Draft prospect bowl games

JP-era

I love Alphonzo Hodge at cornerback.  Actually, while he has plenty of speed for a corner, he has ample size for safety.  You could plug him in at either and he would succeed.

215182[/snapback]

At corner Im a Pac Man Jones fan, I like the size/speed combo.

At corner Im a Pac Man Jones fan, I like the size/speed combo.

215190[/snapback]

Pac Man is gone by the 15th overall pick for sure, that kid is probably (next to Rolle) the best CB in the Draft.

Now everyone knows I still want to see the Bills draft Nugent with their 2nd rounder, but say we get another 2nd rounder from whatever team we trade Henry to...well in that case, I'd love to see the Bills go after an OT since you can never have too much Offensive Line depth. Two guys who I really like are Adam Terry from Syracuse and Chris Colmer from North Carolina State.

Terry is an Upstate New York type of guy...was born, raised and played college football here and I'd love to see him suit up for the Bills. As for Colmer, you might remember him since he sat out the 2003 with Parsonage-Turner snydrome which weakened his arm. Its an uber-rare disease but he was cleared to play and apparently has beaten it. Colmer has top 10 talent but will slip into the 2nd round (unless he has a monster combine) because of his disease. I would totally take a shot at him though if we have two 2nd rounders just because his talent level would be leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of the 2nd round options.

Colmer will probably be a UDFA. Terry, on the other hand, would be a great pick in RD#2 if we get 2 second round picks. Terry is rated by Bernie's Insiders as the 5th best OT in the draft, and would be a steal by the time we picked.

So I watched the East West Shrine and the North South. I was VERY impressed with a few players.

I will rank them from most impressive on down:

1) Jerome Mathis-WR-Hampton-6' 0" 180- runs a 4.4. This guy was stellar. Big, fast, catches everything thrown his way, gets lots of YAC, and is quick enough to break all kinds of tackles. Heres the comments:

For the North, Hampton receiver Jerome Mathis scored on a 26-yard reception and a 38-yard run off a reverse. Mathis had 108 yards of total offense — 59 yards receiving on two catches, and 49 yards rushing on two carries.

“Every time I step on the big stage, I get even better,” said Mathis, one of just 10 players who didn’t come from Division I-A programs.

Id love to spend a 3rd rounder on him (thats an assumption on where he is after shooting up from nowhere). We have other players we want early but Id love for us to get a true 3rd WR since Josh is stinking up the joint.

2) Chauncey Stovall-WR-Florida State-6' 2" 210- runs ?- I had this guy listed as a sleeper about mid season. He reminds me of Moulds so much (at least when Moulds was coming out). Big, strong, makes all the catches, battles for the ball. He has been in the shadow of CRaphonso Thorpe because Thorpe has sprinters speed. I still believe that Stovall was the best WR on that team!!! Hes another guy who goes late day 1 and instantly is an upgrade to Reed. Had a highlight film reverse, reverse, reverse then run for the TD.

3) Calvin Armstrong-OT-Washington State-6' 7" 322- Looks thinner than 322 but still well built. Absolutley dominated the DE's. He has this technique where he gets into the pass block, holds the block, and as the DE is just ready to turn the corner on him, he tosses them to the ground. He must have had about 12 pancakes (not really a pancake because he was standing over the DE looking down at them after he tossed them like a rag doll). I loved watching the kid. He so light on his feet adn obviously has the strength to get the job done at LT. Id love for us to land him. Again, this is a sleeper player who is ranked as the 14th best OT by some draft rags. A great find inthe 4th or later.

4) Rian Melander-OT-Minnesota-6' 7" 295- Looks more like 340. He is absolutely HUGE, not fat, HUGE. Yet he has nimble feet, locks on and isolates his guys. He is a stud in the making. Again a quality pick in the 4th or later, I can see him as a LT.

5) Stefan Lefors-QB-Louisville- 6' 0" 201- The question on him was arm strength but he wowed the stands with some very accurate long throws, one to JR Russell for a TD. I was impressed overall, he has some escapability but is by no means Vick or Losman, just that he isnt a statue. I liked his humble attitude. Could be a good guy to add as our #3 QB and develop. Problem is, he helped his cause enough to go above the 5th probably. We have more pressing needs but you never know.

Thats it so far. I love the drafts where we get sleepers, personally. Although we have been nailed by many of these picks- Jamie Nails, Erik Flowers, Sammy Morris. But onthe flip side we have had some steals too- Terrence McGee, McGahee, Shaud Williams

Anyways my dream draft, at this point, would go like this:

2 (1) (henry pick) - CJ Brooks OG Maryland

2 (2)- Mike Nugent K Ohio State

3 - Jerome Mathis WR Hampton

4 (1)- Calvin Armstrong OT Washington State

4 (2) (winfield compensatory) - Chauncey Stovall WR Florida State

5- JJ Arrington RB Cal

6- Diamond Ferri S Syracuse

7- Stefan Lefors QB Louisville

Im taking 2 WR's an no TE because I think we get a stud TE in FA, and I also feel that our current WR's past Moulds and Evans need to be upgraded. Id like to see us keep Reed but I believe BOTH these draftees (Mathis and Stovall) could beat out any of the rest of them Aiken, or Smith. So Id like it to be 1) Evans 2) Moulds 3) Mathis or Stovall 4) Reed 5) Aiken or Smith (probably Smith because of ST).

