The Whaley Marrone relationship

If we finish below .500 for the next two years, he won't make it to 4. There's no way we keep another failure of a coach around for 5 years.

With everything being normal, I agree with you. But with the unknown ownership situation looming above, I don't see anyone getting let go in the coaching staff or FO until a new owner buys the team.

Ask in 4 more years because that's how long Marone needs

That's what Marrone needs for what? When you tell us that ... tell us why he needs four years, please. And then explain how you know.

That's what Marrone needs for what? When you tell us that ... tell us why he needs four years, please. And then explain how you know.

I have always felt Coaches need 5 years period. a HC can't control the team they are handed from a personnel stand point. What Cleveland did was pure stupidity and showing why they are now the worst franchise in the NFL firing their HC after one year. Give Marone some time, lets see how he does

I have always felt Coaches need 5 years period. a HC can't control the team they are handed from a personnel stand point. What Cleveland did was pure stupidity and showing why they are now the worst franchise in the NFL firing their HC after one year. Give Marone some time, lets see how he does

Maybe back in the day but now it's 3 and out max if there isn't a winning season and playoffs (or near miss) in that time.

New ownership = New President = New GM = New Coach = New Defense Coordinator and back to the 3-4. Progress is halted as they look for their kind of players.

It will be a real shame if Whaley doesn't get time to build the team he envisions. I truly believe he's the one that will lead us back to the playoffs and end this drought. He's smart and seems confident and tends to be a step ahead of our past GMs.

If the talk of a relatively quick sale and transfer of ownship approval by the League is true than this could very well be Marrone's make it or get fired year... Same holds true for Whaley...

Disagree. A quick sale would imply that an ownership group was already pre-selected, and known about by Bills management before Ralph passed.

If that is the case, it's likely that group had a hand in promoting Russ Brandon to acting president last New Years Eve. It would have been quite simple for a "potential" owner at that time to hand select who they wanted in charge of football operations, which would facilitate an even easier transition in ownership. Russ's ties to the area, experience in marketing deals and regionalization of the brand, and familiarity with the organization from top to bottom, including from past to present, makes him a valuable asset to have in place for anyone taking over control of the team.

With that being said though, when we get a new owner, it would be incredibly invigorating if they walked in the door and fired every single person in the organization, and started from absolute scratch.

As multiple teams have shown, it only takes a year or two to take a team from a losing record to the playoffs. I don't see why Whaley or Marrone should be granted longer.

First step is finding a QB. Second step is putting together a decent defense.

We, theoretically, have a decent defense. But that depends on if Pettine made the defense, or the players did.

EJ is a complete unknown.

With everything being normal, I agree with you. But with the unknown ownership situation looming above, I don't see anyone getting let go in the coaching staff or FO until a new owner buys the team.

If the talk of a relatively quick sale and transfer of ownship approval by the League is true than this could very well be Marrone's make it or get fired year... Same holds true for Whaley...

I agree. ...with both of you.

I think Marrone and Whaley et al. are here til we get a new owner regardless of the record, even if that takes 5yrs. However, if a quick sale goes down, this could very well be their last season ...especially if they don't turn the team around. IMO, the only way a new owner doesn't put his stamp on the team immediately by replacing the FO is if they're winning. and even then its still likely to happen.

You guys are stronger then I am. I can't even think of what it would be like to have a new president and coach. A new owner as part of all of that - I cannot think about it.

I think this unit is strong, though. It reminds me of some of the better HC/Pres/GM/FO in the league.

No, it's not. You really have no clue.

It is and I do, but I am not going to argue with you on this issue

Disagree. A quick sale would imply that an ownership group was already pre-selected, and known about by Bills management before Ralph passed.

If that is the case, it's likely that group had a hand in promoting Russ Brandon to acting president last New Years Eve. It would have been quite simple for a "potential" owner at that time to hand select who they wanted in charge of football operations, which would facilitate an even easier transition in ownership. Russ's ties to the area, experience in marketing deals and regionalization of the brand, and familiarity with the organization from top to bottom, including from past to present, makes him a valuable asset to have in place for anyone taking over control of the team.

With that being said though, when we get a new owner, it would be incredibly invigorating if they walked in the door and fired every single person in the organization, and started from absolute scratch.

I thought the exact same thing when he was appointed to take over everything last year. A new owner would be a fool to drop Brandon, no one knows the market better

You would have given Jauron and Gailey two more years?

This makes no sense.

You would have given Jauron and Gailey two more years?

This makes no sense.

i would have given jauron 5 years if whaley was the gm.

i would have given gailey 5 years with a qb that wasn't fitz.... and if whaley was the gm.

what you're seeing with russ as president and whaley as gm is finally an organization with a plan... a vision.

it feels like a cohesive unit, and next season is going to be interesting.

take a look at the opponents (outside of the division):

chiefs, chargers, packers, vikings, browns (home)

broncos, raiders, bears, lions, texans (away)

granted, it's still far, far too early to tell, but we should be favored, or within 2.5 points on the spread, for all but the packers game at home, and the broncos game on the road (possibly the bears on the road and chiefs at home, possibly.)

that's 8 games outside of divisional play that we should have a vegas line inside 3, or be favored. I can't recall the Bills having a road to the playoffs that favorable in a long time. Combined with Russ advocating to the league last year on the Bills behalf for some equality in scheduling--ie, no more pats games with them coming off a bye--and it seems like we should have a dececnt shot at the playoffs, with just a split in the division.