Jacobs Family front runners?

The thought that Pegula or Jacobs wouldn't have an interest in the Bills because they have an interest in their other teams is ridiculous.

First of all, let's look at the point of them purchasing the Bills just to ensure their investments in the city of Buffalo. Pegula is cementing his legend in Buffalo with everything he's doing downtown. It's not just the Sabres. It's the city of Buffalo that he's investing in. Purchasing the Bills and keeping them in Buffalp not only makes him look like more of a saint than he actually is. It also ensures the stability of the area.

Jacobs just moved Delaware Norths offices back here and that makes him interested in ensuring the Bills in Buffalo. The Beiluins are a drop in the bucket to him. He can keep the team in his family and still own the Bills of he'd like. And if he couldn't, he could easily just sell them as quickly as he would like. I'm sure there's many billionaires in Boston that would love to take the Bruins off his hands of they had a chance.

The thoughts that any of the players in the running to buy the team would be concerned with money is laughable. Money has nothing to do with buying a football team anymore. It's a status symbol. These people have so much money, they could never spend it all in their or their kids lifetimes. They aren't getting into buying the team for money. They are buying the team to be in "the club". There's only 32 NFL owners out there and you can bet that if someone's for the money and is a fan, they are interested. When you've got $2-3billion, you simply look at that as a chance to play owner.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thought that Pegula or Jacobs wouldn't have an interest in the Bills because they have an interest in their other teams is ridiculous.

First of all, let's look at the point of them purchasing the Bills just to ensure their investments in the city of Buffalo. Pegula is cementing his legend in Buffalo with everything he's doing downtown. It's not just the Sabres. It's the city of Buffalo that he's investing in. Purchasing the Bills and keeping them in Buffalp not only makes him look like more of a saint than he actually is. It also ensures the stability of the area.

Jacobs just moved Delaware Norths offices back here and that makes him interested in ensuring the Bills in Buffalo. The Beiluins are a drop in the bucket to him. He can keep the team in his family and still own the Bills of he'd like. And if he couldn't, he could easily just sell them as quickly as he would like. I'm sure there's many billionaires in Boston that would love to take the Bruins off his hands of they had a chance.

The thoughts that any of the players in the running to buy the team would be concerned with money is laughable. Money has nothing to do with buying a football team anymore. It's a status symbol. These people have so much money, they could never spend it all in their or their kids lifetimes. They aren't getting into buying the team for money. They are buying the team to be in "the club". There's only 32 NFL owners out there and you can bet that if someone's for the money and is a fan, they are interested. When you've got $2-3billion, you simply look at that as a chance to play owner.

No way the 2nd most powerful owner in the NHL quits it.

I can see him being interested in the Bills.

he doesn't need to quit it. He can simply work around it by passing it off to family.

And as powerful as he is in the nhl. It means nothing compared to owning an NFL team. He's a fan of sports in general. He's done it all in Boston.aune he just wants to try something different. Or maybe he just wants to ensure the team stays in his hometown. Who knows.

he doesn't need to quit it. He can simply work around it by passing it off to family.

And as powerful as he is in the nhl. It means nothing compared to owning an NFL team. He's a fan of sports in general. He's done it all in Boston.aune he just wants to try something different. Or maybe he just wants to ensure the team stays in his hometown. Who knows.

I am well aware that he can keep the Bruins w/in his family and make a play for the Bills. My contention was with your (and other posters) stating &/or implying he'll sell the B's to outside interests. I don't see anyway that happens.

He's the 2nd most powerful owner in a league bringing in ~$3.5B/yr. It's only 1/3-1/4 of what the NFL does, but it isn't chump change and being 2 is better than being 32 which is where the new Bills' owner sits (will sit).

I am well aware that he can keep the Bruins w/in his family and make a play for the Bills. My contention was with your (and other posters) stating &/or implying he'll sell the B's to outside interests. I don't see anyway that happens.

