes care of the cats when we're gone gets to keep the money," but we figured anyone would just euthanize the cats in that case.

Depends on how much money you have but I'd take care of the cats then euthanize you. On second thought the amount of money is irrelevant.

It's a great question. My wife and I are kid-less also. Have been delaying seeing an estate planner for far too long; it's on the "to-do" list this year. Just leaving everything to each other in a will is not sufficient; I think people really need to have trusts/etc. set up.

It's a great question. My wife and I are kid-less also. Have been delaying seeing an estate planner for far too long; it's on the "to-do" list this year. Just leaving everything to each other in a will is not sufficient; I think people really need to have trusts/etc. set up.

We didn't have a trust for a long time. And as a financial planner it was kind of embarrassing. We were headed to the airport for a trip and I added up in my head all the assets that would be left if the plane went down. The life insurance and equity in our house (it was the peak of the market) alone was a lot. I thought about what our families would have to deal with if we didn't make it back. They would have been pissed. So we got the trust done the week we got back.

I have clients with a net worth probably close to $3 mill. They have four kids, three of which are minors. When we met they had no trust. I asked "if you two were killed in a car accident tonight who will take care of your kids?". She said "my 19 year old daughter?". I said "NO!!!" She then said she had an "agreement" with her sister. I again said "NO!!! We're getting your trust done!". We meet in two weeks to fund the trust and change benes. People are such lazy (and cheap) fools.

We didn't have a trust for a long time. And as a financial planner it was kind of embarrassing. We were headed to the airport for a trip and I added up in my head all the assets that would be left if the plane went down. The life insurance and equity in our house (it was the peak of the market) alone was a lot. I thought about what our families would have to deal with if we didn't make it back. They would have been pissed. So we got the trust done the week we got back.

I have clients with a net worth probably close to $3 mill. They have four kids, three of which are minors. When we met they had no trust. I asked "if you two were killed in a car accident tonight who will take care of your kids?". She said "my 19 year old daughter?". I said "NO!!!" She then said she had an "agreement" with her sister. I again said "NO!!! We're getting your trust done!". We meet in two weeks to fund the trust and change benes. People are such lazy (and cheap) fools.

Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it. B Franklin

Depends on how much money you have but I'd take care of the cats then euthanize you. On second thought the amount of money is irrelevant.

If my wife and I both go, after all bills are paid there's a healthy seven figures left over.

Those cats would be worth a ****-ton of money.

If my wife and I both go, after all bills are paid there's a healthy seven figures left over.

Those cats would be worth a ****-ton of money.

People don't normally consider the two digits after the decimal point, Tom...

If my wife and I both go, after all bills are paid there's a healthy seven figures left over. . . .

My younger brother Darryl noticed this:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Rise-Planet-Apes-Sequel-Lands-Andy-Serkis-Seven-Figure-Deal-27704.html

Serkis . . . strapped on the spandex and sensors again for Rise to portray Caesar, a chimp who is accidentally dosed with an experimental Alzheimer's drug and becomes super-intelligent as a result.

Serkis has just signed a "healthy seven-figure deal" to play Caesar again.

Spandex? Alzheimer's? Considers himself super-intelligent? Healthy seven figures?

This could explain a lot.

Who knew Caesar had cats?