Source: Bills could have new owner as soon as October

7 pages is.... here is what I read

A vote could take place as early as their annual October session

The source said a more likely timetable to vote on the Bills’ sale would occur later than this autumn – perhaps at the annual labor meeting in December or the annual owners meeting in March – but October is possible.

too many things to do in 6 months to get a group / person to set financing and get all legal papers in order and get 75% of the owners to approve.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The source said a more likely timetable to vote on the Bills’ sale would occur later than this autumn – perhaps at the annual labor meeting in December or the annual owners meeting in March – but October is possible.

too many things to do in 6 months to get a group / person to set financing and get all legal papers in order and get 75% of the owners to approve.

Unless the wheels have been in motion for some period of time already...in which case... :thumbsup:

even by 12 months is much quicker than I had expected/hoped for and a good sign IMO

Two Miracles are required for sainthood. The first was keeping the team here for 54 years, the second would be arranging for the team to stay here long after his death.

I have every confidence that is exactly what ralph has done.

Wow. I thought this thread was going to be positive but I was wrong.

I can’t believe that so many people think this is the first step towards the Bills moving to Toronto.

The Bills in Toronto series was an experiment and that obviously failed due to the Bills not playing there this year.

I only see this as good news. Especially when you see what has happened since Ralph’s passing. We now have a new stadium committee who has already met and if the reports are true that a new owner could be announced within a year then I can’t see it being someone other than a person who will keep the team in Buffalo.

I have a feeling that perhaps a potential owner might have been identified in some sort of verbal agreement before Ralph passed who would meet the selling price that Ralph and Mary have set.

I view this as a positive sign. The fact that this is happening so quickly makes me think that the Bills are staying in WNY.

CBF

Wow. I thought this thread was going to be positive but I was wrong.

I can’t believe that so many people think this is the first step towards the Bills moving to Toronto.

The Bills in Toronto series was an experiment and that obviously failed due to the Bills not playing there this year.

I only see this as good news. Especially when you see what has happened since Ralph’s passing. We now have a new stadium committee who has already met and if the reports are true that a new owner could be announced within a year then I can’t see it being someone other than a person who will keep the team in Buffalo.

I have a feeling that perhaps a potential owner might have been identified in some sort of verbal agreement before Ralph passed who would meet the selling price that Ralph and Mary have set.

I view this as a positive sign. The fact that this is happening so quickly makes me think that the Bills are staying in WNY.

CBF

please be Pegula.

as a landlord, I can tell you that's not true. Site, you could take anyone to court for breach of their lease, but that doesn't mean they have to pay it. It's your responsibility as the landlord to hint then down and recoup your funds. Say for example, the tenants are under SS disability, good luck getting a fine from them for breaking their lease. This goes the other way too, say for example you try and evict them because they are 3 months late in their rent. If they are publicly assisted, your not evicting anyone. Sure, to most normal people who pay their bills it seems logical, but to scumbags that try and cheat the system and everything involved with it, your going to have a miserable couple months. I know there's much more intelligent lawyer speak to explain this but I'm no lawyer but I am a landlord and I know what rights I don't have.

I was operating under the assumption the majority owner of the Bills wouldn't be on public assistance (corporate welfare aside). :nana:

It seems like you're looking at this from a landlord's perspective, not a tenent's. While's it's only happened a couple of times, when a tenent has tried get out of his lease (I'll let them go if they have a valid reason for wanting to break the lease), I have had no troubles being awarded a judgment for the entire lease amount. I stopped the enforcement after I had enough to make up the difference between when they stiffed me and when I had another tenant, but I could have collected on the entire balance of the lease, ie, monthly rent x 12 months.

If a tenant of RWS tried to break the lease, I don't buy for a moment he would get off scot-free.

Edited by Campy

Regarding the chances of the Bills moving to LA - I think these are very slim. There are 3 teams I can see moving there before the Bills-

1. Chargers - Have a year to year lease on their stadium. They need a new one and have been trying to get a new stadium for several years. They have a fan base already in LA. They could regionalize the team as a Southern Cal team.

