Chris Williams signed

I wouldn't go to an ESPN reporter, either. They're one step below fans when it comes to player evaluation.

I wish I could agree with your point about educated and knowledgeable fans as a resource because it's usually educated and knowledgeable fans one AGREES with that are treated as resources.

GO BILLS!!!

I typically don't have trouble making the distinction between a knowledgeable fan and a "fanboy." Agreement with one's position does not equate to "knowledgeable" fan. There are plenty of educated and knowledgeable fans who are part of this community, who often have disagreements. You can dismiss the opinion of the Ram fans, that's your prerogative, but when every comment comes back negative about a said player's departure, I have to invest a level of belief in what they're saying (Aaron Maybin).

An opinion is just that - an opinion; but when all of those opinions come in on one side of the coin, I don't see how you (or anyone else) can dismiss those thoughts, or belittle the sources.

I wonder what Colts fans would've had to say about Jerry Hughes.

Probably not much, as he barely saw the field. I'm sure they were calling him a bust. The distinction here is that Chris Williams has been a regular starter, hence, his play can be evaluated fully. Aaron Maybin didn't see the field much and was called a bust as well, but when he did step on the field, unlike Jerry Hughes, he was so out of his element, a RB put him flat on his back.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was the 10th pick in the draft. He must have some talent. Best lineman ever produced by Vanderbilt. My buddy the Bears fan said they put him in at LT and he couldn't handle it. So he was labeled a failure for years. The Rams had him start 16 games, and they were not a good team. I'm gonna have to wait and see what hopefully good coaching will do for the guy. Can't be worse than the person he's replacing.

The arrogance of these PFF wannabes is astonishing.

Williams may be the worst free agent signing in the history of the game. That remains to be seen. But I can guarantee that pro personnel staff and others have seen every phuckin' snap he's taken in the NFL.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm a PFF fan...But I agree with this take 100%...No way the Bills do not do their due diligence then some...

Here's the way I view this signing...The Bills very much like Williams as a run blocking LG, and they feel through coaching they can improve his pass blocking...They see him as a vastly superior size/athleticism package to what they currently have at LG, and they do not want to Draft an OG high in 2014...They also like the fact that Williams is capable of swinging out to OT if injuries hit there...

Now...The Bills could be completely wrong about Williams...His resume thus-far is clearly under-impressive...I think if you hooked the Bills evaluators up to a lie-detector they would likely tell you Williams has to get better, especially in pass-pro...But the Bills HC is an ex NFL O-lineman, and ex NFL O-line coach...So you have to guess that if there is a single UFA the Bills leaned on their HC to evaluate, it HAD to be Williams...Marrone obviously sees something in the guy he believes will blossom in his system...We'll see if he's right...And while the contract may seem a lot based on how others evaluate Williams, it's still not a big deal in NFL terms...And it won't cost the Bills much to get out of it early if that's the way this thing goes...It was a calculated risk based on the Bills belief in the ability of their coaches to teach, and the thought that Williams was a specific fit for what they want to do... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10597325/2014-nfl-free-agency-aqib-talib-contract-early-deals-make-no-sense

Along with the Talib and D'Qwell Jackson deals, coming in at number five is the Chris Williams signing. It is an insider article so I'm sorry if anyone cannot read but I'll post the Chris Williams portion for easy-perusal. It is only an opinion and slightly mine as well, but I'm also open to seeing him try and develop. It's just difficult to argue hopeful development with his established resume of statistics. Not sure if anyone else felt as though the Bills overreached in this regard, but I would like to be convinced otherwise if possible!

"Chris Williams, OL, Buffalo Bills

Four years, $13.5 million, $5 million guaranteed

This move can only be explained as a team not actually getting around to watching the tape of the guy it is signing. I'm not just talking about his 2013 tape either; you could throw in pretty much any tape of Williams since coming into the league, and you would come away convinced that there is a better option available.

Williams is a former first-round pick, however, and has name recognition, which apparently is worth enough to outweigh the 41 total pressures he surrendered last season playing guard for the Rams, a figure that was seventh-worst in the league among guards. Only one of those players surrendered pressure at a worse rate per snap in pass protection than Williams. Somehow, the Bills thought that Williams was worth signing to a four-year contract."

