Forbes: America's Most Affordable City is Buffalo

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love it! LoL... Ha: "Soccer is Great" thread.

Yeah, you are right. What happened? One of the last posts had to be my wise crack about moving it to the soccer forum. Did they move it there?... I know there is no soccer forum. :D

Here I am wise cracking w/bbb again... Watch, we here in Chicago will be frozen in till April!

Please... Oh Snow Gods... Make it stop, I am just a wise cracking, simple man, trying to feed his family! :D

You WERE the last one to post. I had an email that you posted and I hit the link and it said ERROR. That's frustrating!

Well, you've gone and done it - #buffaloblizzard2 is in full force! Thunder and lightning earlier just to throw it all in there!

You WERE the last one to post. I had an email that you posted and I hit the link and it said ERROR. That's frustrating!

Well, you've gone and done it - #buffaloblizzard2 is in full force! Thunder and lightning earlier just to throw it all in there!

LoL... All I said was: "Hey! Take it to the soccer forum, this is OTW!" Or something like that... LoL

Yeah, I thought I was seeing things last night. There was some flashes of lightning and some thunder when it was just starting to change to snow... Pretty wild. My son asked: "Hey is that lightning!" I am like, I guess it is.

Things have been looking up for jobs lately. The IBM announcement a week or two ago. All the medical corridor stuff, etc. Seeing cranes downtown is pretty cool!

I know a guy who specialized in Real Estate Investment Trusts. He says when you start to see lots of cranes it's time to sell. :lol:

I'm considering more tax friendly areas. When you can reduce your tax burden by 10% right off the top and then in other areas (such as property taxes) NYS is not even close to being an option.

Oh and BTW your wife is much nicer than mine. At least yours laughed when you brought it up.

Define a tax friendly area. I am looking at South Carolina and will be there next week scouting some properties (Myrtle Beach and Columbia). We may also take look in Savannah (Georgia) and Charleston, SC.

I'm considering more tax friendly areas. When you can reduce your tax burden by 10% right off the top and then in other areas (such as property taxes) NYS is not even close to being an option.

Oh and BTW your wife is much nicer than mine. At least yours laughed when you brought it up.

Per Kiplinger - Least tax-friendly states:

1. California

2. Connecticut

3. New Jersey

4. New York - my combined Town/County/School tax alone is almost $6,000

Most tax-friendly states (for retirees):

1. Alaska

2. Wyoming

3.Georgia

4. Arizona

Define a tax friendly area. I am looking at South Carolina and will be there next week scouting some properties (Myrtle Beach and Columbia). We may also take look in Savannah (Georgia) and Charleston, SC.

I first look at state income tax. That is something I have no control over. They just take that off the top. Then you need to look at property taxes that is one you don't have a ton of control over but you can reduce it by downsizing. Then you look at sales tax. This one you can control a bit more. Sure you have to buy **** but you can control your spending. Then I look at weather. ****ty weather can be very taxing. :D So where is this low cost utopia? I don't know I haven't looked that closely yet. Retirement is 5-8 years away.

Like the smell of paper mills? Then you'll LOVE Savannah. Beautiful city but GAWD in the summer it stinks.

I know a guy who specialized in Real Estate Investment Trusts. He says when you start to see lots of cranes it's time to sell. :lol:

I can believe that. I went to Phoenix in 2006. Cranes all over. Every one of the locals I talked to where bragging about how valuable their property had become. Well we all know how that worked out.

I would consider it seeing I'm getting older and all my family is there and I've been gone over 30 years. But I'd have to dump the wife first. :lol:

I had the same excuse the last 12 years....not so anymore... :cry: Now I am just an utterless ship!

Memphis @ #2 tells you all you need to know about the #1 City. Memphis is a pure hell hole that should be completely burned down and rebuilt -yesterday!.

A little harsh perhaps but yeah Memphis is pretty rough. My company has an office in Memphis and I've spend more than a few nights there over the years. Beale st is cool, and yes there is great BBQ, but man there are some awful areas. Yes I know all big cities/metro areas have their own blemishes but for me Memphis, Gary, Detroit (and a handfull of other Michigan cities) are the pits.

Per Kiplinger - Least tax-friendly states:

1. California

2. Connecticut

3. New Jersey

4. New York - my combined Town/County/School tax alone is almost $6,000

Most tax-friendly states (for retirees):

1. Alaska

2. Wyoming

3.Georgia

4. Arizona

Yet... In Will County, Illinois... My combined tax bill is also 6k (5,900). On a 150k house.

Edit: In NYS, do you get garbage included in your tax bill... Here is a separate bill, private contractor.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

You've got to question an article that states the Buffalo is the most affordable city in the US and finish the article with this:

"

That quote is pitched at employers (i.e., cheap labor costs). Sounds like a planted "story" by the Buffalo Niagara Enterprise, actually.

Earnings comparisons are really meaningless anyway, since they're based on averages and not position-specific. Cities with more headquarters personnel (translated "not Buffalo") have higher paid managers / senior staff etc that inflate their mean salary numbers. Hence, apples to pears to Buffalo...