A couple of predicitions for the start of FA

Estro

1 - Last year the Patriots tried to sign Emanuel Sanders as a RFA, and would've parted with a 3rd round pick had the Steelers not matched the contract. Julian Edelman is unsigned, as of now, and there's rumors that they may part with Amendola in the coming days. Sanders would be a perfect fit as the slot receiver in NE, and I think the Pats will be quick to sign him. 2 - Jared Allen is a good 4-3 DE who wants to play for a championship caliber team. The current champions, the Seahawks are set to lose one of their DE's, Michael Bennett. This one just makes too much sense. 3 - And lastly, Alex Carrington. Mike Pettine raved about this guy last year at training camp. Even said of all the DL that Carrington played with he best leverage and would have a big role on the D in 2013. Injury got in the way of those projections, but you can fully expect Pettine to sign Carington quickly. It's a mutually beneficial signing: Carrington gets $4-$5 million per year (more than other teams would be willing to pay him) and a starting job in a scheme he knows, and Pettine buys in low on a player who knows his scheme and fits it well.

Edited by Estro

Ricky Jean Francois started a total of 5 games in his first 4 NFL seasons, accumulating 33 tackles and 3 sacks over those 4 seasons. The Colts signed him to a 4 year - $22 million deal during last years FA period. The salary cap this year is up roughly 8% from last year and will see similar jumps in the next 2 years. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and teams have tons of cap space. I think the $$$ will be very free flowing in a couple of days.

Edited by Estro

Ricky Jean Francois started a total of 5 games in his first 4 NFL seasons, accumulating 33 tackles and 3 sacks over those 4 seasons. The Colts signed him to a 4 year - $22 million deal during last years FA period. The salary cap this year is up roughly 8% from last year and will see similar jumps in the next 2 years. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and teams have tons of cap space. I think the $$$ will be very free flowing in a couple of days.

When the CBA was first signed, there was talk of a minimum spend percentage for teams based on the cap. I don't hear about that playing into the general thoughts I've read about this years free agency from anyone. Wasn't that supposed to be kicking in by now, or is that next year?

Carrigton will around 4 or 5 per . Not sure how much he will get guarenteed however

Bryd will get less tehn expected. I thought someone would blow him out of the water now it seems 5 for 40 seems in the ballpark

Bills will indentify and sign 3-5 very useful players Right tackle, inside backer, wide out and 2 db's

It's a nice thought, but Jean-Francois's a starter and Carrington is just filler. They're not in the same role at all. While I would agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, there's also a tendency to see players through rose colored glasses. Carrington is that type of guy given his versatility to fill in at DT, DE and even OLB. The problem is that there's better players at every position that will be starters. At best, Carrington would get a short term deal with the Bills with a small amount of guaranteed money. It almost certainly would not the $5.5 million guaranteed that Jean-Francois received from the Colts. In terms of another posters question about spending requirements, teams must cumulatively spend 89% of the the cap collectively for the 2013-2016 seasons. My prediction for Buffalo and free agency is conservatism. They have middle of the pack available cap space, but at the same time have the 4th worst dead cap money in the NFL. I think small splashes at best and hopefully getting players that plug holes.

Was Jean-Francois coming off of a season-ending injury?

Carrington will get $3.5mm. Maybe $4mm max if Pettine loves him so much

He is a perfect example of the Bills letting their own go. He has Jabari Greer written all over him. And Alan Branch is still a wildcard to boot

He is a perfect example of the Bills letting their own go. He has Jabari Greer written all over him. And Alan Branch is still a wildcard to boot

I'm not sure I agree with this boyst...Buffalo had conversations with Carrington, and I believe they wanted to re-sign him. However, if the choice came down to Carrington or Branch, I can't fault the team at all for signing the guy that was healthy coming out of the season.

As far as the Greer comparison, the big difference to me is that Greer had played much more extensively than Carrington and really did look like the team's best cover man at the time they let him go...and also that when he was allowed to leave it was for less money than the team paid McGee, whereas if Carrington signs for the $3.5M you expect, he'll be getting about 40% more per season than Branch.

For me, you just made the point of the day. In December, the Bills signed Branch to a 4 year $11.5 million deal with $3.975 million guaranteed (numbers according to Rotoworld). How does this not raise a question in regards to Carrington's value? His productivity relative to Branch has been pretty dismal to boot.

I'm not sure I agree with this boyst...Buffalo had conversations with Carrington, and I believe they wanted to re-sign him. However, if the choice came down to Carrington or Branch, I can't fault the team at all for signing the guy that was healthy coming out of the season.

As far as the Greer comparison, the big difference to me is that Greer had played much more extensively than Carrington and really did look like the team's best cover man at the time they let him go...and also that when he was allowed to leave it was for less money than the team paid McGee, whereas if Carrington signs for the $3.5M you expect, he'll be getting about 40% more per season than Branch.

I understand its not a direct match to Greer but it is a similarity. McGee being Branch but in this case Branch is much less and unproven the talent McGee was. And Carrington being a talented young guy who has shown flashes of brilliance in his play. He thrived with better coaching and was one of a few players that kept a upward trend with improvement. Our DL would have had 4 players with 10 sacks had Carrington been playing.

I really was surprised to see how much of a fan I became of his in the end of 2012 and this preseason.

I understand its not a direct match to Greer but it is a similarity. McGee being Branch but in this case Branch is much less and unproven the talent McGee was. And Carrington being a talented young guy who has shown flashes of brilliance in his play. He thrived with better coaching and was one of a few players that kept a upward trend with improvement. Our DL would have had 4 players with 10 sacks had Carrington been playing.

I really was surprised to see how much of a fan I became of his in the end of 2012 and this preseason.

I'm really not sure where you get that information. Carrington has played in 44 games in his 4 year career and had 9 total starts. Over those 4 years, he's had a grand total of 4 sacks (none coming in starts). No matter how many ways you cut it, he's not even close to a 10 sack guy. At the end of the day, the Bills top-4 pass rushers did have 40 sacks last season (41 to be precise). Glad you're a fan of him, but as stated previously, it's a little bit too much "rose colored glasses" for my taste.

Carrington is a wildcard too. And coming off a season-ending injury. I like Carrington’s potential, but he’s no layup for future stardom and Branch played well last year. No reason to get worked up over either one of them one way or the other.

Edited by purple haze

How much mrags? He wont sniff 5 million. But my argument was hes deff not getting a couple million more per year as the op said. But if he gets 5 million or over you can slap me silly and call me suzy and vice versa.

Edited by Estelle Getty