ILB Jasper Brinkley visited the Bills (3/6/14): Signed by Vikings

No stone left unturned?

Finding the players who want to be here?

I am pleased with this, despite my sarcasm. I don't know anything about him and will base my entire thought of him on PFF's value.

Just remember that PFF graded Donald Butler a -11.8 in 2013...so...yeah

EDIT: the PFF FA tracker tells me they rated Brinkley as a 1.1 in 210 snaps in 2013, 10th among FA LBs

Edited by thebandit27

No stone left unturned?

Finding the players who want to be here?

I am pleased with this, despite my sarcasm. I don't know anything about him and will base my entire thought of him on PFF's value.

@evansilva

Top free agent ILBs left: 1. Karlos Dansby 2. Brandon Spikes 3. Daryl Smith 4. Jon Beason 5. Perry Riley 6. Wesley Woodyard 7. Arthur Moats.

@evansilva

Top free agent ILBs left: 1. Karlos Dansby 2. Brandon Spikes 3. Daryl Smith 4. Jon Beason 5. Perry Riley 6. Wesley Woodyard 7. Arthur Moats.

Always funny to see the contrast between human evaluation and "advanced metrics" like PFF, where Beason, Riley, D'Qwell Jackson, and Donald Butler rank at the bottom but Moats, Smith, Dansby, Spikes, and Brinkley rank at the top

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/01/2014-free-agent-linebackers/

I prefer the eye-ball test myself.

Strictly a run stopper. Can't play in space or cover. Strictly a 2 down LB. Pretty clear that Whaley wants a typical thumping MLB.

We'll be scraping the bottom of the barrel until free agency officially begins.

I'm on board with the 2-down thumper...I also don't think signing a guy like Brinkley precludes them going after another ILB in FA

Always funny to see the contrast between human evaluation and "advanced metrics" like PFF, where Beason, Riley, D'Qwell Jackson, and Donald Butler rank at the bottom but Moats, Smith, Dansby, Spikes, and Brinkley rank at the top

Personally I think Dansby passes both tests. Would love to see us try again there, seems like just what we need- a thumper that brings attitude and leadership and can cover a bit.

Beason helped the Jints run D last year and generally seems a tad underrated.

Personally I think Dansby passes both tests. Would love to see us try again there, seems like just what we need- a thumper that brings attitude and leadership and can cover a bit.

Beason helped the Jints run D last year and generally seems a tad underrated.

Agreed on Dansby...Beason I'm a bit shakier on, but would be okay with him

Agreed on Dansby...Beason I'm a bit shakier on, but would be okay with him

either would have to come cheap - between the evolution of the nfl where your 3rd LB is essentially a package player, coupled with schwartzs schemes and history of not investing heavily in LB, and us having kiko and lawson already.

i wouldnt be shocked if the LBs we add very much underwhelm the board, but are effective contributors (ie a brinkley or mcclain type player). you know, a guy that people mock and ridicule the signing of in march but really like in october.

Edited by NoSaint

Strictly a run stopper. Can't play in space or cover. Strictly a 2 down LB. Pretty clear that Whaley wants a typical thumping MLB.

Seems that way...

I'd still like to see where the market for Beason ends up being...I think he and Kiko would make a hell of a good team for a few years... B-)

either would have to come cheap - between the evolution of the nfl where your 3rd LB is essentially a package player, coupled with schwartzs schemes and history of not investing heavily in LB, and us having kiko and lawson already.

i wouldnt be shocked if the LBs we add very much underwhelm the board, but are effective contributors (ie a brinkley or mcclain type player). you know, a guy that people mock and ridicule the signing of in march but really like in october.

Doesn't that apply to pretty much every FA pick up over the past few years except M. Williams?

I'm on board with the 2-down thumper...I also don't think signing a guy like Brinkley precludes them going after another ILB in FA

Wasn't moats a 2 down thumper? Myself I'd like to see a three down thumper that can cover and sack also

I don't see McClain as all that different from moats though.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I don't see McClain as all that different from moats though.

and?

i could end up surprised, i just dont expect a big investment at this position. I havent watched a ton of mcclain so i couldnt give you a list of pros/cons compared to moats. Schwartz has no particular ties to moats though. i simply think we are looking for a package guys, more than a traditional starting player. my guess is it wont be a guy that is known to be a blitzer, or a sideline to sideline player, just someone that gets downhill in the run game and can fill small zones in limited passing duties (if not blitzing much, itll allow 7 in coverage)