ESPN: Bills' backup plan for Byrd underwhelming

Pitta

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://espn.go.com/b...d-underwhelming

As with when Levitre left, the lack of succession plan in place for when we let good players leave is frustrating. Williams, Meeks, and Searcy were mid-round picks for a reason, and none of them have shown that they are worthy of a starting position. I hope the Bills do bring in a veteran at S at some point

Makes sense...Because teams never Draft and develop mid round prospects... :rolleyes:

Edited by KOKBILLS

Just a terrible article with no substance what-so-ever.. big surprise from ESPN.

Losing Byrd sucks but it's not the end of the world. I actually like the way our secondary is shaping up if they can all stay healthy. That is key. I love what Aaron Williams was able to do last season when he stepped in and replaced Byrd in the lineup. Williams has already shown he can fill Byrd's shoes in this defense. Replacing Williams at SS will be a lot less painful then if they didn't have Aaron Williams & had to replace Byrd with somebody else. Searcy has shown he can be that in the box type safety. Duke Williams will be in play. Corey Graham has the size and smarts to play that center fielder role. Meeks is a wild card.

I just think Byrd won't be that huge of a loss when everything is said and done. We have a young secondary that is only getting better:

CB1: Gilmore - really hope he can stay healthy and show that he is a top tier CB. He can do everything and has the size to match up against anyone

CB2: McKelvin - what a comeback by McKelvin last season. He stepped up big with the new contract and has the talent to be a top CB2

CB3: Graham - Very good signing and adds some quality experience to help out with young secondary. Instant 3rd CB or can play saftey

CB4: Robey - What a steal this kid was. Had 3 sacks and a INT for a TD. Small but that did not deter him.

CB5: Brooks - Really hoping he can turn things around. Should make an impact on special teams

S: Williams - Listed as SS but really doesn't matter. Earned his new contract with 82 tackles, 11 pass defended, 4 INTs, 1 FF.

S: Duke Williams/Searcy/Meeks/Graham - Searcy might be the front runner here. He finished with 71 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 7 pass defended, 1 INT, 1 TD. He has the size at 5'11" / 216 lb . He got a ton of valuable experience last season & should be able to step in.

Byrd is a top 5 safety in the league, and if I hear someone say he is no Ed Reed I think I might puke because Ed Reed is in discussion for top 5 safeties all time and that is a ridiculous standard to hold him to. If Williams is as good or better than Byrd I will be ecstatic. But to say he will be as good as him is unlikely and to say he will be better than him is very unlikely and kind of flat out ridiculous.

I was very happy with the way Williams stepped up last year and he looks like a very good safety but let's just stop with these ridiculous homer posts that declare that whoever Byrd's replacement is will be better so why worry about the position.

Statistically one could argue AW23 had a better year than Byrd. So it's ridiculous to say its ridiculous to assert he might end up being better.

He's not even a full season into safety and had a very strong season.

Corey graham is in the mix at safety... As previously stated, the front seven always makes the secondary look better...

I thought id heard this too... Lots of options for a maybe the 11th most important position on defense.

The Bills will miss Byrd because he is a great player and an intelligent one, but the cons of that I believe are outweighed by what they were able to do with upgrading the LBs in FA with that money. I also do not think Schwartz's D is as dependent on a single high safety as Pettine's. I do not think ,the loss of Byrd will result in a different W-L record than if we were able to keep him. JMO.