The new Buffalo Bills secondary

The last couple days with it becoming an official reality of Byrd no longer playing here and the subsequent addition of Corey Graham, all sorts of scenarios on what we might see on the field in 2014 have been going through my mind (with the draft still to come). This article, plus the fact that the Bills will see some very big WRs this year in the NFC North like Megatron, Jeffery, Marshall, plus Josh Gordon and Andre Johnson in the AFC amongst others, that Graham is exactly what we needed. I am not sure we know what to expect based on what Schwartz has done in the past because he has completely different personnel here, we have key pieces added and gone from last year, and he has said he will change some things and not others. I think it is hard to put a label on a defense anymore, like Schwartz runs a 4-3 or wide 9 but in his intro presser he said something along the lines of "well, everyone runs some version of the wide 9 at times, based on situation." He is a film junkie and brilliant guy, it seems, who I think will be a bit inventive with some of the talent in the secondary. I sense the sub-packages will be very interesting to watch. While I first thought Graham was a luxury as we already have Gilmore, McK and Robey, I now think he was a necessity. Replacing Byrd is important... but having AW and good corners helps a lot.

SB Nation NFL@SBNationNFL 12m

Nickel & dimed ... @FieldGulls on the role defensive subpackages are having on the NFL http://www.sbnation....l-dime …

Edited by YoloinOhio

Great take. I'd also like to think about the fact that Schwartz has a familiarity with the NFC north coaching the Lions for a few years. I'm sure he knows how to defend against these teams and now he can concentrate on just the defensive side of the ball.

I'm feeling more and more confident about this year.

Great take. I'd also like to think about the fact that Schwartz has a familiarity with the NFC north coaching the Lions for a few years. I'm sure he knows how to defend against these teams and now he can concentrate on just the defensive side of the ball.

I'm feeling more and more confident about this year.

Having Byrd back there with everyone else would be filthy, but if that had happened we may not have gotten Graham and settled for the cheaper Carroll, who was not as good and without the ST strength. The slot is such a key role now you have Robey in some situations and then Graham in others. In a passing league, I like the way our secondary is shaping up especially if Duke emerges. Edited by YoloinOhio

i think this is required reading for the people freaking out about whether we'll be 4-3 or 3-4. the difference is slowly fading when you have to take guys out to run nickel and dime packages in the pass happy league.

This should be a default TBD announcement when ever anyone starts a thread worrying about 3-4/4-3 stuff, not that this was the case. The Bills secondary is far from mortally wounded at this point. This is shaping up to be a secondary with a little more size and man coverage ability than last year. I dig it.

This should be a default TBD announcement when ever anyone starts a thread worrying about 3-4/4-3 stuff, not that this was the case. The Bills secondary is far from mortally wounded at this point. This is shaping up to be a secondary with a little more size and man coverage ability than last year. I dig it.

I agree. I love our depth at CB for the first time I can remember. Losing Byrd has hurt, but we don't know what Duke and Meeks can do yet and there's always the chance the Bills look to fix the problem in the draft. The Saints were an expected landing place for Haha Dix, so Pryor could slip to round 2.

Given the fact that Byrd's picks were mostly against lesser QB's (except Rothlisberger), the secondary won't be as bad off as some think it will. Yes he will be missed, but the defense overall will continue to progress with or without him. I'd still love to see Mack fall to #9 and we get him, but if not, OL and a #1 receiver are still the priorities for the draft.

Given the fact that Byrd's picks were mostly against lesser QB's (except Rothlisberger), the secondary won't be as bad off as some think it will. Yes he will be missed, but the defense overall will continue to progress with or without him. I'd still love to see Mack fall to #9 and we get him, but if not, OL and a #1 receiver are still the priorities for the draft.

Nothing against Byrd but the wind at the Ketchup Bottle that day was unreal. He should have had more than one pick, really.