Trip to Ireland . . . . advice needed.

B-Man

Hi, I wonder if anyone who has been to Ireland (or the U.K.) could give me some input, since I am heading over there in a few weeks.

I am not really looking for "sites" to see (though any suggestions are gladly accepted) The Mrs. has already mapped that part all out.

I have never been overseas and I was wondering about a couple of things.

* Spending..........using credit/debit card for everything vs "changing" cash

* Cell phone usage.....cost ? need? text?......Chargers ??

* Tablet........my wife never goes anywhere without her Samsung pad....lol

* car rental vs daily bus pass. We aren't on a tour ...have rail tickets betwen cities already, others say the pass works well.

* Dining ?.........Pub food okay ?............we'll be in there anyway.

* Weather (supposed to be in the 40 - 50's ) we weren't really going to pack much

Any other advice will be thankfully (and skeptically......lol) accepted.

Make sure that you give your bank notice that you will be out of the country and need to use your debit and credit card. Getting declined with no access to cash isn't fun.

Carry cash. You'll want it.

Cell usage and cost is highly variable depending on the hardware you have, carrier and plan. If you have an old iPhone 3 handy you can probably get a prepaid SIM card. Talk to your carrier.

I've been a handful of times. Sooooo here's my input:

- Use credit (never debit) for as much as possible. This is actually a general piece of advice. Basically if your plastic card gets stolen, hacked, the number lifted, whatever... a credit company is much more capable of reversing charges, so that you are protected. Debit cards, however, are directly connected to your checking/cash... and when that money is gone, it's often gone, unless you happen to get some really good customer service. Before you go, make sure to call your bank(s) and let them know you are traveling. So they don't shut your card(s) down while out of country.

- Cash - always have at least some cash with you, as not everywhere takes credit. If you're in a city, you'll have access to plenty of ATMs. Contact your bank before going, to see if they have partner banks. Bank of America, for example has Barclays in the UK. So you won't get charged extra fees when getting cash out.

- Cellphone - that will vary from user to user. I keep an old unlocked iPhone around for when I travel out of the country. Most countries have pay as you go SIM cards for data and voice. I search for the best network coverage of the country I go to before I go, and hit up a shop when I get into the airport.

- Tablet - handy devices, lighter than laptops. Very recommended.

- Electricity - buy some adapters on Amazon. There's small ones for smaller devices that don't need conversion. For things like blowdryers, you'll generally want to get the heavier duty converters. But I don't have any experience. Someone else could probably speak on this topic more. But I basically just get basic converters for the things I bring.

- If you're in a major city, forget the car. Public transportation in Europe is awesome. Not to mention, most places are incredibly pedestrian friendly. Getting between cities? Trains/planes are dirt cheap. If you're wanting to go outside of cities, though, either take a bus tour, or rent a car.

- I don't have much opinion on food... I eat like a college student when I travel. All grease, all the time. ;) I'd pack vitamins, though, and make sure to get at least one healthy snack a day, just to keep yourself from feeling too crappy.

- Weather won't be an issue if you're used to Buffalo weather. The British Isles are generally overcast and damp. Doesn't get too hot, and storms aren't usually too extreme.

---

I know you aren't asking for sight seeing suggestions, but if you care at all about seeing beautiful scenery, I very strongly suggest getting outside of the cities and into the country side. The northwest of Scotland, for example, is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. There's similar scenery in Ireland and England, though as well.

Also important to remember. The UK - England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland, all use the sterling pound. Ireland, uses the Euro.

Edited by Dorkington

1) Agree with the advice on converters . . . Plus there's usually a 110 outlet in the bathroom called the shaver outlet. Not convenient, but if you don't have converters.

