DE or SS? Which position needs to be addressed and how?

I don't think SS is a need as they prepared for this by drafting Duke and Meeks last year and still have Searcy who I think could easily start but they like him in the role he played last year

DE is a need though but not a huge one as they really only need a DE to play on running downs. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Lawson is moved to DE now with signing of Rivers

Edited by Max997

I haven't seen much to suggest that Duke or Meeks are going to be good - or that they'll be bad. We have so little information. I think if CBs are a strength, and DEs are a strength, these two may be able to cut it. I still get worried against the TEs of the AFCE, so I'd like to make sure their LBs can stick with these guys.

As far as SS goes, we know very little about D Williams & Meeks, and Searcy will really have to step up his game if he's going to be a starter. Duke Williams, I believe, has the most potential, but he's only in his second year. Can we expect him to be the starter this year? Searcy make me nervous, and I see him as a back-up only.

With regards to DE, I think this is a need area. We could really use more young blood on the D-Line. Kyle is over 30, and Mario & Branch are almost 30. That leaves us with Dareus as our only young starter. I see players like Stefan Charles & Corbin Bryant as back-ups. If the Bills are able to re-sign Carrington, that would be of help. But as of now we don't know if the Bills will bring back Carrington or not. One DE I really like in this draft is Stephon Tuitt from Notre Dame. If he is available when the Bills pick at 41, I would take him.

So to answer the poster's original question: I say DE needs to be addressed more than SS.

Edited by Mark Vader

Does knowing nothing about Meeks or DWilliams mean that they are unreliable? They are one year players drafted later in the draft that 20-25 years ago would not be expected to develop to NFL caliber by year 3. By that standard, even, they should not be accountable for 2014. Which is why I was wondering if we might go big and go for Roman Harper - he signed with Carolina.

I do not think DE or SS need to be addressed quickly. I am thinking we have the options there going forward to succeed. June 1st cuts will offer us a DE/DT option and SS likely, too.

Not sure what Schwartz has planned for scheme, but I don't think DE is a huge need.

Last year, Alan Branch did a good job starting as a DE on early downs. Jerry Hughes replaced him in passing situations. From what I understand, Manny Lawson will become a hybrid DE/OLB.

That's three capable starting players, with a wide range of skill sets. If Schwartz can't make it work with those guys, he needs to tweak his scheme instead of asking us to invest another draft pick in the front 7.

Safety is a need though, simply because we don't know if Da'Norris Searcy, Duke Williams or Johnathan Meeks can handle the spot. We don't want another LG situation on our hands.

I would resign Carrington and draft a SS in the middle rounds. It takes a while for DL to develop - more so for DT than DE but I still think Carrington would add more than a rookie. I would then add a safety with some size in round three or four.

my question regarding carrington is whether he is a DE or DT in this defense. i've always been intrigued by alex carrington because his size and versatility. he is a big, strong guy. but even though he was placed at a linebacker position for a while, i don't really know how fast or agile he is. seems like even though he has been on the team for quite a while, he has been bounced around so much i really don't know what position he plays or how good he is.

I don't think SS is a need as they prepared for this by drafting Duke and Meeks last year and still have Searcy who I think could easily start but they like him in the role he played last year

DE is a need though but not a huge one as they really only need a DE to play on running downs. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Lawson is moved to DE now with signing of Rivers

If you've listened to Whaley's interview the other day he stated that Lawson will be acting as a hybrid OLB/DE. He's a good edge setter, so I could see him and Jerry Hughes trading off.