Thoughts?

215036[/snapback]

I'd LOVE to see the Bills Draft Nugent...I know taking a PK so high is not popular, but that Kid can Kick!

If I were TD and TM, I would take another QB in this Draft...I'm not saying take one on the 1st Day necessarily, but somewhere in Rounds 2-5, I'd take another QB...The art of developing QB's and turning them into Trade bait down the Road has escaped the Bills for years...

Also, I still think there is a possiblity the Bills Franchise Jonas Jennings with the intent of Trading him for a #1 Pick...If you look at the UFA crop at OT (aside from Jones, Thomas, and Pace who will likely never be available) Jennings really stands out in the pack...I know there is always talk about Dallas and those two 1st Round Picks...The Cowboys are in desperate Need of OT help and they have a TON of Cap money available in 2005...If the big 3 OT's never hit Free Agency, the Boys may be inclined to Trade that Pick back to the Bills for Jennings...Tampa has a ton of Picks too and a big Need at OT...If the Bills can't afford to Re-Sign Jonas, getting something back for him is essential considering he's a 3rd Rd. Pick who developed into a Starting LT...I guess we'll see... :rolleyes:

So I watched the East West Shrine and the North South. I was VERY impressed with a few players.

I will rank them from most impressive on down:

1) Jerome Mathis-WR-Hampton-6' 0" 180- runs a 4.4. This guy was stellar. Big, fast, catches everything thrown his way, gets lots of YAC, and is quick enough to break all kinds of tackles. Heres the comments:

For the North, Hampton receiver Jerome Mathis scored on a 26-yard reception and a 38-yard run off a reverse. Mathis had 108 yards of total offense — 59 yards receiving on two catches, and 49 yards rushing on two carries.

“Every time I step on the big stage, I get even better,” said Mathis, one of just 10 players who didn’t come from Division I-A programs.

Id love to spend a 3rd rounder on him (thats an assumption on where he is after shooting up from nowhere). We have other players we want early but Id love for us to get a true 3rd WR since Josh is stinking up the joint.

2) Chauncey Stovall-WR-Florida State-6' 2" 210- runs ?- I had this guy listed as a sleeper about mid season. He reminds me of Moulds so much (at least when Moulds was coming out). Big, strong, makes all the catches, battles for the ball. He has been in the shadow of CRaphonso Thorpe because Thorpe has sprinters speed. I still believe that Stovall was the best WR on that team!!! Hes another guy who goes late day 1 and instantly is an upgrade to Reed. Had a highlight film reverse, reverse, reverse then run for the TD.

3) Calvin Armstrong-OT-Washington State-6' 7" 322- Looks thinner than 322 but still well built. Absolutley dominated the DE's. He has this technique where he gets into the pass block, holds the block, and as the DE is just ready to turn the corner on him, he tosses them to the ground. He must have had about 12 pancakes (not really a pancake because he was standing over the DE looking down at them after he tossed them like a rag doll). I loved watching the kid. He so light on his feet adn obviously has the strength to get the job done at LT. Id love for us to land him. Again, this is a sleeper player who is ranked as the 14th best OT by some draft rags. A great find inthe 4th or later.

4) Rian Melander-OT-Minnesota-6' 7" 295- Looks more like 340. He is absolutely HUGE, not fat, HUGE. Yet he has nimble feet, locks on and isolates his guys. He is a stud in the making. Again a quality pick in the 4th or later, I can see him as a LT.

5) Stefan Lefors-QB-Louisville- 6' 0" 201- The question on him was arm strength but he wowed the stands with some very accurate long throws, one to JR Russell for a TD. I was impressed overall, he has some escapability but is by no means Vick or Losman, just that he isnt a statue. I liked his humble attitude. Could be a good guy to add as our #3 QB and develop. Problem is, he helped his cause enough to go above the 5th probably. We have more pressing needs but you never know.

Thats it so far. I love the drafts where we get sleepers, personally. Although we have been nailed by many of these picks- Jamie Nails, Erik Flowers, Sammy Morris. But onthe flip side we have had some steals too- Terrence McGee, McGahee, Shaud Williams

Anyways my dream draft, at this point, would go like this:

2 (1) (henry pick) - CJ Brooks OG Maryland

2 (2)- Mike Nugent K Ohio State

3 - Jerome Mathis WR Hampton

4 (1)- Calvin Armstrong OT Washington State

4 (2) (winfield compensatory) - Chauncey Stovall WR Florida State

5- JJ Arrington RB Cal

6- Diamond Ferri S Syracuse

7- Stefan Lefors QB Louisville

Im taking 2 WR's an no TE because I think we get a stud TE in FA, and I also feel that our current WR's past Moulds and Evans need to be upgraded. Id like to see us keep Reed but I believe BOTH these draftees (Mathis and Stovall) could beat out any of the rest of them Aiken, or Smith. So Id like it to be 1) Evans 2) Moulds 3) Mathis or Stovall 4) Reed 5) Aiken or Smith (probably Smith because of ST).

Thoughts?

215036[/snapback]

This was a great post. I like Nugent also but I really don't think they'll pull the trigger on the kid. I like Brooks also if he is on the board when we pick. I also like Moats out of Louisiana Tech and I think we should consider him.