Forbes: America's Most Affordable City is Buffalo

Four !@#$ing percent?? That's absurd. I pay $7200 on a $500k house.

Yep... But Illinois isn't even in the worst taxed states.

Actually, if I moved my house 1 mile north into Cook County (Chicago... Will is Joliet), my property tax rate would go down in half! Cook, I think is the only county in Illinois that asseses differently between business and residential. Will, I think is 33.33% across the board between the two... Or something like that.

EDIT: From 2009-- http://cookcountyblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/watch-out-big-property-tax-bill-coming.html?m=1

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like the smell of paper mills? Then you'll LOVE Savannah. Beautiful city but GAWD in the summer it stinks.

Yep. Can't forget about the Sand Flies a/k/a "No See Um's", either. Those little bastards are so small they can fit through a screen.

I pay $5500 on a 79k house. Damn Cheektowaga.

Damn! What's included in the tax bill that they don't include in other areas? Is garbage pick-up a separate bill? Even so, that is only about 400 bucks a year. What's the water bill for a family of 4? How good do they keep the streets? Does snow a lot up there. (as I duck... LoL)

Damn! What's included in the tax bill that they don't include in other areas? Is garbage pick-up a separate bill? Even so, that is only about 400 bucks a year. What's the water bill for a family of 4? How good do they keep the streets? Does snow a lot up there. (as I duck... LoL)

school taxes along with garbage and recycling pick up is included. Water I couldn't tell you I've never had a family of 4 there. For 2 it's cheap. It snows a ton there. It's in the snow belt actually. The street cleanup and the area isn't the best actually. Could definately be better.

Part of the reason why it's so expensive is because it's a duplex. So I'm technically paying for taxes on 2 units. But at the end of the day, it's only a 79k home.

I don't live there anymore. Just rent it out.

school taxes along with garbage and recycling pick up is included. Water I couldn't tell you I've never had a family of 4 there. For 2 it's cheap. It snows a ton there. It's in the snow belt actually. The street cleanup and the area isn't the best actually. Could definately be better.

Part of the reason why it's so expensive is because it's a duplex. So I'm technically paying for taxes on 2 units. But at the end of the day, it's only a 79k home.

I don't live there anymore. Just rent it out.

I was joking about the snow... I was born and raised in S.Cheektowaga(W.Seneca Schools)... My mother grew-up and lived on Edmund Street off of William, parents got married @ St. Josaphat's, etc... That's a stone's throw from your rental, right... :D

and exactly... Could be sending two families of children to school.

I would consider it seeing I'm getting older and all my family is there and I've been gone over 30 years. But I'd have to dump the wife first. :lol:

Here you go Chef... Do it here:

Idaho

There's a small part of Yellowstone Park in which you might not be able to be convicted for a crime.

r-155602887-large570.jpg

Due to a potential legal loophole, it may be impossible to convict people of any crime that happens within a 50-square mile area around the Idaho parts of Yellowstone Park. This is due to how trial laws are written in that an accused culprit has the right to be tried by a jury from the district and state in which they're arrested. Since there's a population of zero in this small area of Idaho that's in the legal jurisdiction of a district in Wyoming, the trial may have to be forfeited.

Then again... She might get to you first! :D

I'm in the same boat as far as that goes. Maybe I'm just overly nostalgic, but if it were up to me and I could find something that paid me a livable wage I'd pack up in a heartbeat.

The only way I'd make it happen would be a nice summer home on one if the Finger Lakes with a sailboat and winter someplace warm. But the whole tax thing again would be a hard pill to swallow. I'd make my primary home in the tax friendly state but those property taxes are a killer.

I had to move away. Entry level wages out of college were too low. Couldnt get ahead.

Got some experience and lived elsewhere... and was able to move back for a decent job after 8 years.

The prices here are laughable, even including taxes. I have friends who recently moved back as well and brought spouses who never lived here. Unanimously they are in love with the area and in shock at the cost of, say going out for dinner/lunch. Even after a year or 2 living here. Coming from a place like the Mid Atlantic area, and being able to easily afford a decent sized house on the water with a dock... especially since you are still in civilization... is great.

I was joking about the snow... I was born and raised in S.Cheektowaga(W.Seneca Schools)... My mother grew-up and lived on Edmund Street off of William, parents got married @ St. Josaphat's, etc... That's a stone's throw from your rental, right... :D

and exactly... Could be sending two families of children to school.

yeah. No crap. How'd you know where my rental is??? Are you stalking me?

It's right on Patricia behind the old orphanage that burned down.

Back on the singles scene, huh? I think you're better off staying in TX for that. Have fun!

I haven't yet been able to find the silver lining in this...

Unfortunatley, when you are pushing 50 and single, everyone assumes you are gay, creepy, or both.

Edited by Buftex

yeah. No crap. How'd you know where my rental is??? Are you stalking me?

It's right on Patricia behind the old orphanage that burned down.

Because you mentioned it when you were looking for tenants in a thread of yours! We got started on the orphange thing... LoL...

You getting "senior moments." ;-)