Draft prospect bowl games

JP-era

So I watched the East West Shrine and the North South. I was VERY impressed with a few players.

I will rank them from most impressive on down:

1) Jerome Mathis-WR-Hampton-6' 0" 180- runs a 4.4. This guy was stellar. Big, fast, catches everything thrown his way, gets lots of YAC, and is quick enough to break all kinds of tackles. Heres the comments:

For the North, Hampton receiver Jerome Mathis scored on a 26-yard reception and a 38-yard run off a reverse. Mathis had 108 yards of total offense — 59 yards receiving on two catches, and 49 yards rushing on two carries.

“Every time I step on the big stage, I get even better,” said Mathis, one of just 10 players who didn’t come from Division I-A programs.

Id love to spend a 3rd rounder on him (thats an assumption on where he is after shooting up from nowhere). We have other players we want early but Id love for us to get a true 3rd WR since Josh is stinking up the joint.

2) Chauncey Stovall-WR-Florida State-6' 2" 210- runs ?- I had this guy listed as a sleeper about mid season. He reminds me of Moulds so much (at least when Moulds was coming out). Big, strong, makes all the catches, battles for the ball. He has been in the shadow of CRaphonso Thorpe because Thorpe has sprinters speed. I still believe that Stovall was the best WR on that team!!! Hes another guy who goes late day 1 and instantly is an upgrade to Reed. Had a highlight film reverse, reverse, reverse then run for the TD.

3) Calvin Armstrong-OT-Washington State-6' 7" 322- Looks thinner than 322 but still well built. Absolutley dominated the DE's. He has this technique where he gets into the pass block, holds the block, and as the DE is just ready to turn the corner on him, he tosses them to the ground. He must have had about 12 pancakes (not really a pancake because he was standing over the DE looking down at them after he tossed them like a rag doll). I loved watching the kid. He so light on his feet adn obviously has the strength to get the job done at LT. Id love for us to land him. Again, this is a sleeper player who is ranked as the 14th best OT by some draft rags. A great find inthe 4th or later.

4) Rian Melander-OT-Minnesota-6' 7" 295- Looks more like 340. He is absolutely HUGE, not fat, HUGE. Yet he has nimble feet, locks on and isolates his guys. He is a stud in the making. Again a quality pick in the 4th or later, I can see him as a LT.

5) Stefan Lefors-QB-Louisville- 6' 0" 201- The question on him was arm strength but he wowed the stands with some very accurate long throws, one to JR Russell for a TD. I was impressed overall, he has some escapability but is by no means Vick or Losman, just that he isnt a statue. I liked his humble attitude. Could be a good guy to add as our #3 QB and develop. Problem is, he helped his cause enough to go above the 5th probably. We have more pressing needs but you never know.

Thats it so far. I love the drafts where we get sleepers, personally. Although we have been nailed by many of these picks- Jamie Nails, Erik Flowers, Sammy Morris. But onthe flip side we have had some steals too- Terrence McGee, McGahee, Shaud Williams

Anyways my dream draft, at this point, would go like this:

2 (1) (henry pick) - CJ Brooks OG Maryland

2 (2)- Mike Nugent K Ohio State

3 - Jerome Mathis WR Hampton

4 (1)- Calvin Armstrong OT Washington State

4 (2) (winfield compensatory) - Chauncey Stovall WR Florida State

5- JJ Arrington RB Cal

6- Diamond Ferri S Syracuse

7- Stefan Lefors QB Louisville

Im taking 2 WR's an no TE because I think we get a stud TE in FA, and I also feel that our current WR's past Moulds and Evans need to be upgraded. Id like to see us keep Reed but I believe BOTH these draftees (Mathis and Stovall) could beat out any of the rest of them Aiken, or Smith. So Id like it to be 1) Evans 2) Moulds 3) Mathis or Stovall 4) Reed 5) Aiken or Smith (probably Smith because of ST).

Thoughts?

5- JJ Arrington RB Cal

215036[/snapback]

as for your draft picks, i like the majority of them......however, i would switch out nugent for a CB (i'm very concerned about clements impending free agency next year) and don't view WR as the need that you do, so i'd look towards more help on the DL in the 3rd.......

Becht

Franks

Huh?

215047[/snapback]

i don't consider them studs.........neither guy can stretch the field and play downfield all that well..........a guy like franks and becht isn't going to change a defense's gameplan...........gonzo, heap, shockey, gates -- those guys are studs.......

heath miller may be as well, but i think he'll be long gone before we pick......

i don't consider them studs.........neither guy can stretch the field and play downfield all that well..........a guy like franks and becht isn't going to change a defense's gameplan...........gonzo, heap, shockey, gates -- those guys are studs.......

heath miller may be as well, but i think he'll be long gone before we pick......

215071[/snapback]

All those guys arent going anywhere. Miller is long gone by our pick. So if you feel we need one of the leagues best, trade Travis for him instead of the 2nd rounder. Problem is ALL those guys are on teams that dont really need or want a stud RB. Shockey is the only one, and the Gianst arent showing interest in Travis.

So, I dont see that we can do what you want. Franks and Becht are both big upgrades IMO, not pro-bowlers, but big upgrades. That may be all we can do and is probably good enough.

All those guys arent going anywhere. Miller is long gone by our pick. So if you feel we need one of the leagues best, trade Travis for him instead of the 2nd rounder. Problem is ALL those guys are on teams that dont really need or want a stud RB. Shockey is the only one, and the Gianst arent showing interest in Travis.

So, I dont see that we can do what you want. Franks and Becht are both big upgrades IMO, not pro-bowlers, but big upgrades. That may be all we can do and is probably good enough.

215073[/snapback]

i never said we should try to land a "stud TE" like gonzo/shockey/heap/gates because obviously they aern't going anywhere.........i would be happy with franks or becht (or pollard), i just wouldn't go calling them studs because they're not in that class and don't bring all the attirubtes of a "stud TE" to the table.....a "stud TE" is just not easy to find.......

i'm all for signing franks/becht/pollard, but i wouldn't have a problem with then drafting a TE on day one if that position is "best player available"........gamechangers at the position are rare and if we have a shot at one, i'm all for landing that guy........

i never said we should try to land a "stud TE" like gonzo/shockey/heap/gates because obviously they aern't going anywhere.........i would be happy with franks or becht (or pollard), i just wouldn't go calling them studs because they're not in that class and don't bring all the attirubtes of a "stud TE" to the table.....a "stud TE" is just not easy to find.......

i'm all for signing franks/becht/pollard, but i wouldn't have a problem with then drafting a TE on day one if that position is "best player available"........gamechangers at the position are rare and if we have a shot at one, i'm all for landing that guy........

215078[/snapback]

sounds like we are in screaming agreement

sounds like we are in screaming agreement

215080[/snapback]

it's really a shame we couldn't land jason witten in '03.......i loved this guy heading into the draft (along with many others on this board) and was shocked when he slipped all the way to the 3rd round (he was the top rated TE in most mocks and a 1st round prospect).........cowboys got a steal.......

i think we're all pretty happy with kelsey's development, but witten defantiely would have had a bigger impact and contributed more......the guy can block, he can catch, and he can stretch the field........it's too bad we didn't deal up from our 3rd rounder (crowell), cause like i said, stud TE's are hard to find.........i remember alot on this board were hoping for witten with our first rounder.......

So I watched the East West Shrine and the North South. I was VERY impressed with a few players.

I will rank them from most impressive on down:

1) Jerome Mathis-WR-Hampton-6' 0" 180- runs a 4.4. This guy was stellar. Big, fast, catches everything thrown his way, gets lots of YAC, and is quick enough to break all kinds of tackles. Heres the comments:

For the North, Hampton receiver Jerome Mathis scored on a 26-yard reception and a 38-yard run off a reverse. Mathis had 108 yards of total offense — 59 yards receiving on two catches, and 49 yards rushing on two carries.

“Every time I step on the big stage, I get even better,” said Mathis, one of just 10 players who didn’t come from Division I-A programs.

Id love to spend a 3rd rounder on him (thats an assumption on where he is after shooting up from nowhere). We have other players we want early but Id love for us to get a true 3rd WR since Josh is stinking up the joint.

2) Chauncey Stovall-WR-Florida State-6' 2" 210- runs ?- I had this guy listed as a sleeper about mid season. He reminds me of Moulds so much (at least when Moulds was coming out). Big, strong, makes all the catches, battles for the ball. He has been in the shadow of CRaphonso Thorpe because Thorpe has sprinters speed. I still believe that Stovall was the best WR on that team!!! Hes another guy who goes late day 1 and instantly is an upgrade to Reed. Had a highlight film reverse, reverse, reverse then run for the TD.

3) Calvin Armstrong-OT-Washington State-6' 7" 322- Looks thinner than 322 but still well built. Absolutley dominated the DE's. He has this technique where he gets into the pass block, holds the block, and as the DE is just ready to turn the corner on him, he tosses them to the ground. He must have had about 12 pancakes (not really a pancake because he was standing over the DE looking down at them after he tossed them like a rag doll). I loved watching the kid. He so light on his feet adn obviously has the strength to get the job done at LT. Id love for us to land him. Again, this is a sleeper player who is ranked as the 14th best OT by some draft rags. A great find inthe 4th or later.

4) Rian Melander-OT-Minnesota-6' 7" 295- Looks more like 340. He is absolutely HUGE, not fat, HUGE. Yet he has nimble feet, locks on and isolates his guys. He is a stud in the making. Again a quality pick in the 4th or later, I can see him as a LT.

5) Stefan Lefors-QB-Louisville- 6' 0" 201- The question on him was arm strength but he wowed the stands with some very accurate long throws, one to JR Russell for a TD. I was impressed overall, he has some escapability but is by no means Vick or Losman, just that he isnt a statue. I liked his humble attitude. Could be a good guy to add as our #3 QB and develop. Problem is, he helped his cause enough to go above the 5th probably. We have more pressing needs but you never know.

Thats it so far. I love the drafts where we get sleepers, personally. Although we have been nailed by many of these picks- Jamie Nails, Erik Flowers, Sammy Morris. But onthe flip side we have had some steals too- Terrence McGee, McGahee, Shaud Williams

5- JJ Arrington RB Cal

Im taking 2 WR's an no TE because I think we get a stud TE in FA, and I also feel that our current WR's past Moulds and Evans need to be upgraded. Id like to see us keep Reed but I believe BOTH these draftees (Mathis and Stovall) could beat out any of the rest of them Aiken, or Smith. So Id like it to be 1) Evans 2) Moulds 3) Mathis or Stovall 4) Reed 5) Aiken or Smith (probably Smith because of ST).

Thoughts?

215036[/snapback]

Great List

Here's analysis of these layers from NFL draft Countdown

C.J. Brooks

Official Bio College: Maryland Height: 6-5

Position: Offensive Guard Weight: 311

Class: Senior 40-Yard: 5.19

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Durable player with a load of experience...Has played both guard and tackle with the Terps...Smart and aware...Quick, athletic player with good mobility...Nasty demeanor with a mean streak on the field...Has long arms and big hands...Once he locks on the defender is finished.

Weaknesses: Could stand to add some weight, especially if he is inside at guard...Has to work on the little things...Not a great technician...Needs to get stronger, especially up top.

Notes: First name is Clinton...Could project to tackle in the NFL...Has most of the tools you look for and what he lacks can be worked on and improved.

Mike Nugent

Official Bio College: Ohio St. Height: 5-10

Position: Kicker Weight: 180

Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.7

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Very experienced having started four seasons for the Buckeyes...Has a strong leg for attempts 50+ yards and beyond...Has the nerves to make big, clutch kicks...Consistent and will go on long streaks without missing...Can also kickoff.

Weaknesses: Doesn't have great size but there have been many kickers with slight frames...Can still fine tune and improve his mechanics and technique.

Notes: Elite kicking prospect with day one potential...Actually a better prospect than Nate Kaeding, who was an early 3rd round pick in 2004...Was amazing as a senior and really improved his draft stock.

