Chris Williams signed

I bet you would rather let the same guys from last year play guard..

im saying what we did wasnt far removed from giving one of them a big raise and saying maybe they will be better this time.... and id rather go get a real guard since we are nowhere near strapped for money.

Lots of assumptions there....

1) we gave him a contract that amounts to 2 years guaranteed and not at backup money

2) its at a higher rate of pay than his 1 year deal last year

that we seem to expect him to either start, or play very regularly at 3m+ and that almost 2 years of that is guaranteed isnt going far out on the limb. we gave the guy a raise and committed to him for more than a year - something no other GM wanted to do last year. he didnt seem to have a stellar season, unless you can find ANYONE outside this thread saying he was even decent, yet alone good.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hed have to seemingly play a good bit better to get to serviceable, yet alone good though. thats the frustration. we have the money to go get a GOOD player and see if he plays GREAT between our C and LT. Last year we opted to roll with legursky instead (who may have had a better resume in the NFL at that point).

if we spend to the cap elsewhere, cool, but itd surprise me at this point.... especially at a position weve waited a year to find an answer at, its frustrating to be told wait and see again, when there have been about 10 other candidates that wouldve made us comfortable without hurting our cap at all.

Yep. This one's a bit frustrating, but I'd like to take an OG in rd1 or rd3, so I'll continue to hope for that. I DO like that they signed someone, but I don't like hoping for an elevation in performance from the get go.

Here's to assumptions and polian being spot on.

im saying what we did wasnt far removed from giving one of them a big raise and saying maybe they will be better this time.... and id rather go get a real guard since we are nowhere near strapped for money.

Some sources outside of the Bills organization have him rated as one of the better available.

Or perhaps Jeffrey Littman thought so and coach had no choice.

Do you really think Jeff Littman called Doug Whaley and suggested they sign Doug Legursky? Read that sentence and think about it.

Doug Whaley had a hell of a first year as our GM but he did have two blemishes. Colin Brown and Doug Legursky.

I didn't literally mean Littman chose Legursky lol, more like he sets a budget and the Dougs have to work within his parameters.

There most definitely may be truth to that. I thought that you were insinuating Littman is picking reserves OL reserves for Whaley. The myth of Mr. Littman would have grown to new levels lol.

edit: basic grammar skills elude me today

Edited by stony

Doug Whaley had a hell of a first year as our GM but he did have two blemishes. Colin Brown and Doug Legursky.

Great point!! just because he missed on those guards doesent mean he missed on this one. One thing for sure we will know by the end of preseason. If they dont bring in so more new talent to compete for the roster spots on the line I will be disappointed.

1) we gave him a contract that amounts to 2 years guaranteed and not at backup money

that we seem to expect him to either start, or play very regularly at 3m+ and that almost 2 years of that is guaranteed isnt going far out on the limb. we gave the guy a raise and committed to him for more than a year - something no other GM wanted to do last year. he didnt seem to have a stellar season, unless you can find ANYONE outside this thread saying he was even decent, yet alone good.

This signing has that "Robert Royal" feel to it. Royal was totally under the skin of Washington DC.....to the point where the team announcers were angrily critical of his stone hands in game(a great NFL films clip, by the way)...........and yet the Bills signed him to be their starting TE thinking that THEY could exorcize the Jane out of that Tarzan body. I'm not saying they can't do that with Williams....I don't know........but the Bills have a history of paying guys like this on their potential and it really hasn't been a very good one. This isn't like the Lawson or Branch signings......they were solid players. Williams has excellent tools for the job but has been a HUGE disappointment.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

his name is dopey . You didnt notice that ?

And he is one of us so..

be nice.

In regard to the signing, if the Bills see something in him i am fine with that. Seems to be a starter and is can be moved. We really need that with Hairston being a question.

He has lots of NFL exp. The rams line allowed very few sacks. we need that.

And as mentioned he will be enjoying an upgrade being on the Bills line. A surrounding cast makes a difference.

He might become a very solid fit.

Im giving him a vote of confidence just because there is no way in hell, Marrone allows his LG to perform as last years effort. He has egg on his face and he and Whaley know it. Fans kinda took offense too :sick:

Patience people .

I swear when I posted this no one else had posted anything about the actual signing. Oh well! I need a :beer: or :beer: :beer:

Definitely possible, NoSaint, but I looked at it as there were other teams looking to sign the guy so they paid him what they needed to in order to get him here. Which still looks like peanuts compared to what other guys were getting yesterday. Not that they are done with the OL or that he wouldn't need to earn the starting job.

You believe Whaley had liscense to use the entire cap if he wanted to?

He does--I'll say that it's unlikely he'll use it as it doesn't jive with his philosophy of building through the draft and adding only mid-tier FAs.

However, if he wanted to go money crazy, yes, he has the freedom to do so.

I know it was said before, but Bill Polian had him rated pretty high. One slot about Jairus Byrd in fact. Now, he may be wrong or me he be right, but the guy put together three separate teams that went to Super Bowls. He knows a thing or two about putting a team together.

This signing has that "Robert Royal" feel to it. Royal was totally under the skin of Washington DC.....to the point where the team announcers were angrily critical of his stone hands in game(a great NFL films clip, by the way)...........and yet the Bills signed him to be their starting TE thinking that THEY could exorcize the Jane out of that Tarzan body. I'm not saying they can't do that with Williams....I don't know........but the Bills have a history of paying guys like this on their potential and it really hasn't been a very good one. This isn't like the Lawson or Branch signings......they were solid players. Williams has excellent tools for the job but has been a HUGE disappointment.

Robert Royal had many big plays in Ralph Wilson Stadium. My favorite was the 30yd seam route he ran, beautifully I might add, shook his coverage and found himself wide open between the two safeties (Wilson and Whitner) by 15yds only to drop the pass.

If one play ever summed up an entire game, it was that drop during the infamous 6-3 shootout against the Browns.