Teacher Videos Stuck Boy

I don't know the whole story, but just wow...

I'm trying to understand...was the teacher waiting for people to assist her with the situation? Even so, what was the purpose of the video camera? The teacher claims that she did not want to make the situation a bigger deal than it needed to be, as to not further stress out the student. If that is the case then what's up with the taser comment?

Questions to be answered here, but man oh man if that was my child...

I don't know the whole story, but just wow...

I'm trying to understand...was the teacher waiting for people to assist her with the situation? Even so, what was the purpose of the video camera? The teacher claims that she did not want to make the situation a bigger deal than it needed to be, as to not further stress out the student. If that is the case then what's up with the taser comment?

Questions to be answered here, but man oh man if that was my child...

They actually showed the video. It is there I think. I guess the taser comment was a standing joke with the class.

I watched the video, but I thought the news story was lacking context and details. I don't know whether to be angered, or just slightly perturbed.

Yeah, that is what I am thinking. @ first, I actually thought no big deal. Now I guess the lawyer is saying "blood vessels broke in his eyes." Teacher was rather calm and cold. Of course, what purpose does it to freak out. Very humiliating... Why video it and then post it around?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

This is simply appalling.

Kids with autism spectrum disorders face bullying to extremes. That this bullying is being done by a special ed teacher makes it all the more heinous. And make no mistake, this is bullying. Making a video in such a situation and then sharing it with people and having guffaws and taunting him will now follow him. This treatment is beyond what is allowed in the Geneva Conventions for captured soldiers --- that may be a clue that what you're doing is wrong.

An appropriate response would be to help. An appropriate response would be to get on the horn with maintenance and telling them in no uncertain terms that a child is trapped in a chair and that it's very much not "low-priority." An appropriate response doesn't to include breaking out the cell phone camera and talking about Tasering. Seriously? Who the hell running-jokes about Tasering? ASD comes part-and-parcel with high levels of anxiety, which were already in play, the sense of being trapped and of people making fun of you only heightens it all. It's a wonder he didn't try to unbudge himself and separate a shoulder or something.

(As I've written on here before, I have been told by several people in a position to know that I have Asperger's (it really didn't get any attention in this country until 1994 when I was into high school) and getting a diagnosis at this point doesn't really do much. )

Edited by UConn James

Kids with autism spectrum disorders face bullying to extremes. That this bullying is being done by a special ed teacher makes it all the more heinous. And make no mistake, this is bullying. Making a video in such a situation and then sharing it with people and having guffaws and taunting him will now follow him. This treatment is beyond what is allowed in the Geneva Conventions for captured soldiers --- that may be a clue that what you're doing is wrong.

An appropriate response would be to help. An appropriate response would be to get on the horn with maintenance and telling them in no uncertain terms that a child is trapped in a chair and that it's very much not "low-priority." An appropriate response doesn't to include breaking out the cell phone camera and talking about Tasering. Seriously? Who the hell running-jokes about Tasering? ASD comes part-and-parcel with high levels of anxiety, which were already in play, the sense of being trapped and of people making fun of you only heightens it all. It's a wonder he didn't try to unbudge himself and separate a shoulder or something.

(As I've written on here before, I have been told by several people in a position to know that I have Asperger's (it really didn't get any attention in this country until 1994 when I was into high school) and getting a diagnosis at this point doesn't really do much. )

Nicely said!

+100

Yup, spot on.

If this was a normal kid I might say 'have a sense of humor', but goofing on a crying, mentally handicapped kid is about as low as you can sink. This woman should never be allowed to step in a classroom again.

Edited by KD in CT

Well said!

This is disgusting. I can't believe the teacher is on a paid leave.

She should be fired before the principal. The fact that she recorded the childs emabarasment and then emailed it to herself shows that she had the intention of showing this video to others which would be a form of bullying.

This would be disgusting if any child was involved but the fact that the child suffers from Autism makes it even worse.

The teacher should have been trying to calm him and made him feel safe by letting him know that help is on the way as well as telling the other students to start doing some work and not huddle around.

Don't get me wrong... I am very much disgusted and disturbed by the cool, calm videotaping, "taser" joke, etc... I guess the reason I posted this is because I am trying to understand the other side of this. KD touched on it with "if this was a normal kid thing." Would it really be okay? Yet, playing devil's advocate here, even with autism, can the kid learn not to do it (or something even worse) again through this type of humiliation? Is that what the teacher was getting @? ?? I mean trial and error is a huge tool that keeps people from really hurting themselves.

Or... Do we just sue the maker of the school chair for making that opening too big. You know this will happen again w/children. ALL children. How does one stop it from happening more frequently? Or do we as a society just begin to react to the fact that incidents WILL happen. It is like sticking your hand in a fan. Is it possible for the autistic (and in this case, the much milder Aspie situation) from simply not squirming when math is given out of the fear that they will get messed up/humiliated and feel that much more uncomfortable. IE: Trial and error. That is why they are squirming, out of uncomfortablness... Right? Now they are even more uncomfortable. Do they get that process? Can they get that process?

Many questions to be asked here how people (all people) learn. By no means would I have been that teacher and when push comes to shove would have reacted in the way UConn laid it out!

The teacher should have been trying to calm him and made him feel safe by letting him know that help is on the way as well as telling the other students to start doing some work and not huddle around.

That is what I am trying to figure out. She was calm and cool. She said help was on its way... The others weren't huddled around and the other children went off and did their business. @ one point, she calmly dismissed the children to another area.

I am not saying I disagree agree with you. It almost looks like she was acting for the benefit of the other children. Like: "Look, see what happens when you squirm for math." Is there one child out there that is going to think (maybe next week or whenever): "Wow, don't do this, remember what happened to Billy!" Or is this all just involuntary w/the special needs child? Can problems like this be "learned" to be avoided. Again, does it come down to just making the chair safer?

And she gets a paid vacation to boot. Love our current school system.

I understand. As much as it pains me to say this, there is more to the story than what the video is showing. Many can say: "It is a video, how can there be more? It says everything." But, IMO, it really doesn't. If video was be all and end all... Why do they still use court reporters for official transcripts of legal proceedings? Just shoot the video of the legal proceeding and be done w/it.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

My wife actually shows the movie "Radio" to her classes the first week of school every year because it helps kids understand the effect they can have when they are positive and helpful instead of bullying jackasses.

I've never gotten the whole "bullying" thing, especially with people who are obviously suffering.

I keep thinking about this episode about being "conspicuous." Supposedly the mother reposted the video where it went viral. :wallbash:

1959:

http://www.tvrage.com/shows/id-4213/episodes/101719

101719.jpg

I think Wally asks Ward @ the end if they are going to sue the park/town... Ward says: "No." I guess nowadays, fire the teacher(s), go for the "deep pocket" and sue the chair maker. That will teach everybody! Get them to redesign/engineer a better chair where this will never happen to another again. Then, school board will have to spring 500 bucks a chair while the parents complain their taxes are going up! :doh: