I'm mad as hell & I'm not gonna take it any more!

Virgil

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't know how the Byrd money will be spent so that's an incomplete. I said above that I thougt that Lynch was a mistake but they had Freddie and drafted Spiller. Getting rid of Marshawn was not necessarily the wrong decision but getting junk for him was. They got a 1st round pick for Peters. That's good value even though Peters is certainly elite.

Your point is well taken but I believe that the drafting has been good the last few years. The real question mark is QB. If he can't play nothing else really matters.

For all we know they spent what they felt when Aaron Williams amazingly signed a deal right after Byrd was permitted to test UFA. The inbound UFA's appear to be Legursky-esque type signings where the player could be had far down the road.

The new narrative seems to be that we can excuse Byrd leaving because it's the QB that matters most and we're waiting to see if Buffalo has one. It's a nice conflation. Then again, Peyton Manning isn't winning titles himself even in an offensive dominated league, which by the way, is predicated on passing the ball. It's why New Orleans has prioritized getting guys who can combat the aerial nature of the game.

Edited by BillsVet

You're horribly mis-reading me. I don't defend OBD unless I think they're being unjustly criticized. I wanted Byrd tagged, as I've said MANY times. I also don't think he's worth paying $9M/year, just as I didn't think Levitre was worth paying $8M/year.

I'm not sure why you think it's (a) correct, (b) appropriate, or © justifiable to do amateur psychology on a message board, but hey, there's a lot of things I don't understand around here.

To add to your point Bandit every decision needs to be judged independently and after we see what's done. They all tie together. Paying Byrd $9M wouldn't have been a good decision IMO. That is assuming that $9m is used for Strief and Spikes for example. Trading back & picking up Kiko was a good decision. There are a million examples of good and bad decisions. We should avoid absolutes. They don't ALWAYS make good or bad decisions. Each move has its own story, it's own reason, it's own piece of the puzzle and ultimately it's own grade.

For all we know they spent what they felt when Aaron Williams amazing signed a deal right after Byrd was permitted to test UFA. The inbound UFA's appear to be Legursky-esque type signings where the player could be had far down the road.

The new narrative seems to be that we can excuse Byrd leaving because it's the QB is what matters most and we're waiting to see if Buffalo has one. It's a nice conflation. Then again, Peyton Manning isn't winning titles himself even in an offensive dominated league, which by the way, is predicated on passing the ball. It's why New Orleans has prioritized getting guys who can combat the aerial nature of the game.

I don't disagree. The point that I was unsuccessfully trying to make is that outside of QB it doesn't matter how good a particular player is, it matters how good a roster is. JJ Watt, Calvin Johnson and Peterson are all playing for teams picking in the top 10. If losing a great player in Byrd means that you fill other holes and the roster improves you are better off. That remains to be seen.

The way that I look at it is which roster is better: Byrd, Pears & Bradham or Duke Williams, Strief and Spikes? Byrd is the best player of the group but I am not sure that his group would be better.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I love these threads, as if there is a move the Bills can make that whiners won't complain about.

Can I ask you, why the FO should not be "Complained about"

The BIlls are the butt of every joke.

Everytime I say im a Bills fan, other teams fans apologize to me.

But lets continue to just keep applauding their efforts.

I'll write this one more time: If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

Don't you wish you owned a company that made millions for putting a simply awful product on the market year after year?

Do you mean a company like Microsoft?

I love these threads, as if there is a move the Bills can make that whiners won't complain about.

How about a move into the playoffs? It goes both ways. I could just as easily say is there any non move or loss the homers won't defend? Except the Bills have not been to the playoffs in 14 years and 6-10 has been pretty much the standard. So the "whiners" as you call them actually have a lot more ground to stand on than the homers. Keep drinking the Kool - Aid though.

@Kirby Jackson, you're right on multiple fronts. It's so much fun reading comments from arm chair chicken littles about how the sky is falling because our team didn't sign this player or that player to some huge deal. A team will never be made and be successful by one player. We love to praise the Patriots for how well they're managed, but outside of Tom Brady, how many guys do they have that have claimed 3 rings will be going to the HOF? McGinnis, Bruschi, Vrabel, Seymour, Law, Samuel, Harrison, and I'm sure there's others I've forgotten; are all good players. They're not individually though even close to the best at their position. Tell me how many Superbowls the Jets have been to with arguably one of the best cornerbacks in our generation on the roster. Now tell me how many more games that Tampa Bay won than they otherwise would have without him last year. Byrd, Levitre, Poz are all in the same boat for me. Just not critical to team success and certainly not so from a $$ perspective. I would honestly rather have two safeties of Aaron Wiliams caliber than one of Byrd's, and that's about what it comes down to.

@Kirby Jackson, you're right on multiple fronts. It's so much fun reading comments from arm chair chicken littles about how the sky is falling because our team didn't sign this player or that player to some huge deal. A team will never be made and be successful by one player. We love to praise the Patriots for how well they're managed, but outside of Tom Brady, how many guys do they have that have claimed 3 rings will be going to the HOF? McGinnis, Bruschi, Vrabel, Seymour, Law, Samuel, Harrison, and I'm sure there's others I've forgotten; are all good players. They're not individually though even close to the best at their position. Tell me how many Superbowls the Jets have been to with arguably one of the best cornerbacks in our generation on the roster. Now tell me how many more games that Tampa Bay won than they otherwise would have without him last year. Byrd, Levitre, Poz are all in the same boat for me. Just not critical to team success and certainly not so from a $$ perspective. I would honestly rather have two safeties of Aaron Wiliams caliber than one of Byrd's, and that's about what it comes down to.

How many teams have not even been to the playoffs in the last 15 years?

This team is, and has been disfunctional. its the same old story year after year. End of story

This organization takes a step forward two steps back ALL THE TIME. :wallbash:They make you fell good about dropping the T.O. series, then they lose an Pro- Bowl safety.

When will it end???

When the Bills have a top 5-10 QB. Everything else is window dressing.

It will be interesting to see how the "team unity" aspect plays out with the Bills and Saints teams this year. The Bills obviously did not want to have an all-pro disgruntled player here. They could have slapped the tag on him and they chose not to. We'll see how that decision plays out. As for the Saints, I have a feeling they are going to have to contend with resentment and discord from some players remaining who feel they are underpaid or that they let too many of their buddies go to pay for Brees and the new comer Byrd. I'm sure Graham is very ticked off that they gave Byrd that huge contract and yet could not do the same for their own who has greatly helped in keeping them contenders.

Edited by 1billsfan

How many teams have not even been to the playoffs in the last 15 years?

This team is, and has been disfunctional. its the same old story year after year. End of story

Plenty of teams have long active playoff droughts. Sure Buffalo's is the longest (since 1999), but picking a number is just picking a number (i.e. 15 years). Let's add the Raiders and Browns since 2002. Let's also add the Rams since 2004, and the Bucs and Jaguars since 2007. Looking at any of these teams and the reason why, you won't find that it's because they let a safety go between seasons. It comes down to poor quarterback play. PS - since their respective playoff appearances, all of those 5 teams have a lower winning percentage than even the Bills. End of story.

Plenty of teams have long active playoff droughts. Sure Buffalo's is the longest (since 1999), but picking a number is just picking a number (i.e. 15 years). Let's add the Raiders and Browns since 2002. Let's also add the Rams since 2004, and the Bucs and Jaguars since 2007. Looking at any of these teams and the reason why, you won't find that it's because they let a safety go between seasons. It comes down to poor quarterback play. PS - since their respective playoff appearances, all of those 5 teams have a lower winning percentage than even the Bills. End of story.

Not being the worst is acceptable consolation? If that's the bar, it's set pretty low.