-Sam Monson, Pro Football Focus

The biggest problem is he makes 1.5 mill to 2.5 a season and people act like the Bills broke the bank.

I don't get it.

It's a really cheap contract.

The 3.5 mil signing bonus is the head scratcher.

I'm a PFF fan...But I agree with this take 100%...No way the Bills do not do their due diligence then some...

Here's the way I view this signing...The Bills very much like Williams as a run blocking LG, and they feel through coaching they can improve his pass blocking...They see him as a vastly superior size/athleticism package to what they currently have at LG, and they do not want to Draft an OG high in 2014...They also like the fact that Williams is capable of swinging out to OT if injuries hit there...

Now...The Bills could be completely wrong about Williams...His resume thus-far is clearly under-impressive...I think if you hooked the Bills evaluators up to a lie-detector they would likely tell you Williams has to get better, especially in pass-pro...But the Bills HC is an ex NFL O-lineman, and ex NFL O-line coach...So you have to guess that if there is a single UFA the Bills leaned on their HC to evaluate, it HAD to be Williams...Marrone obviously sees something in the guy he believes will blossom in his system...We'll see if he's right...And while the contract may seem a lot based on how others evaluate Williams, it's still not a big deal in NFL terms...And it won't cost the Bills much to get out of it early if that's the way this thing goes...It was a calculated risk based on the Bills belief in the ability of their coaches to teach, and the thought that Williams was a specific fit for what they want to do... B-)

With all due respect to Olin Kreutz, it's safe to say that Cordy Glenn and Eric Wood are the best two players he will have played between at the same time.

His contract is decent backup money.

GO BILLS!!!

With all due respect to Olin Kreutz, it's safe to say that Cordy Glenn and Eric Wood are the best two players he will have played between at the same time.

Another good point... :thumbsup:

Not sure if this article has been linked yet...But there's always two sides to every story... http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-10-17/sports/ct-spt-1018-bears-pompei-chicago--20121018_1_chris-williams-tackle-j-marcus-webb

Edited by KOKBILLS

I am frustrated by this signing because it's all about value. If only the contract were a bit lower it would make sense to take a flyer on Williams. With the contract they gave him they will start him if only to justify their commitment. He'll have to play absolutely awful or get hurt not to start. Likely he'll be another below average stop gap they will pretend is performing well enough. I know that's a little pessimistic but that's not just a Bills scenario. I wish they would have spent just a bit more and got someone who is more likely to build a stronger line. Someone as good as Levitre at least. I guess this will show just how good the Bills OLine coaching is!

I'm starting to think that the ultimate objective at OBD is just to eeek their way into a wildcard spot and that they realize that starting rookies at 2-3 positions......like they did a lot last year.......isn't going to get that done. These guys they are signing......they are ALL stopgaps. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if none of them were on the team in 2015. I think they could have gotten better players and subsequently better value for their money......Williams in particular has the look of dead money walking........but maybe they want to fill the holes at OG/LB/CB/ST and then let the draft come to them instead of doing their usual and going into the draft having to mend numerous positions that they had left themselves woefully thin at (like WR in last years draft).

I'm starting to think that the ultimate objective at OBD is just to eeek their way into a wildcard spot and that they realize that starting rookies at 2-3 positions......like they did a lot last year.......isn't going to get that done. These guys they are signing......they are ALL stopgaps. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if none of them were on the team in 2015. I think they could have gotten better players and subsequently better value for their money......Williams in particular has the look of dead money walking........but maybe they want to fill the holes at OG/LB/CB/ST and then let the draft come to them instead of doing their usual and going into the draft having to mend numerous positions that they had left themselves woefully thin at (like WR in last years draft).

With a lot of teams you may be right...But this is the Bills and they are dealing with a 14 year playoff drought and the fact that the team is based in WNY...They are the opposite of a preferred NFL destination, and they are going to have to overpay a little to get what they need...That's just the way it is right now...One playoff year will change that quickly...So I don't mind the strategy whatsoever... B-)