whats wrong with Thad Lewis?

From what I saw of Thad, I believe he can be a middle to low end backup; the kind of guy that can fill in for a game or 2 and be ok but if you need him for any more than that, we’d be in trouble…although many of the backups in this league are in that boat.

My biggest issue with Thad (besides the turnovers) was that once he got hit a few times, he stopped stepping into his throws. He’d do the old chuck and duck which really affected his accuracy. I know he took some wallops and got back up but standing tall in the pocket is also part of toughness.

I personally want them to bring in a veteran backup who knows his role and can help EJ progress mentally. Then let Thad and Tuel fight for the #3 job.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a decent back up. I wish we carried three though with one very experienced veteran like a Matt Hassleback or Josh McKown. I'd even be happy with Fitz as a back up. We learned last year how bad it is with no quality back ups.

Hassleback is exactly the guy, or at least the kind of guy. Someone that had some success as a starter, understans his role. Fitz isn't coming back.

I think its a "heaven forbid we keep trying to add talent at qb" situation more than a "omg Thad Lewis will ruin this team."

No one expects Thad to be Brady or Rogers or even romo - so in that sense you may find the discussion less offensive if you reevaluate the assumptions you are bringing to it

I don't find it offensive, I just kinda get sick of everyone always complaing about every QB we have... I mean some QBs we have are really no good ( Tuel and Kolb) but EJ and Thad are decent.

I was being sarcastic about comparing them to the other QBs.

The problem with Thad Lewis is that he didn't enter the NFL with Kiper and McShay giving him a tongue bath.

A little crude, but there is a lot of truth in this Promo.

We learned last year how bad it is with no quality back ups.

I disagree. Last season we reinforced what we already knew about how bad it is with no quality starter.

Lewis and Manuel were quite comparable. Both are unpolished and neither imho will be much good unless they utilize their ability to run. Don't be terribly surprised if Lewis is the starter by midseason, be it by injuries or benching.

Why do we do this to ourselves as fans year after year? Thad Lewis did nothing special in college and nothing special with his opportunities to start while EJ was injured. It is absolutely irrelevant that EJ performed about the same as a starter, as he was drafted to BE the starter. When all is said and done, EJ absolutely should be the starter for at least the next 2 years. If he doesn't show improvement this year, then the third year will certainly be the hot seat for him. So the OP asks the question of "what's wrong with Thad Lewis"? The question really needs to be qualified to deserve a proper answer. As a backup (which is what he is), there's nothing wrong with him. Similar playing style and demonstrated ability (so far) to EJ IMO makes him a quality backup. As a starter, I have no interest in him what so ever. At some point, we as fans have to let our team endure the growing pains instead of simply wanting to move on. That is absolutely the only way this team will actually get better.

Absolutely. Improve the team around EJ. Stay with JT and Thad and take away the "had to learn a new system" excuse again.