2. Rams - the owner has already purchased land in LA that could be used as a stadium. They probably already have fans in LA who stuck with the Rams after they moved to STL.

3. Jags - Jacksonville has been a bad market for the NFL. Three Florida teams are too many with there being so many transplants from other areas who are loyal to their teams. When the Bills played at Tampa and Jax last year, the stadiums were filled with Bills fans.

The Bills moving to LA would be very difficult. First, there is the waiting period. Second, the penalty. Third, you are starting a fan base there from scratch. It is certainly possible, but I just don't see it as likely. By the time the team could reasonably move, I think the LA market will have been claimed.

I think a far more likely scenario is the team staying here with regionalization into Southern Ontario, Rochester, and even Syracuse. The UB Bulls are an example of trying to be New York State's big college football program (as a state school, Cuse notwithstanding). I think the same viewpoint could be held that the Bills could take advantage of regionalizing so that they push that they are NYS's team, including the upstate and proximity to a whole other country.

IMO, Pegula would be the best possible scenario for a majority owner. Even better would be building a stadium along the waterfront which, judging by his Harborfront efforts, seems very viable. This would all be a dream come true - I had no idea how much money he had until I looked it up last night. Very deep pockets.

If it's an ownership group with local interests, or owner singular, it will probably be much easier and faster to get the needed 75% approval. Much longer process if it's a group looking to move team.

Edited by HansLanda

If it's an ownership group with local interests, or owner singular, it will probably be much easier and faster to get the needed 75% approval. Much longer process if it's a group looking to move team.

Yep...and I'll add this: if (and I have no knowledge that this is the case) it were Pegula, he'd get approved by the NFL in a unanimous vote.

The other owners would be ecstatic.

Ralph has only been gone 2 weeks and this is already leaking... I agree that Tim Graham, who insists he stands behind the source that the team will be sold within the year and even possible in 6 months, would not go on record about something so critical if he did not feel confident this was all in place. Along with our blogger Massare, who if you can take his twitter antics sometimes really does seem to have insight however he gets it, plus the years of Kelly going on record about a local group, just all points to this sale being a plan already in place.

The problem with Jacksonville is it is a college town. They are rtight in the middle of University of Georgia & Florida & they are in the heart of SEC country. College football rules in the south, not the NFL.

That's a good point. And I'd add that another problem with Jax is that it's a Navy town. So many of the people that are there have no real ties to Jax. In other words, if you were assigned to Jax for 3 years for work, would you drop the Bills and follow the Jags?

Regarding the chances of the Bills moving to LA - I think these are very slim. There are 3 teams I can see moving there before the Bills-

1. Chargers - Have a year to year lease on their stadium. They need a new one and have been trying to get a new stadium for several years. They have a fan base already in LA. They could regionalize the team as a Southern Cal team.

2. Rams - the owner has already purchased land in LA that could be used as a stadium. They probably already have fans in LA who stuck with the Rams after they moved to STL.

3. Jags - Jacksonville has been a bad market for the NFL. Three Florida teams are too many with there being so many transplants from other areas who are loyal to their teams. When the Bills played at Tampa and Jax last year, the stadiums were filled with Bills fans.

The Bills moving to LA would be very difficult. First, there is the waiting period. Second, the penalty. Third, you are starting a fan base there from scratch. It is certainly possible, but I just don't see it as likely. By the time the team could reasonably move, I think the LA market will have been claimed.

I think a far more likely scenario is the team staying here with regionalization into Southern Ontario, Rochester, and even Syracuse. The UB Bulls are an example of trying to be New York State's big college football program (as a state school, Cuse notwithstanding). I think the same viewpoint could be held that the Bills could take advantage of regionalizing so that they push that they are NYS's team, including the upstate and proximity to a whole other country.

IMO, Pegula would be the best possible scenario for a majority owner. Even better would be building a stadium along the waterfront which, judging by his Harborfront efforts, seems very viable. This would all be a dream come true - I had no idea how much money he had until I looked it up last night. Very deep pockets.

And don't forget the Raiders, the team that still claims L.A. as it's territory. They have made it known they want to return but the NFL doesn't want them to.