2) Don't drive in a city. Even tiny Southampton was a maze of confusion for me . . . Lots of roundabouts and everything is routed around existing structures, so forget about anything resembling the grid layout of Buffalo . . .

don't go chasing leprechauns?

get travelers checks

After you tell your bank you will be traveling and every card you plan on using your bank will then charge you a fee on every transaction and maybe even a currency conversion fee.

other suggestions

International calling plans can get expensive. do the research, If you have to, get an international calling card from ATT or some such. there has to be hardline phones to use. Your PC should help with Skype, IM and email.

40-50's will be cold and damp good lick packing light

* Spending..........using credit/debit card for everything vs "changing" cash - check on your credit card - many add a fee for currency conversions.

* Cell phone usage.....cost ? need? text?......Chargers ?? - Get details on your plan before you go. You can get no-contract temporary plans over there if necessary.

* Tablet........my wife never goes anywhere without her Samsung pad....lol - If it's cellular, turn that off. Use Wi-Fi.

* car rental vs daily bus pass. We aren't on a tour ...have rail tickets betwen cities already, others say the pass works well. I actually really enjoyed driving there, and only almost killed us once :)

* Dining ?.........Pub food okay ?............we'll be in there anyway. YES!

* Weather (supposed to be in the 40 - 50's ) we weren't really going to pack much - Yeah it'll probably be pretty dreary especially around the coasts.

HAVE A BLAST! I was never a Guinness fan til I went over there, now it's my go-to beverage.

look left when crossing street- cars drive opposite side and it is very easy to get hit

wear a money belt. Thieves love targeting tourists. A money belt has saved me before

blend in. Represent America well. Don't be an ugly American

This is just my opinion, but personally I'll deal with the relatively minor fees, over the hassle of traveler's checks and bringing a bunch of cash/converting it.

As far as money belt and being targeted. If you're in a first world country, just live like you normally do in any US city. Keep your wallet, passport, and phone in your front pockets. Money belts are silly. If you carry a bag, make it a bag that's relatively annoying to get into. You'll be fine. One thing to do, though, give a friend, or family member, a photocopy of your passport, and it's also not a bad idea to have a folded up copy in some small pocket of something. Just in case you lose your passport, it'll make life easier when/if you have to go to the US Consulate.

- Use credit (never debit) for as much as possible. This is actually a general piece of advice. Basically if your plastic card gets stolen, hacked, the number lifted, whatever... a credit company is much more capable of reversing charges, so that you are protected. Debit cards, however, are directly connected to your checking/cash... and when that money is gone, it's often gone, unless you happen to get some really good customer service. Before you go, make sure to call your bank(s) and let them know you are traveling. So they don't shut your card(s) down while out of country.

I remain completely baffled by people who choose to use debit cards instead of credit cards.

Cash is always handy but in my experience, the exchange rate you get using your CC is far better than what you pay at a currency exchange location.

Traveler's cheques? Karl Malden just called from the 1970s to say hello.

On more important matters, be sure to drink lots of beer and whiskey.

As others have said, use your credit card(s) exclusively - never use a debit card for transactions.

Check with your bank and credit card companies and alert them that you'll be overseas.

Same with your cell phone provider - ask about call and data charges while you're "over there".

Our ccc doesn't charge a fee for foreign currency exchange, and that's nice.

Don't get psyched out about driving on the left side of the road, and never call it "the Wrong Side of the road".

The traffic circles are a wee bit weird though, and often come back-to-back when several roads intersect in close proximity.

If in Dublin, go to Bewley's for a coffee. Don't plan an "elegant" dinner in Temple Bar, it likely won't be "elegant".

The west of Ireland is the best AFAIC.

Hope you have a great time and wonderful experiences.

Cheers! :beer:

Having lived and worked in the UK for a number of years, here's my advice:

* Spending..........using credit/debit card for everything vs "changing" cash

Definitely use your card(make sure you tell your bank and double check that they understand), you'll get a better exchange rate from your bank than you would from those awful cash exchange places

* Cell phone usage.....cost ? need? text?......Chargers ??

This one depends. If you have a smart phone and don't need to be in contact with people 24/7, lots of places have wifi or free wifi where you can connect your phone. If you need to be contactable 24/7 check with your phone provider.

