Do you think Scott Norwood

Like A Mofo

A. If he had missed a SB winning kick for a media darling team like Dallas, San Francisco, New York, Green Bay etc.?

B. The media didnt like making fun of Buffalo so much (a city and area that I love)

Sometimes I am just sick and tired of hearing people bring up Norwood the way they do, the dude was a very good kicker, and so many like to joke about him, it downright aggrevates me....when the Pats win a SB, its a team game, but single out Norwood for the SB loss...Im tired of the double-standard with some people.

Thoughts?

A.  If he had missed a SB winning kick for a media darling team like Dallas, San Francisco, New York, Green Bay etc.?

B.  The media didnt like making fun of Buffalo so much (a city and area that I love)

Sometimes I am just sick and tired of hearing people bring up Norwood the way they do, the dude was a very good kicker, and so many like to joke about him, it downright aggrevates me....when the Pats win a SB, its a team game, but single out Norwood for the SB loss...Im tired of the double-standard with some people.

Thoughts?

214383[/snapback]

You first have to ask yourself WHY does everyone make such a big deal out of it, and I think the answer is quite simply this: Other than SB XXIII, when Montana won the game on a 92-yard drive and a 10-yard TD pass to Taylor with 34 seconds remaining, look at the other Super Bowl blowouts for the previous six years:

XXII Jan. 31, 1988 Washington 42, Denver 10

XXI Jan. 25, 1987 N.Y. Giants 39, Denver 20

XX Jan. 26, 1986 Chicago 46, New England 10

XIX Jan. 20, 1985 San Francisco 38, Miami 16

XVIII Jan. 22, 1984 L.A. Raiders 38, Washington 9

XVII Jan. 30, 1983 Washington 27, Miami 17

Had Taylor dropped that pass from Montana, he'd be hanging out with Norwood right now. But people were so accustomed to blowouts, that having a game end on a field goal was all but unheard of back then. It was, without question, the ultimate crunch kick.

Why people wallow in it is beyond me. Our team made history back then, and I tend to be proud of what they accomplished rather than live in the whatcouldabeens. I would go so far as to say "We should get over it because Norwood did," but apparently Norwood was lying when he said he was over it.

A.  If he had missed a SB winning kick for a media darling team like Dallas, San Francisco, New York, Green Bay etc.?

B.  The media didnt like making fun of Buffalo so much (a city and area that I love)

Thoughts?

214383[/snapback]

Yes.

The inferiority complex that some Bills fans have is unbelievable.

Thoughts?

214383[/snapback]

I don't have any any ill feelings towards Scott. I had absolutely no belief that he would make the kick. It rates as the all time pressure-you-must-produce-on-this-play failure in sports history.

I blame Marv and his dopey DC for putting Scott in that predicament.

I don't have any any ill feelings towards Scott.  I had absolutely no belief that he would make the kick.  It rates as the all time pressure-you-must-produce-on-this-play failure in sports history.

I blame Marv and his dopey DC for putting Scott in that predicament.

214435[/snapback]

I guess deep down I didn't believe either. Thanks for pointing that out to me after all these years. He didn't miss by much though..... :blink:

I remember that our cable got knocked out during the 4th Quarter, and we had to listen to the game on the radio.

That play took forever, and it was so hard to stomach. But I didn't see the kick that night, so I really don't remember it on the same level.

I remember that our cable got knocked out during the 4th Quarter, and we had to listen to the game on the radio.

That play took forever, and it was so hard to stomach.  But I didn't see the kick that night, so I really don't remember it on the same level.

214445[/snapback]

It was awful - I remember kneeling on the floor in front of the TV, praying to GOD with my brother for this one small favor....and my father running back and forth down the hall behind the living room wailing, "he can't make it....he'll never make it...hes going to shank it!!!!"

All this while Parcells iced Norwood - it was like an eternity and I thought my head would explode

The worst experience I have ever had as a fan - the Music City Miracle and Keith Smarts jumper against 'Cuse in 87 were bad too, but nothing like SB 25

Until we win a freakin Super Bowl I will be tormented.  Not by an inferiority complex, but by the perception of the general public that we choked 4 straight times..... :blink:

214433[/snapback]

See, you're looking at it all wrong. Call it what you want: we choked, whatever... But anytime people will give me crap about it, I always ask them two questions. "Who is your team," and if they have a team and they're a pretty solid fan, I ask them, "Would you not like to have four straight full blown seasons like that? Four straight times we got to run through the seasons, the playoffs...memorable playoffs the likes of which people will maybe never see again...and into the Super Bowl while almost every other team was home???

I'd take it all day long over not going at all.

And who else has done it four straight times? No a soul. And what have you to show for it: Marv Levy - Hall of Fame, Jim Kelly - Hall of Fame. You think they put them in because they felt SORRY for them? Fug no. They deserved it. Any fan who busts your balls about losing four straight Super Bowls is full of crap and has no respect for the game. Even the ones who won the fuggin Super Bowl.

Alternately, if I ask them "Who is your team," and they really don't have a team, then I tell them to go fug themselves.

See, you're looking at it all wrong. Call it what you want: we choked, whatever... But anytime people will give me crap about it, I always ask them two questions. "Who is your team," and if they have a team and they're a pretty solid fan, I ask them, "Would you not like to have four straight full blown seasons like that? Four straight times we got to run through the seasons, the playoffs...memorable playoffs the likes of which people will maybe never see again...and into the Super Bowl while almost every other team was home???

And who else has done it four straight times? No a soul. And what have you to show for it: Marv Levy - Hall of Fame, Jim Kelly - Hall of Fame. You think they put them in because they felt SORRY for them? Fug no. They deserved it. Any fan who busts your balls about losing four straight Super Bowls is full of crap and has no respect for the game. Even the ones who won the fuggin Super Bowl.

Alternately, if I ask them "Who is your team," and they really don't have a team, then I tell them to go fug themselves.

214449[/snapback]

it keeps the bandwagon fans away. If you see someone sporting a Bills hat or jersey they are a legit fan

214449[/snapback]

4 straight AFC Championships in the midst of Marino's and Elway's and Moon's careers. Enough said.

Any of you real old-timers who remember the days of the AFL probably appreciate that fact more than us young'uns.