Jerome Mathis

Official Bio College: Hampton Height: 6-0

Position: Wide Receiver Weight: 180

Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.41

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Has good size...Excellent speed...Has been very productive...Physical player and very tough...Has all the confidence in the world...A big play waiting to happen who is a threat to score everytime he gets his hands on the ball...Also a tremendous return man.

Weaknesses: Played against a lower level of competition and the jump will require a lot of adjustment...Has some character questions that need to be answered...Needs to work on his hands...Still raw and will need to work hard and be developed to reach his full potential.

Notes: Also a track All-American at Hampton...Great sleeper prospect with all the physical tools you look for as well as a lot of upside...Could surprise on Draft Day.

Calvin Armstrong

Official Bio College: Washington St. Height: 6-8

Position: Offensive Tackle Weight: 322

Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.95

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Good size and frame...Athletic and moves well...Hard worker and team leader...Good footwork and agility...Good strength.

Weaknesses: A bit of an underachiever...Lacks a mean streak and killer instinct...Plays too high...Inconsistent...Needs to use his hands better.

Notes: Has the tools you look for but never developed in a dominating player...Could end up being a better pro than college player with the right coaching.

Chauncey Stovall

Official Bio College: Florida St. Height: 6-2

Position: Wide Receiver Weight: 216

Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.70

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Really came on as a senior...Has very good size and a strong, sturdy build...Is very physical...Does all the little things like run good routes and block...Has good hands...Is reliable.

Weaknesses: Lacks the speed you look for...Is not a deep threat...Won't run away from anyone after the catch...Opponents really focused on Thorpe last year which helped him out...Doesn't have a huge upside.

Notes: Actually outperformed the more highly touted Crophonso Thorpe as a senior...Could be a good backup and possession receiver in the pros...Should be a nice pick at some point in day two.

J.J. Arrington

Official Bio College: California Height: 5-9

Position: Running Back Weight: 204

Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.45

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Very productive and had a huge final season with the Bears...Has good speed and a burst...Always a threat to take the ball all the way to the house...Has good hands as a receiver out of the backfield...Runs hard, is tough and very competitive...Is versatile.

Weaknesses: Undersized...Not very elusive in the open field...Needs to take better care of the football...Durability could be a concern at the next level...May have a limited upside in the pros due to his lack of size.

Notes: Came through with a monster senior campaign and really put himself on the NFL map...Doesn't have the size you look for in a starting running back but could make it as a backup in the pros...Prototypcial 3rd down back.

Diamond Ferri

Official Bio College: Syracuse Height: 5-10

Position: Safety Weight: 215

Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.63

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Came through with an excellent senior campaign and was one of the teams MVP's...Has a solid build...Very athletic...Physical...Team leader...Is a threat to score everytime he touches the ball...Still has some upside...Also an excellent special teams player.

Weaknesses: Doesn't have great height...Speed is only average at best...Still raw as a defensive back and needs to work on his technique...Has had some off-field troubles in the past...Isn't a standout in coverage.

Notes: Played tailback early in his career before moving to the secondary...Player with some potential who really improved as a senior...Could find a role for himself in the NFL as a backup and special teams ace.

Stefan LeFors

Official Bio College: Louisville Height: 6-0

Position: Quarterback Weight: 201

Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.62

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Good athlete with excellent mobility to scramble and make things happen when the play breaks down...Very accurate passer with good timing and touch...Doesn't make many mistakes...Has all the intangibles you look for and is a team leader and field general...Has the "It" factor that all the great ones possess.

Weaknesses: Vastly undersized in terms of a pro prospect...Arm strength is subpar and will become more of a problem at the next level...Durability could be a concern due to his size and style of play...Will need to be in the right system to even have a chance.

Notes: Father, Mother and Brother are all deaf...Had an incredible senior season and will get a shot in the NFL but just doesn't have the physical tools the pros look for...Could develop into an excellent backup.

we're not going to get a compensatory pick for winfield because we didn't lose more FA than we brought in. Brush up on the rules and your drafts will improve.

215130[/snapback]

You can begin biting me at any moment.

Take your arrogance somewhere where its needed like the O Reilly factor! JERKOFF!