COSMOS

Another good one.

It is nothing beyond 7th grade Science but it is so well done I get in to it every week. The first week I was the hardest to watch - too simple. But, tonight, I was remembering every bit of it from science classes and things I have been learning.

One thing that is getting on my nerves, however, while being an atheist and being rather outspoken about it - it sure seems like they take some small swipes and cracks at religion and religious theory. I do realize that the hardcore religious types/families are likely not watching this show to be offended - but I still don't think it is in good choice.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is nothing beyond 7th grade Science but it is so well done I get in to it every week. The first week I was the hardest to watch - too simple. But, tonight, I was remembering every bit of it from science classes and things I have been learning.

One thing that is getting on my nerves, however, while being an atheist and being rather outspoken about it - it sure seems like they take some small swipes and cracks at religion and religious theory. I do realize that the hardcore religious types/families are likely not watching this show to be offended - but I still don't think it is in good choice.

Oh, I think those swipes are deliberate. In fact the underlying message seems to be "Religion holds back humanity."

Oh, I think those swipes are deliberate. In fact the underlying message seems to be "Religion holds back humanity."

I am not sure I fully agree with the former. I do not disagree, however.

As far as the latter, it is sad. Religion has been good for humanity - but humanity has been awful for itself. Religion, though, is a product of humanity. God/spirituality, however, in the viewpoint of a religion, is man made. We just like to believe we are.

I am hopeful, though, that the impressionable minds viewing the show do not fall subject to realization of the seemingly anti-religion tone.

I am not sure I fully agree with the former. I do not disagree, however.

As far as the latter, it is sad. Religion has been good for humanity - but humanity has been awful for itself. Religion, though, is a product of humanity. God/spirituality, however, in the viewpoint of a religion, is man made. We just like to believe we are.

I am hopeful, though, that the impressionable minds viewing the show do not fall subject to realization of the seemingly anti-religion tone.

Spirituality is usually a good thing. In fact science and spirituality go together nicely. Even Carl Sagen said science can't help but enhance ones spirituality. It's organized religion that goes bad because it tends to be run by people who like the authority it lends. And science tends to threaten the accepted order of things which is a big no-no to those in power.

I'm really enjoying the series so far, and I was a big fan of the original series.

On a related LAMP note, I get to see NDT lecture in person Wednesday evening. Free event at the University, but tickets are required. That thing sold out in minutes. But I got me four tickets, baby.

http://www.motherjon...ts-creationists

But here's the problem for creationists: According to NASA, "The objects in the Oort Cloud and in the Kuiper Belt are presumed to be remnants from the formation of the solar system about 4.6 billion years ago." The Oort Cloud extends from about 5,000 to 100,000 astronomical units (AU) from the sun, according to NASA, where each AU is equal to the distance between Earth and the sun, or 93 million miles. That means that it also takes these comets very long periods of time to travel into the inner solar system, earning them the name of "long-period comets."

In other words, the problem for creationists is the idea that comets are ancient and are sometimes traveling vast distances, from the Oort Cloud, into the inner solar system, a journey that would take a huge amount of time. Now you see why the Oort Cloud is such a threat to their worldview.
Edited by jboyst62

The counter-argument to any such observation will always be "Because God set it up that way." If you believe the earth is some 5500 years old, because God made it 5500 years ago, it's absolutely no stretch of the imagination to say that God created the Oort cloud, the Kupier belt, and comets with orbital parameters that LOOK like they came from either, but were created in situ 5000 years ago at the appropriate point in their orbit.

Same logic behind fossils. God didn't create prehistoric animals, he just created the fossils for us to find.

The counter-argument to any such observation will always be "Because God set it up that way." If you believe the earth is some 5500 years old, because God made it 5500 years ago, it's absolutely no stretch of the imagination to say that God created the Oort cloud, the Kupier belt, and comets with orbital parameters that LOOK like they came from either, but were created in situ 5000 years ago at the appropriate point in their orbit.

Same logic behind fossils. God didn't create prehistoric animals, he just created the fossils for us to find.

I am having this very discussion with a very religious friend currently. Over the course of a week we have got no where because every time we start to make headway in some sort of agreement we fail. She believes in creationism and is very christian. I am talking about pure as can be despite being a fitness model crossfit maniac.

Her default is that no matter what argument is made, God's word said the Earth is 5k old and therefore it must be.

I am having this very discussion with a very religious friend currently. Over the course of a week we have got no where because every time we start to make headway in some sort of agreement we fail. She believes in creationism and is very christian. I am talking about pure as can be despite being a fitness model crossfit maniac.

Her default is that no matter what argument is made, God's word said the Earth is 5k old and therefore it must be.

Would ya? Did ya?

Except "God" never said such a thing. Men wrote those words and attributed them to God. Ask your friend is it not a sin of pride to limit God to only what men are able to comprehend?

I think he posted her picture in a previous thread. You be the judge! ;-)

different chick.

Except "God" never said such a thing. Men wrote those words and attributed them to God. Ask your friend is it not a sin of pride to limit God to only what men are able to comprehend?

Will do. She is earning her masters in something to do with higher education/college/university management. She's pretty smart but also very dumb.

different chick.

Will do. She is earning her masters in something to do with higher education/college/university management. She's pretty smart but also very dumb.

Ooops... I thought it was the body builder chick.

pretty smart but also very dumb.

There's two DCTom's in this world? Somebody call the police! ;-)

Which is why creationism, under any name ("scientific creationism," "intelligent design"), is not and will never be science. A scientific theorem requires the attribute of falsifiability - you have to be able to design a negative test against it that can disprove it. And there's no way to falsify "Because God said so."

I read the march issue of the awake magazine that the Jehovah Witnesses publish. It stated that the creation days didnt last 24 literal hours. To me that kind of made sense. It would not contradict science's idea that the planets/universe were formed billions of years ago.

I thought the bible point of view is that humans were created from 5-6000 years ago, not the actual universe. But I could be wrong.

Jw.org is the official page.

Which is why creationism, under any name ("scientific creationism," "intelligent design"), is not and will never be science. A scientific theorem requires the attribute of falsifiability - you have to be able to design a negative test against it that can disprove it. And there's no way to falsify "Because God said so."

There should be that separation anyway. I'm sure the evolutionists/atheists dont want to mix religion/god in the mix. I'm pretty sure the creationists/christians/spiritualists dont want science mixed in either.

Edited by Clippers of Nfl

I read the march issue of the awake magazine that the Jehovah Witnesses publish. It stated that the creation days didnt last 24 literal hours. To me that kind of made sense. It would not contradict science's idea that the planets/universe were formed billions of years ago.

I thought the bible point of view is that humans were created from 5-6000 years ago, not the actual universe. But I could be wrong.

I have some customers that are JW and stop by from time to time and we talk about religion. I will ask them about this when they stop by.

I'm happy to read this.

I watched the first episode and didn't come away very impressed. I'll give it another shot.

• 3 weeks later...

Tonights episode is incredibly deep compared to the previous episodes. I am actually learning tonight. I had forgot about Neutrino's and how amazing they are.

They haven't polked at Christians yet, nor have they had too many of the silly cartoons they often put in.