Shark Encounter, Cayman Islands

Wooderson

So my buddy's brother is a scuba dive instructor in the Cayman Islands. This video has been going viral all over reddit and various news sources so I wanted to post it here as well. He was wearing a GoPro camera while he was lionfish culling and caught his encounter with a shark on it. Check it out, it's pretty wild. Managed to make it out unscathed, fortunately.

"Oh no, a dogfish! Run away! Run away!"

Caribbean Reef Shark, actually, though a dinky little one. They like to "sleep" in caves - he may have disturbed it poking around for lionfish, and the shark was telling him "Get the !@#$ out of here." Doesn't look like an actual attack, if only because if a shark gets that close to your face and doesn't bite you, you're probably not being attacked.

And yeah, if any sort of fish came out of nowhere and got in my face like that, I'd **** my bathing suit too.

Sharks "attacks" aren't always attacks. A territorial shark will go through a process that includes raking the victim with the teeth of the upper jaw. The shark does not bite (yet) and remove flesh and sever arteries and veins. Yet people will misconstrue this as an attack.

A number of years ago my wife and I went snorkeling in Australia in the Barrier Reef. She pops up rips off her mask and yells "shark!!" The guys running the show after hearing her yell shark several times circle around her in rubber dingies throwing chicken in the water. She's looking at them with a "what the !@#$ are you doing??" look on her face.

I'm just pretty amazed that the shark came back after him twice. I can see the initial rush at him but then when he's heading towards the surface he makes two other attempts at coming after him. Not a very big shark, but I'm sure it could still take a nice chunk out of your arm like nothing.

I used to dive a lot in Hawaii...at first they freaked me out, but after seeing a few they seem less of a big deal. We used to mess with black tip reef shark (similar to the one in the video). Sneak up on them when they are sleeping and grab their fins! Stupid I guess, but nobody got hurt.

One of my scariest moments was seeing a hammerhead swimming overhead. Unlike the reef sharks, those are known to be aggressive bastards. I just froze for a minute then headed straight for the boat.