Hockey Referee arrested for physically removing teen from ice

millbank

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/hockey-cromwell-referee-arrest-charges-police-fight-disturbance-249159901.html

During a hockey game between teens 13 - 14 years old a player was given a match penalty with means he is to leave ice. The player became angry and shot a puck at the head of the referee and went to the bench. It appears the referee went into the bench and dragged the player off the ice. Angry parents seeing this called 911 and police came and referee arrested.

Putting hands on children at any case is not going to go over well anywhere. In hindsight the referees course of action would have been better had he went to Coach of young mans team, told the coach either the young man leave the ice in a timely fashion of the game is forfeited, least wise to me that seems one answer. Some background police had been called earlier in the weekend at parents harassing referees. It not a large jump to conclude young man with the attitude, likely from home with one. Got to wonder if Coach or Parents deserve unpaid volunteers to give their time son their children can play a game.

No doubt most at seeing one of their children being dragged by a adult are going to react quickly, but one wonders if the only recourse was for this referee to forfeit the game and leave the ice himself banning this team for playing further.

Referee chose wrong course of action, but I can understand it.

What do you think of this incident and what would you have done as Referee, and as Parent. Parent of Opposing team, Parent of player being dragged. ( did not read at any time a adult redirecting young player, telling him to settle down and be respectful)

Got to wonder who the victim is here. Imagine in the end this referee who is also the commissioner will be removed from this league and much shame attached to him, young man and Parents enabled to carry right on. Time will tell .

And so another entitled little punk is taught he doesn't have to respect any authority at any time. Absolutely ridiculous

entire story not been told yet. Given it would appear a young man allowed to act out in any fashion, Parents responsible for discipline possibly role modes for the said behavior , wish it were possible for such a thing as a Parental time out where Parents were mandated one month effective parenting education, and young man one month in Military school. The notion of freedom of expression, that children are just children ect. Somewhere someplace there need be something over adults that in fact are just older children, the children they said to be responsible for , see them more as fellow children and friends. You see your son shooting a puck at a persons head in anger , yelling at the referee for deemed misdeeds, it obvious children , parents a extension of each other .

...it obvious children , parents a extension of each other .

You hit the nail on the head Mill. Obviously, "monkey see, monkey do." Weren't the parents already cited for harassing the refs in previous games? This is an extension of the parents. My child does that, I don't care if the ref drags him off by his skates... I am there, I won't let it get out of hand. Even if it did, end it right there. Then on top of it calling 911... Are you kidding me! The ref is the authority figure. Its obvious that ref lost his cool, and rightly so, but how much he lost his cool, we do not know. What a bunch of whiny parents. End it, met out the punishments and stop wasting police/court resources. 5K bond, you gotta be joking!

This whole story is ridiculous. Where was it in? CT, MA? Somewehere in NE? Figures... Wasn't somebody killed in MA a bunch of years ago with it being about youth hockey? I am not saying other places are better, but come on, New England youth hockey needs to simmer down.