Source: Bills could have new owner as soon as October

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its got to be Pegula. No one else has the wealth to move ahead quickly and the name recognition and organization to get it done fast. Trump is too controversial, Jacobs owns a franchise in another city. Toronto could not be an option this quickly.

For all we know there has been a plan in place this whole time. My fear is it's with the group that put on the Toronto series. That's one of the reasons why the partnership existed in the first place. I hope I'm wrong but all signs point to that

Been telling you guys this. Mary Wilson does not want the team this was made clear years ago. Ralphs will said to sell it ASAP based on league rules, that has been known (and apparently ignored) as well. Now for the final part fans ignore, an owner CAN Move the bills and pretty much ignore the 400 mill fine. No Court will ever force a person or business to be a tenant. AND WNY must prove to a court they suffered 400 million in damages and they will never be able to. Now a new owner may keep the team here, but fans need to quit wishing and start dealing in facts.

A new owner could move the team if the court for some reason allows them to break the terms of the lease agreement. That is no guarantee; we aren't talking about an apartment complex lease. We're talking a lease between a corporation and political entities of New York State. And a court battle leading up to your hypothetical decision would be timely and costly in either event. At that point, if reports are to be believed, that new owner would then be required to pay the 400 million dollar fee to move the team. On top of the league relocation fee. On top of the legal costs associated with the court proceedings. None of that is a small thing.

Edited by purple haze

For all we know there has been a plan in place this whole time. My fear is it's with the group that put on the Toronto series. That's one of the reasons why the partnership existed in the first place. I hope I'm wrong but all signs point to that

You maybe right, but would a group wanting to move the team to Toronto allow for the postponement of the series,no matter how underwhelming it has been?

of the Toronto series wasn't at a standstill, I would have guessed that as well. Bit of the Toronto group were serious players, there's no way they would have given up their 1 game a year even if it was just for 1 year.

On another note, this has me wondering for sure that not only have the front runners been in contact with Ralph's family and OBD, but they were a big player in fighting for that extra game back this year. Probably because they knew Ralph's health problems wouldn't be much longer until this was going to happen.

On top of that, I foresee naming rights to happen this year as well. With the stadium being renovated, and Ralph no longer here, I see the naming rights going to someone soon. Rich, Delaware North, New Era, Wegmans, Geico...with some special consideration made for Ralph to honor him and the stadium.

A new owner could move the team if the court for some reason allows them to break the terms of the lease agreement. That is no guarantee; we aren't talking about an apartment complex lease. We're talking a lease between a corporation and political entities of New York State. And a court battle leading up to your hypothetical decision would be timely and costly in either event. At that point, if reports are to be believed, that new owner would then be required to pay the 400 million dollar fee to move the team. On top of the league relocation fee. On top of the legal costs associated with the court proceedings. None of that is a small thing.

nor is it a quick thing. It wouldn't be happening prior to the 2020 season. It would take a minimum of 3 years probably to get something like this hashed out. Chances are, considering the state is involved, they will drag their feet to make this a long process for the new owner that is trying to burn the state of their only team and $400m.

Why do you fear this? Toronto has no viable NFL stadium. They have no tangible plan in effect to build a viable NFL stadium. They have talked about it. But like the talk in LA there has been no ground broken. It does seem like there were groups identified already. This was rumored a couple years ago by no other than Chad Kelly himself.

Even if the sale didn't happen until December or March that still seems to indicate that there were, in fact, interested groups ready to state their case for ownership of the Bills. I just don't believe, as I've said many times in the past, that Mr. Wilson would get cozy with interests who would move the team. Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely? Based on his history, just the opposite.

Edited by purple haze

You maybe right, but would a group wanting to move the team to Toronto allow for the postponement of the series,no matter how underwhelming it has been?

Yes because they will restart it next year once they own the team and spout out some BS about how things will change now that it's under new ownership and the Bills are officially Canada's team and all this garbage. They will tell us they will work closely with this fake "stadium exploratory commitee" to search all possible avenues for a "new stadium" in Buffalo and let that drag on for a couple of years and then when they see we can't build a $1 billion stadium here (duhhh) they will say they are "forced to move to Toronto." It's sad but the writing is on the wall and maybe it has been for years but we were too blind to see it

nor is it a quick thing. It wouldn't be happening prior to the 2020 season. It would take a minimum of 3 years probably to get something like this hashed out. Chances are, considering the state is involved, they will drag their feet to make this a long process for the new owner that is trying to burn the state of their only team and $400m.

Exactly. They have made it difficult for anyone to slip in and try to run a hi-jack on WNY. Of course, there are never guarantees, but I think us Bills fan can breathe deep about the future for the first time in a long time. Bills have too much support at the top. New York State will provide hell and high water to anybody trying to take the Bills. And the league doesn't want that stench on them again after the crime Modell ran on the good people of Cleveland.

I know that I can easily just ignore the posts, or not read this thread altogether. But the "OMG the team is moving, how stupid are you that you do not see that" posts are really annoying. Nothing but negativity based on absolutely no fact or knowledge of the situation. If you really can't try and be positive at all about this team why do you even bother??? I'm sure there's other threads, teams, sites that will work for the pessimistic attitude that you seem to enjoy so much.

of the Toronto series wasn't at a standstill, I would have guessed that as well. Bit of the Toronto group were serious players, there's no way they would have given up their 1 game a year even if it was just for 1 year.

Because it was failing it made it in both side's interest to take a year or two off and then come back with a new approach

Yes because they will restart it next year once they own the team and spout out some BS about how things will change now that it's under new ownership and the Bills are officially Canada's team and all this garbage. They will tell us they will work closely with this fake "stadium exploratory commitee" to search all possible avenues for a "new stadium" in Buffalo and let that drag on for a couple of years and then when they see we can't build a $1 billion stadium here (duhhh) they will say they are "forced to move to Toronto." It's sad but the writing is on the wall and maybe it has been for years but we were too blind to see it

Really? So first, they need to deal with the CFL presence. Second, they need a new stadium. Neither is a guarantee in Ontario. Third, why do you think Toronto can offer so much more than an ownership group with WNY ties?

Edited by purple haze

Because it was failing it made it in both side's interest to take a year or two off and then come back with a new approach

if it was failing so bad, why would that group be a serious front runner to purchase the team??? They NEVER sold out a game. They incredibly overestimated the need for the NFL in Toronto as they consistently overpriced the tickets, underperformed when it came to the NFL experience and couldn't even give away tickets at times. Maybe it wasn't The Bills that asked to end their games there, maybe it was Toronto realizing they were not ready for the NFL after a few years if failure.

Really? So first, they need to deal with the CFL presence. Second, they need a new stadium. Neither is a guarantee in Ontario.

They are dealing with the CFL presence now. The Argos are moving out of the city to a new stadium I believe or I read that that is their intention at least. Then they have 6-9 years to build a stadium in Toronto for the NFL. Or maybe they can't but I'm sure they have a better shot at building one there than we do here. Our best chance is to do so massive renovations at the Ralph but we would need an ownership group that is ok with that vision. Hopefully there is one out there that exists