LaMarr Woodley Released By Pitt- Does Whaley Go After Him?

H2o

Steelers will release OLB LaMarr Woodley.

He'll be designated as a post-June 1 release, allowing the Steelers to spread out his $14.17 million in dead money over the next two seasons. The team won't see any salary-cap savings until June 2. Woodley's release was a fait accompli after the Steelers re-signed OLB Jason Worilds. Woodley still has some juice left as a pass rusher, but has become increasingly injury prone, and will turn 30 in November. He'll draw interest as a situational pass rusher for 3-4 teams.

He was in Pittsburgh when Woodley was drafted. Does Whaley try to land a guy that he could've been in on Pittsburgh selecting?

Edited by H2o

Tough to call on this one.

Woodley would be a good addition, but his injury history is a concern and he's 30.

While Jerry Hughes does a good job of rushing the passer, he is also entering the final year of his contract.

I'd take a look at Woodley, but I would understand if we didn't sign him.

It would not surprise me. Add some depth to that position. Woodley can still play when not hurt. Has more of a track record of success than any LB we currently have. http://espn.go.com/n.../lamarr-woodley

Hughes last season put up the same numbers Woodley did in 2010 when he was still in his prime. There are countless positions that can be addressed where starters are actually needed as opposed to depth. We need LG, MLB, FS and TE.

weren't we shamed into believing Pittsburgh doesn't let its homegrown talent walk?

In their defense, the steelers did pay the man back in 2011 and never got the return on that particular investment due to injuries..but pay him they did.

Steelers got the most out of Woodley's career and rightfully cut him now.

1. Woodley is washed up and at best would shoudl get a veteran minimum contract perhaps with incentives

2. Pittsburgh does let their veterans walk. Like any team with a big contract at QB they have faced salary cap issues. They just however resigned Heath Miller and Polamalu for contract extensions that reduce their cap numbers.

In their defense, the steelers did pay the man back in 2011 and never got the return on that particular investment due to injuries..but pay him they did.

Steelers got the most out of Woodley's career and rightfully cut him now.

To your point I think they let talent leave as much as any team in the league.

1. Woodley is washed up and at best would shoudl get a veteran minimum contract perhaps with incentives

2. Pittsburgh does let their veterans walk. Like any team with a big contract at QB they have faced salary cap issues. They just however resigned Heath Miller and Polamalu for contract extensions that reduce their cap numbers.

The larger point being that in this era of free agency, especially as contracts continue to sky-rocket (first it was the rookies, now it's the mediocre vets), teams like Green Bay, who've retain a gaudy number of drafted players, they're becoming increasingly rare.

But some posters will have you believe that not only is that the norm, but that anything short of that is abject failure.

Hughes last season put up the same numbers Woodley did in 2010 when he was still in his prime. There are countless positions that can be addressed where starters are actually needed as opposed to depth. We need LG, MLB, FS and TE.

This in a nutshell. Fans are more "name chasing" than they are looking at what he's capable of at this point in his career. Jerry Hughes had 10 sacks rushing the quarterback last year and like this poster said, and they also have Manny Lawson adding 4 more. No depth needed at pass rushing LB. They need a run stopping MLB for sure.

The larger point being that in this era of free agency, especially as contracts continue to sky-rocket (first it was the rookies, now it's the mediocre vets), teams like Green Bay, who've retain a gaudy number of drafted players, they're becoming increasingly rare.

But some posters will have you believe that not only is that the norm, but that anything short of that is abject failure.

Yes, by fixing the rookie scale (sort of like rent control in Manhattan) they guaranteed all that money would be used to bid up free agents astronomically. Won't be long before franchise QBs are averaging $50 million per year.

weren't we shamed into believing Pittsburgh doesn't let its homegrown talent walk?

To your point I think they let talent leave as much as any team in the league.

First of all cutting a declining veteran player isn't letting him walk.......it's MAKING him walk. There is a distinction.

But I don't recall people saying Pittsburgh didn't let their own talent leave......they are NOTORIOUS for it......so I don't know how ignorant of the league that one would have to be to formulate that opinion.

The difference between what the Bills do and what the Steelers do essentially comes down to the Steelers having a strong identity and a plan to maintain it.

This particular example is stupid.....Woodley is worn out and has a huge cap # and Worilds is a proven replacement who figures to outperform Woodley. The list of very good players with lots left in the tank that the Bills let go with NOBODY behind them is far lengthier than Pittburgh's.

But that is because the Bills have a new plan just about every year and their only identity is as a team with a RAMPANT losing culture......because they have been a complete picture of disorganization.

Until they get out of that hole and see some success, they don't really have the luxury of being just like everybody else. They are the least successful organization in the league this century, they don't have it like everybody else.

Hughes at this point is a one year wonder. I hope he is not, but I would add Woodley. We have enough money under the cap. He brings toughness, smarts and experience. We need that at LB, and I think he can still play. Better than any of the other LB's we are looking at. And there are not really any FS's, or TE's out there that I know of. Woodley would be about 4-5 mill a year. Our most expensive FA signing, but if he can play middle there is no reason not to try.

First of all cutting a declining veteran player isn't letting him walk.......it's MAKING him walk. There is a distinction.

But I don't recall people saying Pittsburgh didn't let their own talent leave......they are NOTORIOUS for it......so I don't know how ignorant of the league that one would have to be to formulate that opinion.

The difference between what the Bills do and what the Steelers do essentially comes down to the Steelers having a strong identity and a plan to maintain it.

This particular example is stupid.....Woodley is worn out and has a huge cap # and Worilds is a proven replacement who figures to outperform Woodley. The list of very good players with lots left in the tank that the Bills let go with NOBODY behind them is far lengthier than Pittburgh's.

But that is because the Bills have a new plan just about every year and their only identity is as a team with a RAMPANT losing culture......because they have been a complete picture of disorganization.

Until they get out of that hole and see some success, they don't really have the luxury of being just like everybody else. They are the least successful organization in the league this century, they don't have it like everybody else.

The Steeler's FO has not been the same model of consistency it used to be. Blown draft pick on OL, and DL over the past few years, letting Keenan Lewis go. Etc. Woodley was still a good player last year. If his cap number is 4-5 million I'd take him. The reason the steelers cut him is because their esteemed FO has them OVER THE CAP currently and they need to get below it. They are paying older players too much money also.

This in a nutshell. Fans are more "name chasing" than they are looking at what he's capable of at this point in his career. Jerry Hughes had 10 sacks rushing the quarterback last year and like this poster said, and they also have Manny Lawson adding 4 more. No depth needed at pass rushing LB. They need a run stopping MLB for sure.

I'd take Woodly over Lawson or Hughes any day. The consistency is there with Woodley. http://espn.go.com/n...45/jerry-hughes

my point is there is no reason not to have them both.

Edited by RyanC883

Don't know. 29 is kinda old for a LB to get a ton of money.

Steelers will release OLB LaMarr Woodley.

He'll be designated as a post-June 1 release, allowing the Steelers to spread out his $14.17 million in dead money over the next two seasons. The team won't see any salary-cap savings until June 2. Woodley's release was a fait accompli after the Steelers re-signed OLB Jason Worilds. Woodley still has some juice left as a pass rusher, but has become increasingly injury prone, and will turn 30 in November. He'll draw interest as a situational pass rusher for 3-4 teams.

He was in Pittsburgh when Woodley was drafted. Does Whaley try to land a guy that he could've been in on Pittsburgh selecting?

The Steeler's FO has not been the same model of consistency it used to be. Blown draft pick on OL, and DL over the past few years, letting Keenan Lewis go. Etc. Woodley was still a good player last year. If his cap number is 4-5 million I'd take him. The reason the steelers cut him is because their esteemed FO has them OVER THE CAP currently and they need to get below it. They are paying older players too much money also.

The standard that Bills fans hold the rest of the teams in the NFL too is much higher than what they tend to hold the Bills too. I've been hearing here for years about how NE, NYJ, Miami, Pittsburgh, NYG, Dallas etc. have been running their organizations into the ground overpaying players or letting them leave....and yet.....the Bills are always looking up at those guys in the standings at the end of the year. To paraphrase Bill Belichick.....in order to stay bad in the NFL you have to make A LOT of bad decisons. Other teams regularly make bad moves.......the Bills do it A LOT more often than most. Even in the event where they hit on a draft pick, like Levitre or Byrd or a UDFA like Peters.......they find a way to lose them. The inspirational sign above the tunnel entering the field at the Ralph should read "Remember, we can finish last WITHOUT you too".