ESPN: Bills' backup plan for Byrd underwhelming

Pitta

We're picking Ha-Ha Clinton Dix. That's our backup plan. Searcy/Duke Williams/Meeks aren't starting players. Aaron Williams should stay at SS, not move to FS

I'm not going to be shocked if it happens. Looks to be our biggest need now post FA and it's not like he's rated in the bottom half of the round. Plus with the depth in the draft we can get a good wr in the 2nd and an ORT in the third.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to be shocked if it happens. Looks to be our biggest need now post FA and it's not like he's rated in the bottom half of the round. Plus with the depth in the draft we can get a good wr in the 2nd and an ORT in the third.

If the plan is to draft Ha Ha, I hope it's only after a trade down or two. There are just too many much higher rated players at 9.

GO BILLS!!!

I find Byrd to be underwhelming. Williams was just fine with Searcy and Byrd isn't great in run support, which Williams and Searcy are.

Sometimes I wonder if the homers really believe what they are saying. Byrd is very good against the run and a sure tackler. I know that isn't the same thing as him "not being great" in run support but to me this looks like another Byrd bashing post to make some homer feel better about losing him. Also Da'Norris Searcy was afraid to even attempt a tackle towards the goal line against Marshawn Lynch when we played the Seahawks in Toronto. And Duke Williams is great against the run? The guy has barely played in the league, let's watch him play a little before we crown his ass. No offense but your whole post is kind of trash.

Sometimes I wonder if the homers really believe what they are saying. Byrd is very good against the run and a sure tackler. I know that isn't the same thing as him "not being great" in run support but to me this looks like another Byrd bashing post to make some homer feel better about losing him. Also Da'Norris Searcy was afraid to even attempt a tackle towards the goal line against Marshawn Lynch when we played the Seahawks in Toronto. And Duke Williams is great against the run? The guy has barely played in the league, let's watch him play a little before we crown his ass. No offense but your whole post is kind of trash.

lol :lol:

If the plan is to draft Ha Ha, I hope it's only after a trade down or two. There are just too many much higher rated players at 9.

GO BILLS!!!

I think if the qb's fall, it gets a little thinner at 9, don't you? I guess I doubt we would take any of the qb's. The 3 OT's may be gone, and I just don't think Evans stands out enough compared to what's available in the 2nd. Could be deciding between Mosely, Ebron, Dix maybe a dline given Schwartz.

I'm not saying it's probable, but I wouldn't be surprised given how this draft is shaping up.

The bold text makes a ton of sense.

Can we also watch these guys play a little before we condemn their asses as well?

GO BILLS!!!

I think if the qb's fall, it gets a little thinner at 9, don't you? I guess I doubt we would take any of the qb's. The 3 OT's may be gone, and I just don't think Evans stands out enough compared to what's available in the 2nd. Could be deciding between Mosely, Ebron, Dix maybe a dline given Schwartz.

I'm not saying it's probable, but I wouldn't be surprised given how this draft is shaping up.

I fully agree as I expect one or more of the QBs to fall. Even still, there will be better players available than Clinton-Dix. Can't see him being their BPA at 9 in any scenario.

GO BILLS!!!

The bold text makes a ton of sense.

Can we also watch these guys play a little before we condemn their asses as well?

GO BILLS!!!

Please show me where I condemned Williams? And as far as Searcy is concerned I have watched him play. Is is a safety who is a above average in run support but was afraid to make a goal line tackle on Lynch, and not as good as Byrd against the run. He is also a liability in coverage, who does thankfully have a knack for big plays every once in awhile.

I don't think Ha Ha cracks anyone's top 15...in fact, and perhaps K-9 has heard differently from his contacts, none of the teams whose scouts I know have Ha Ha as the #1 safety on their board.

Seriously just stop with this type of nonsense.

I know he's unproven at FS, but the comparison isn't as crazy as you may think. Both were 2nd round picks, both played CB in college, and both played extremely well at FS in their first exposure to the position.

I don't see why Williams, who's at least as good an athlete as Byrd, cannot be jjust as good a safety.

Please show me where I condemned Williams? And as far as Searcy is concerned I have watched him play. Is is a safety who is a above average in run support but was afraid to make a goal line tackle on Lynch, and not as good as Byrd against the run. He is also a liability in coverage, who does thankfully have a knack for big plays every once in awhile.

I'm referring to the ESPN writer that penned the article. As well as others who have already made up their minds before a single snap of football has been played.

Searcy seems to be a hit or miss cover guy. He's either making a great breakup or allowing a completion. I'm not ready to give up on him just yet.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't think Ha Ha cracks anyone's top 15...in fact, and perhaps K-9 has heard differently from his contacts, none of the teams whose scouts I know have Ha Ha as the #1 safety on their board.

Thanks for the info, that's interesting. Is there a personality problem or is it more physical talent?

I know he's unproven at FS, but the comparison isn't as crazy as you may think. Both were 2nd round picks, both played CB in college, and both played extremely well at FS in their first exposure to the position.

I don't see why Williams, who's at least as good an athlete as Byrd, cannot be jjust as good a safety.

Byrd is a top 5 safety in the league, and if I hear someone say he is no Ed Reed I think I might puke because Ed Reed is in discussion for top 5 safeties all time and that is a ridiculous standard to hold him to. If Williams is as good or better than Byrd I will be ecstatic. But to say he will be as good as him is unlikely and to say he will be better than him is very unlikely and kind of flat out ridiculous.

I was very happy with the way Williams stepped up last year and he looks like a very good safety but let's just stop with these ridiculous homer posts that declare that whoever Byrd's replacement is will be better so why worry about the position.

Aaron Williams is much more athletically gifted than Byrd. If he ever develops Byrd's instincts for the game, and that's a HUGE order for any player, he'd be a perennial All Pro as well. There's a reason he was projected as a better safety when he came out and we saw why when he manned both safety spots last year.

And that play he made to save the Baltimore game, even though he was forced to play CB that game, tells me a lot about him.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I'm referring to the ESPN writer that penned the article. As well as others who have already made up their minds before a single snap of football has been played.

Ok but when you quote me I think it should be pretty safe for me to assume that you were replying to what I said.

IMO, FS position is much more instinctual than physical. And like we know, instincts can't be taught - you either have them or you don't. Byrd had them. He was able to diagnose passing plays very well and was usually in the right place at the right time.

i hate that argument. byrd wasnt just born knowing where a ball would go - he studied like crazy and while his mind may be suited for that type of study, it seems williams has a pretty sharp one too. he played 3 positions last year, made calls and adjustments and seemed to be getting a knack for the game on a very wide level. byrd may be among the best at it, but williams seems well on his way to learning the position.

Edited by NoSaint

You were under-impressed by two players that took virtually zero snaps last season? Do tell.

So...Even though I wrote...

"...And I'm not going to put a tremendous amount of worry into how the two kids looked as rookies trying to adjust from College to Pettine's system...Both Duke and Meeks have excellent athletic ability and they started a combined 60 games in College...There is some potential there..."

You chose to concentrate on the two words "under-impressed," while pointing out that they barely played...Which could certainly be one reason for being less than impressed with their rookie seasons. Could it not? The fact that they (more Williams than Meeks due to Meeks injury) failed to earn more playing time in (at least early on) an injury riddled secondary...

Anyway...You're right...Neither played enough to determine how they will perform as a starting NFL Safety...I was merely under-impressed by both rookie seasons because they did little to actually impress...I am however really looking forward to how they play in 2014 and hoping for the best... B-)

I wished Buffalo could have signed Jairus, but the price would have been too high. I believe the Bills made a good decision. Jarius missed the first 5 games of the season, giving a good sample of games to compare the bills pass defense with him and without him.

Combined opponents QB stats Without Jarius (5 games)....106-197 54% ,1307 yards, YPA 6.6, YPG 261, 9 INT, 9TD . QBR 70.8 , 2 wins 3 losses

Combined opponents QB stats With Jarius (11 Games)......204-364 56%, 1964 yards, YPA 5.4, YPG 178 14 INT,19TD. QBR 72.6% 4 wins 7 losses

I do not see any improvement when he returned that justified the money he was asking. The plan they had last year to replace him produced similar results they got with him. JMO

Thanks for the info, that's interesting. Is there a personality problem or is it more physical talent?

No problem that I know of...just football acumen

Byrd is a top 5 safety in the league, and if I hear someone say he is no Ed Reed I think I might puke because Ed Reed is in discussion for top 5 safeties all time and that is a ridiculous standard to hold him to. If Williams is as good or better than Byrd I will be ecstatic. But to say he will be as good as him is unlikely and to say he will be better than him is very unlikely and kind of flat out ridiculous.

I was very happy with the way Williams stepped up last year and he looks like a very good safety but let's just stop with these ridiculous homer posts that declare that whoever Byrd's replacement is will be better so why worry about the position.

There was nothing even remotely homerish about my post...just a simple statement of why not