Trade up with Jacksonville

What is with all of this "trade Spiller" talk :doh: ??? WGR spent a significant amount of time discussing moving CJ Spiller & now this thread. It really boggles my mind. Some clowns on the radio were talking about signing Chris Johnson and getting rid of Spiller :wallbash:

He is their most talented & dynamic player on offense; it's not even close. Players like Spiller are very difficult to come by which is why the Bills spent a top 10 pick on him. He has the ability to take over a game & is a threat to score a TD EVERY single time the ball touches his hands.

If you are considering moving Spiller because he "doesn't fit your offense" then I don't want you as OC. You give a player like Spiller his own chapter in the playbook.

Hey...I dont disagree with any of that. And Schopp and BD were saying the exact same thing we all thought when hearing this "interest in Chris Johnson" rumor. Are they looking to trade Spiller? The only thing that makes sense to me is to use him to trade up. Yes. .its a deep draft. But you just (hypothetically) moved up 6 spots and increased your chances of landing elite talent and you didnt give up any picks to do so. Shoot...maybe you could also get the Jags 4th RD pick in a deal.

But the reality is elite running backs (is he?) do not win you Super Bowls or are least not a requirement. Quick----name the 2 Giants RBs in their SB wins. The Steelers in 2010? The Packers?

I think Seattle is an anomaly bc that D was so ridiculously good. And Russell Wilson btw is pretty f...ing good.

Now more importantly, is Spiller getting a contract after this season? The tea leaves are saying this FO may not be leaning that way.

Maybe they like the idea of securing a WR core of Watkins---Woods---Stevie--Mike Williams---Goodwin.

Maybe they want Mack. IDK.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct.

Im still looking for the "franchise changing" QB in this draft. Not saying there isnt one. Im just not sure who the hell that is.

This draft doesn't have a franchise QB. and that trade is just plain stupid. Trade down and get extra picks. The draft is so deep, you find good players who can help into the 4th round!

I think the fastest way to improve this team is address the OL first. It may not have the glitz and glamour like other picks but give EJ a few more seconds or give Spilled some daylight and watch out.

Edited by BLEDSOE1QB

I understand that this coaching staff didn't draft Spiller but that shouldn't make a lick of difference. He is their most talented and dynamic offensive weapon:

207 carries / 1244 yards / 6.0 ypc / 6 TD

43 receptions / 459 yards / 10.7 ypr / 2 TD

Those numbers speak for themselves. Averaging 6 yards per carry is pretty amazing on 50 carries.. Spiller did it on over 200 carries. On top of that, he averaged over 10 yards per reception. That is an elite offensive playmaker.

He also wasn't a total bust last season like some posters are portraying him to be. He struggled through injury last season & only managed to start 10 games. There was a revolving door at QB with some of the worst QB play in the NFL allowing defenses to load up the box & focus on shutting down Spiller and FJax:

202 carries / 946 yards / 4.6 ypc / 2 TD

Some people are acting like he did nothing & averaged 2.0 ypc.

I don't understand how a player that talented "doesn't fit your offense"... take your playbook and throw it in the garbage if you can't fit a player like that into your gameplan. Nothing gets me more aggravated then a coach who force feeds their system onto their players. The hallmark of a great coach is adapting their scheme to their player's strengths.

He certainly isn't a 320 carry back but that is why you have FJax. I don't know where you're getting "he isn't anything special in the clutch". The Bills weren't in too many spots to settle that.

If Chan Gailey can do it, there is no reason Hackett can't.

first of all. I'm not saying the guy is a bum. He is a very good football player when he can be. That means wen he's not injured, and when he's not letting his head get in the way. Im a HUGE fan of Spiller. But to say that a 1,000 yard season is something special, it's less special than a 1,000 yards season out of a WR. 62.5 yards a game. That's how hrs averaged out. So you to tell me that at the end of a game, your RB rushed for 63 yards and zero TDs you'd be happy? Let's out that Into fantasy thoughts, that guy wouldn't get drafted until round 8 and he would be your 3rd RB for your bye weeks.

That doesn't mean I don't think he has great potential. He does. But your also comparing 2 different coaching staffs and completely different offensive playstyles. I know as a coach you have to get your playmakers the ball. But this coaching staff might not think he's as good as you or Chan Gailey does. Hell, it even took Gailey 3 years to get anything productive out of Spiller. Not to mention, 1 decent season out of 4 is hardly elite. And regarding your coaching staff finding ways to get him involved is easier said than done. First of all, they tried and Spiller didn't respond. Second, they run completely different types of offenses than the coaching staff before them.

All in all, I agree that he's a playmaker when given the right opportunities, and really believe that if used correctly he could be the next Priest Holmes when he was really hot. But for that to happen, you've got to have a lot of things fall into place. Coaching scheme, offensive line, QB. It's too much to expect. So instead they used him for their system and he was barely average. Because there's no other way to describe a 900 yard back with 2 TDs.

Just for ***** & giggles I decided to put the 2014 draft order next to Spiller. These are the teams IMO where he would garner the most interest based on his style and theirs. I'm not saying that there wouldn't be interest elsewhere, nor am I saying that he should be traded; I'm saying that he'd have the biggest impact on these teams.

Atlanta

AZ

KC

NO

Denver

I understand that this coaching staff didn't draft Spiller but that shouldn't make a lick of difference. He is their most talented and dynamic offensive weapon:

207 carries / 1244 yards / 6.0 ypc / 6 TD

43 receptions / 459 yards / 10.7 ypr / 2 TD

Those numbers speak for themselves. Averaging 6 yards per carry is pretty amazing on 50 carries.. Spiller did it on over 200 carries. On top of that, he averaged over 10 yards per reception. That is an elite offensive playmaker.

He also wasn't a total bust last season like some posters are portraying him to be. He struggled through injury last season & only managed to start 10 games. There was a revolving door at QB with some of the worst QB play in the NFL allowing defenses to load up the box & focus on shutting down Spiller and FJax:

202 carries / 946 yards / 4.6 ypc / 2 TD

Some people are acting like he did nothing & averaged 2.0 ypc.

I don't understand how a player that talented "doesn't fit your offense"... take your playbook and throw it in the garbage if you can't fit a player like that into your gameplan. Nothing gets me more aggravated then a coach who force feeds their system onto their players. The hallmark of a great coach is adapting their scheme to their player's strengths.

He certainly isn't a 320 carry back but that is why you have FJax. I don't know where you're getting "he isn't anything special in the clutch". The Bills weren't in too many spots to settle that.

If Chan Gailey can do it, there is no reason Hackett can't.

Chan Gailey and Hackett run different offenses and before you bash Hackett take a look at Seattle and San Fran. The two best teams in the league last year. Both top five in rushing. Both bottom third in passing(san fran 30th, seattle 26th). The Bills are building a similar team. They need a work horse back who can carry the rock 25 times a game. Id give strong consideration to Carlos Hyde if he is there in the second round. Trade Spiller for a 2nd or a 3rd. You probably wont get a first.

I am amazed that we have had a 6-10 team for this long and every time I come here there is a new thread about getting rid of our best players. The people that think the Bills come here for info or ideas couldn't be more wrong, if they come here it is simply to laugh their asses off.

I am amazed that we have had a 6-10 team for this long and every time I come here there is a new thread about getting rid of our best players. The people that think the Bills come here for info or ideas couldn't be more wrong, if they come here it is simply to laugh their asses off.

Perhaps you should try a different thread?

first of all. I'm not saying the guy is a bum. He is a very good football player when he can be. That means wen he's not injured, and when he's not letting his head get in the way. Im a HUGE fan of Spiller. But to say that a 1,000 yard season is something special, it's less special than a 1,000 yards season out of a WR. 62.5 yards a game. That's how hrs averaged out. So you to tell me that at the end of a game, your RB rushed for 63 yards and zero TDs you'd be happy? Let's out that Into fantasy thoughts, that guy wouldn't get drafted until round 8 and he would be your 3rd RB for your bye weeks.

That doesn't mean I don't think he has great potential. He does. But your also comparing 2 different coaching staffs and completely different offensive playstyles. I know as a coach you have to get your playmakers the ball. But this coaching staff might not think he's as good as you or Chan Gailey does. Hell, it even took Gailey 3 years to get anything productive out of Spiller. Not to mention, 1 decent season out of 4 is hardly elite. And regarding your coaching staff finding ways to get him involved is easier said than done. First of all, they tried and Spiller didn't respond. Second, they run completely different types of offenses than the coaching staff before them.

All in all, I agree that he's a playmaker when given the right opportunities, and really believe that if used correctly he could be the next Priest Holmes when he was really hot. But for that to happen, you've got to have a lot of things fall into place. Coaching scheme, offensive line, QB. It's too much to expect. So instead they used him for their system and he was barely average. Because there's no other way to describe a 900 yard back with 2 TDs.

I'm not saying his season was anything special this year... it was rather disappointing. 1000 yards isn't anything to brag about in today's NFL.

You know what is? Averaging 6.0 yards per carry on over 200 attempts.

I don't think all of the stars need to align for Spiller to have a good season. His health doesn't worry me; he'll be back to 100%. The offensive line was clearly broken after losing Levitre; they went out and got Chris Williams to take over at LG & I am almost 100% certain they will take a RT in the 1st or 2nd round to really improve the line. The QB factor also shouldn't be an issue. You don't need Manning or Brees back there; we just need Manuel to stay healthy & play consistent. He just needs to be able to hit some passes down the field & keep the defense guessing. Last year's offense was so one-dimensional and predictable that nobody stood a chance of having a good year. Spiller doesn't need his QB to be a 400 yard stud to be successful; hell, he tore it up with Fitz as his QB.

