ILB Jasper Brinkley visited the Bills (3/6/14): Signed by Vikings

I answered this in the other thread, but just for posterity:

When a vested veteran (4 years or more of NFL experience) is released, he immediately becomes a UFA

The part I didn't know was that they don't have to wait until free agency starts.

The part I didn't know was that they don't have to wait until free agency starts.

Because he is a free agent just like they could sign you or I. Players that are under expiring contracts are still property of their old team until the new league year while a guy that is cut by his team is not.

Always funny to see the contrast between human evaluation and "advanced metrics" like PFF, where Beason, Riley, D'Qwell Jackson, and Donald Butler rank at the bottom but Moats, Smith, Dansby, Spikes, and Brinkley rank at the top

https://www.profootb...nt-linebackers/

I prefer the eye-ball test myself.

Amen! Stat monkey business if for Baseball.

With the BILLS bringing ILBs in for visits, it seems they are pretty bent on getting some Veteran leadership for that MLB spot...which, makes sense. That would seem that the BILLS want to get a Vet MLB to pair with Kiko, and probably a young OLB via the Draft...that's of course speculation based on just two FA visits, but considering there are others and that it's the same position in 2 days, speaks to what their plans may be, IMO...

If you haven't read the write-up on Mosley done by Bleacher Report, it is well worth the read...the article really makes you like the kid and hope the BILLS find a way to put him on their team...somehow!

he is what we need in the middle on first and second down, a thumper.

I found this video on him. Wired against SD

http://www.azcardina...c7-d9f4f72c1016

I fancy myself a bit of a football nut and did a who? when i saw this but I loved that video. Loved everything he said including loving the physicality of the game, having to be the leader, and having to be vocal. Now I'm gonna have to do some digging...

Looking at his stats from last year he started the season well and disappeared down the stretch. Don't know if that was schematic or injury related or something else.

He was starting in place of the suspended Daryl Washington for the first 4 games...once Washington returned, he was relegated to a backup role behind him and Dansby.

We should take a look at Moats....

We should re-sign him to a modest contract and let him battle for playing time, he's younger than any of the guys we're interested and he can keep getting better.

Because he is a free agent just like they could sign you or I. Players that are under expiring contracts are still property of their old team until the new league year while a guy that is cut by his team is not.

So simple - I just didn't think. Thanks for the explanation.