* Tablet........my wife never goes anywhere without her Samsung pad....lol

Tablet is definitely better than laptop and again, you'll find a lot of places with wifi.

* car rental vs daily bus pass. We aren't on a tour ...have rail tickets betwen cities already, others say the pass works well.

I'd say public transport. Trains/buses are cheap and if you'll be in the city most of the time it's easy to get around.

* Dining ?.........Pub food okay ?............we'll be in there anyway.

This is a tricky one. Pub food CAN be great, but it depends on the pub. There are loads of "chain" pubs like Weatherspoons, Toby Carvery etc. that just microwave their meals. So if you are looking for authentic cuisine, I wouldn't suggest that. Most hotels have a pub attached to them as well, these are generally chain pubs, so I'd avoid them as well. There are also normal restaurants that aren't pubs. My suggestion would be to look on TripAdvisor for places to eat, read people's reviews and build yourself a nice list of places you want to eat that way you can avoid disappointment. If you aren't bothered about the experience, any old pub will do.

* Weather (supposed to be in the 40 - 50's ) we weren't really going to pack much

Dress like you would dress for upstate in the spring. Some days may be warm and dry, some wet and cold. Layers are your friend and definitely pack a water proof jacket.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

I think others have said, but "small is relative I guess. Some cards sharge as much as 3% when used in a foreign country. Lets say you spend $5,000, thats $150 down the tubes. I would check your all your cards to see if you have one with no fees and use that exclusively.

Also, most of Europe has scrapped signatures with Credit Cards purchases in favor of cards with chips in them that also require a pin. Not an issue at restaurants, stores etc, only where there is a machine only. For instance, in Paris over Christmas, we could not use any of our credit cards to buy Metro tickets at the ticket machines. It required a card with a smart chip(which we had) and PIN...had to use cash. Just a heads up on that.

I cannot speak to the bus system between cities, as we rented car when there. If you do decide to go car, downgrade the car, get a stick, and get FULL insurance. I can almost guarantee at least a mirror getting dinged at the least. Best advice i got when i was planning in a midsize with automatic and going to decline the insurance as I do here. Went with manual compact , and i was extremely happy i did

its not difficult to get a $100 travelers check and walk into a bank.

If someone steals your check(s) you get new ones immediately. you have cash and get robbed ... you are screwed. you have plastic and get robbed .. you are screwed

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

As far as money belt and being targeted. If you're in a first world country, just live like you normally do in any US city. Keep your wallet, passport, and phone in your front pockets. Money belts are silly. If you carry a bag, make it a bag that's relatively annoying to get into. You'll be fine. One thing to do, though, give a friend, or family member, a photocopy of your passport, and it's also not a bad idea to have a folded up copy in some small pocket of something. Just in case you lose your passport, it'll make life easier when/if you have to go to the US Consulate.

traveling is one of my biggest passions and money belts are my number one tip. They have saved me a few times. And pickpockets are everywhere. And they are good. I know their tricks and am a very savvy traveler. Yet they still pickpocketed me before . Crime happens everywhere- even in first world. And Americans most always stand out. They might as well have a bullseye on them

traveling is one of my biggest passions and money belts are my number one tip. They have saved me a few times. And pickpockets are everywhere. And they are good. I know their tricks and am a very savvy traveler. Yet they still pickpocketed me before . Crime happens everywhere- even in first world. And Americans most always stand out. They might as well have a bullseye on them

If you're getting pickpocketed, then you aren't that savvy. :P

Also, I guess that should be one bit of advice... don't stand out. And don't dress rich. Maybe I don't get pick pocketed because I'm pretty homely when I travel. ;)

Edit: I should say, I'm not saying that money belts are bad. I just think they are unnecessary in many places. Go for it, if it makes you feel safe. I used one on my first overseas trip. But haven't in the ones since. :)

Edited by Dorkington