Chan Gailey and Hackett run different offenses and before you bash Hackett take a look at Seattle and San Fran. The two best teams in the league last year. Both top five in rushing. Both bottom third in passing(san fran 30th, seattle 26th). The Bills are building a similar team. They need a work horse back who can carry the rock 25 times a game. Id give strong consideration to Carlos Hyde if he is there in the second round. Trade Spiller for a 2nd or a 3rd. You probably wont get a first.

This boggles my mind. You talk about SF and SEA being in the top 5 in rushing and advocate following their model yet you want to trade away our best RB??? Spiller is way more valuable to this team then even a 2nd round pick. Then you go on to say you want use that 2nd round pick on a RB... That is crazy to me. The draft is a total crapshoot. Spiller has proven he can be a stud RB; 6.0 ypc on over 200 rushes is spectacular. Hyde hasn't done a thing in the NFL and might turn out to be James Hardy.

Why do they need a "workhorse" RB when they have have Spiller/FJax/Dixon? Spiller's sweet spot is in the 10-15 rushes a game with another 4-5 receptions. Then you have FJax to take the other 10-15 rushes & Dixon as your short yardage bruiser.

Pass rushing DE is the only other option.

Up until last year, I would totally agree with this. But, rushing the QB certainly was a strength and not a problem last year. I really think with the moves we've made, we are in a position to go BPA at this point..............And, I even have to agree with not going after a QB. Get everything else in place, and if EJ isn't the man after this year, then move up, do anything you have to to draft a top QB next year.

Up until last year, I would totally agree with this. But, rushing the QB certainly was a strength and not a problem last year. I really think with the moves we've made, we are in a position to go BPA at this point..............And, I even have to agree with not going after a QB. Get everything else in place, and if EJ isn't the man after this year, then move up, do anything you have to to draft a top QB next year.

My point was that if the Bills want a pass rushing DE in the first round they will have to move up to get him. There is no one I'm aware of who fits that need at 9.

Also, look for this year's defense to be much different that last years. Much more will be expected from the d-line. We do need someone to line up opposite Mario.

My point was that if the Bills want a pass rushing DE in the first round they will have to move up to get him. There is no one I'm aware of who fits that need at 9.

What about Aaron Donald? Every bit as productive as Mack and played against a higher level of competition. I have a feeling this is who the Bills are targeting.

I'm not saying his season was anything special this year... it was rather disappointing. 1000 yards isn't anything to brag about in today's NFL.

You know what is? Averaging 6.0 yards per carry on over 200 attempts.

I don't think all of the stars need to align for Spiller to have a good season. His health doesn't worry me; he'll be back to 100%. The offensive line was clearly broken after losing Levitre; they went out and got Chris Williams to take over at LG & I am almost 100% certain they will take a RT in the 1st or 2nd round to really improve the line. The QB factor also shouldn't be an issue. You don't need Manning or Brees back there; we just need Manuel to stay healthy & play consistent. He just needs to be able to hit some passes down the field & keep the defense guessing. Last year's offense was so one-dimensional and predictable that nobody stood a chance of having a good year. Spiller doesn't need his QB to be a 400 yard stud to be successful; hell, he tore it up with Fitz as his QB.

Did everyone forget even with injuries we had the #2 running offense in the NFL? I just can't understand some fans. Our PROBLEM IS THE PASS! We were 28th. We also sucked against the run to be captain obvious. Fix the run defense and fix the pass and we start Winning.

All of this trade Spiller, trade SJ, ughh. Why trade some f your best players. I get the anger with Graham, etc. but is everyone just bored in the off season to make these comments?

This boggles my mind. You talk about SF and SEA being in the top 5 in rushing and advocate following their model yet you want to trade away our best RB??? Spiller is way more valuable to this team then even a 2nd round pick. Then you go on to say you want use that 2nd round pick on a RB... That is crazy to me. The draft is a total crapshoot. Spiller has proven he can be a stud RB; 6.0 ypc on over 200 rushes is spectacular. Hyde hasn't done a thing in the NFL and might turn out to be James Hardy.

Why do they need a "workhorse" RB when they have have Spiller/FJax/Dixon? Spiller's sweet spot is in the 10-15 rushes a game with another 4-5 receptions. Then you have FJax to take the other 10-15 rushes & Dixon as your short yardage bruiser.

What about Aaron Donald? Every bit as productive as Mack and played against a higher level of competition. I have a feeling this is who the Bills are targeting.

I have a sneaking suspicion that they like Donald as well. The guy is so versatile. While his best position is likely 3 technique DT, I'm pretty sure he is fast and strong enough to play outside as well.

Obviously, selecting Donald would be most ideal in a trade back scenario.

I am regretting I opened this so late but the idea that Spiller being traded and swapping picks to move up just a few points in the 1st? Insane.

Maybe Spiller and a 4th to move up.

Why? Because Spiller is dirt cheap in 2014 and 2015. Even if he only plucks down 600 yards in each season he is still a huge value.