He's the 2nd most powerful owner in a league bringing in ~$3.5B/yr. It's only 1/3-1/4 of what the NFL does, but it isn't chump change and being 2 is better than being 32 which is where the new Bills' owner sits (will sit).

being number 32 is better in the NFL than 1 in the NHL any day of the week and twice on Sundays (pun intended).

I'm not implying he would sell the team. I'm imyong that if he really did have an interest on the Bills he wouldn't think about his Bruins being a roadblock. If he wanted an NFL team, he would sell them in a heartbeat of he had to so that he could purchase an NFL franchise.

So how does Paul Allen own both the Seahawks and the Portland trail blazers?

B/C there isn't an NFL team in his NBA market. For example Benson owns the Saints & Pelicans but could not own the Saints and Heat. The teams need to be in the same market or in market that doesn't have a team in the league.

B/C there isn't an NFL team in his NBA market. For example Benson owns the Saints & Pelicans but could not own the Saints and Heat. The teams need to be in the same market or in market that doesn't have a team in the league.

Is there any reasoning to this thing?

Is there any reasoning to this thing?

I am not sure but my guess is loyalty to a region. You can own multiple teams as long as they are in the same market or that market doesn't have a team in the other league. Stan Kroenke is the one that has gotten around this by moving a team into his son's name.

He seemed pretty proud of his team when he brought the Stanley Cup to Buffalo a couple of years ago. I got a picture with it. I think if he wanted to sell and take a run at the Bills then he would have done so then when the Bruins were worth the most. It "could" happen, which is what this article is about, but it's just not a likely scenario

The bills werent for sale then...

I am not sure but my guess is loyalty to a region. You can own multiple teams as long as they are in the same market or that market doesn't have a team in the other league. Stan Kroenke is the one that has gotten around this by moving a team into his son's name.

It just seems like they put in these quirky obstacles that a determined owner can get around, like Kroenke.

being number 32 is better in the NFL than 1 in the NHL any day of the week and twice on Sundays (pun intended).

I'm not implying he would sell the team. I'm imyong that if he really did have an interest on the Bills he wouldn't think about his Bruins being a roadblock. If he wanted an NFL team, he would sell them in a heartbeat of he had to so that he could purchase an NFL franchise.

We shall see soon enough. I don't see the Bruins realistically leaving his control.

The bills werent for sale then...

Anyone truly interested in the Bills would have been planning to buy them for years. Ralph was 95. A name that hasn't been discussed much is Jeffrey Gundlach. He was quoted as putting a team together to buy the Bills back in 2011. As a big Bills fan growing up, he seems more likely to make this happen than someone like Jacobs who is already invested elsewhere

So then lets start a rumor; "Pats moving to LA" Problem solved!

The Bruins, coming off a title and another Finals appearance, are valued at $600 million. http://www.forbes.com/teams/boston-bruins/ The Sabres are valued at $250 million. http://www.forbes.com/teams/buffalo-sabres/

The Bills, who have missed the playoffs 14 years in a row and only had 1 winning season in that time, are valued at $870 million. http://www.forbes.com/teams/buffalo-bills/ Jacobs could be a savior in his hometown. The Bruins fans weren't very good to the Jacobs family for a while, but now he can leave on very good terms. If it's between a NHL team or NFL, IMO, it's not even close.

In the Daniel Kaplan interview on WGR, Kaplan mentions that he interviewed Ralph in 2005. My friend Google turned up this 2005 article written by Kaplan:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2005/05/20050516/Other-News/In-Profile-Bills-Owner-Ralph-Wilson.aspx

In Buffalo, the question on most football fans' minds is whether the Bills will stay. No matter the outcome of the NFL revenue issue, Wilson said he is committed to keeping the team in Buffalo during his lifetime. His family is not interested in owning the team when, as Wilson quips, he heads upstairs, so he cannot say what fate holds for the Bills at that point.

Wilson asked his lawyer if his estate could require a buyer to keep the team in Buffalo but was informed that would be illegal. So he is left hoping that a future acquirer will be as committed as he to the region.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead