COSMOS

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the first 15-20 minutes of it.

So is the show basically just going to be a weekly series talking about space? I really don't get how they are going to get weekly viewers (good ratings) for a PBS type documentary about Space on FOX

Are you familiar with the original on PBS? This isn't about ratings for Fox (I can almost say that with a straight face), it's more of an attempt to re-infuse enthusiasm for science in the young minds of today.

Gotta say the graphics/SFX were really awesome. Incredibly impressive for a weekly tv show. As for the content, was rather disappointed it covered so little in an hr. Anxious to see if they're able to go more in depth in future episodes.

Gotta say the graphics/SFX were really awesome. Incredibly impressive for a weekly tv show. As for the content, was rather disappointed it covered so little in an hr. Anxious to see if they're able to go more in depth in future episodes.

I read that Tyson wanted to strip the "text-book science" that was so prevalent in the original series out of this version because it was more important to instill a sense of wonder about the cosmos than lecture about facts. I wonder if the fact they have 20 less minutes (give or take) per episode due to the commercials played any role in streamlining the science of it.

However, NASA and a couple other places are hosting web-discussions about each episode with anyone who wishes to know more.

I read that Tyson wanted to strip the "text-book science" that was so prevalent in the original series out of this version because it was more important to instill a sense of wonder about the cosmos than lecture about facts.

I was wondering if the intent is more to make the educational aspect of it more palatable/entertaining so as to make it more appealing to a wider audience. If your motivation was primarily to be educated, 10 minutes reading a textbook/website would be more beneficial, but as presented, you get decent entertainment for 40 minutes (plus 20 for commercials) & come away learning a little something, too.

I was wondering if the intent is more to make the educational aspect of it more palatable/entertaining so as to make it more appealing to a wider audience. If your motivation was primarily to be educated, 10 minutes reading a textbook/website would be more beneficial, but as presented, you get decent entertainment for 40 minutes (plus 20 for commercials) & come away learning a little something, too.

Tyson has been clamoring for a JFK "we're going to the moon" moment for today's youth. His mission (or so it seems) is to inspire young people to pursue science by instilling wonderment and awe.

Tyson has been clamoring for a JFK "we're going to the moon" moment for today's youth. His mission (or so it seems) is to inspire young people to pursue science by instilling wonderment and awe.

Which was Sagan's goal as well. I love that they are doing this and agree with Tyson's clamoring.

My teenage daughter was in the room while I was watching, at the beginning doing some other stuff and not paying attention - by the end saying "oh my gosh" out loud - and now looking forward to the next one. <get off my lawn rant>I'm an engineer and am into science shows of this kind, but at one point I thought to myself that a show like this should be requred viewing for teens - give some perspective of the breadth of the universe outside their cell phone and twitter account </get off my lawn rant>

I can remember watching the original PBS series with Sagan. I thought the reveal with Sagan's original appointment book showing the appt with a 17 yr old Tyson was very very cool. Small universe indeed.

Really, really excited for this. The original Cosmos was such a defining influence in my earlier, formative years, and I don't think they could have found someone better than NDT to carry on Carl's legacy. The only thing I was a tad confused on was whether this new series would be touching on new subject matter, as he cosmic calendar, starship of the imagination, and the story of Bruno have been covered by the original Cosmos...

Are you familiar with the original on PBS? This isn't about ratings for Fox (I can almost say that with a straight face), it's more of an attempt to re-infuse enthusiasm for science in the young minds of today.

I was not aware this was a remake/reboot of a PBS series.

And c'mon, it is always about Ratings with network television, FOX doesn't care about Science or getting kids enthused about it!

I was not aware this was a remake/reboot of a PBS series.

And c'mon, it is always about Ratings with network television, FOX doesn't care about Science or getting kids enthused about it!

No, but in a recent interview NDGT said he was shocked that FOX wanted it (with Seth MacFarlane EP, lest we forget) because he said it would open his message up to about as broad of an audience as exists.

I know you're hung up on the ratings thing, but I think it's been pretty clear since the Cleveland Show that Fox just doesn't say 'no' to Mr. Family Guy.

No, but in a recent interview NDGT said he was shocked that FOX wanted it (with Seth MacFarlane EP, lest we forget) because he said it would open his message up to about as broad of an audience as exists.

I know you're hung up on the ratings thing, but I think it's been pretty clear since the Cleveland Show that Fox just doesn't say 'no' to Mr. Family Guy.

Why did you have to be so hurtful? I actually enjoyed The Cleveland Show!

I would assume that FOX figures if MacFarlane is attached, people will watch and thats why they were interested and put it on.

I think if the ratings aren't great though that it could end up being one of those shows that gets canceled from FOX but picked up by another network (not one of the big 3) and thrives there

I liked it. I was a huge fan of the Sagan show too. Considering how much science has advanced in the last 30 years it makes sense to redo Cosmos. It's also really important today considering how science is being called into question by today's Luddites. Back in the day they were considered crackpots. Now they sit in Congress and serve on the Science committee.

Actually Luddites is probably the wrong term here. At least Luddites had a legit reason to resist machinery. They didn't act like machinery didn't exist.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot