Reed F: Time to say goodbye to this

San-O

I like the fact that he can't rush the passer despite the fact that he's rarely on the field in those situations.  That doesn't even consider that there are few natural pass rushers at the position and that they aren't often around when pick 61 comes up.

Denney is a good run defender and the fact that he doesn't have a tremendous first step actually helps in that facet of the game.  We have bigger problems on our team than Ryan Denney and if he were a lower pick no one would be bitching about him at all.

214072[/snapback]

Oh, OK. Now it all makes sense.

So the Bills coaches don't start him or play him in passing situtions because they don't need him to rush the passer and his first step slowness is actually good?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

tell that to the guys who want jeff posey replaced........

214041[/snapback]

That's exactly my point and he was one I was thinking of when I wrote this. Personally I like Posey, he doesn't make the big plays like Fletcher and Spikes but he gets his job done quietly. Very seldom does he make major mistakes.

Yes, because teams rarely toss a high draft pick to the side after just 2 seasons.  The Steelers are well known for letting players develop, especially in the trenches.  That explains why 5/6ths of their OLine was drafted by TD.

214085[/snapback]

Wrong again. This was his 3rd season, and he is 27 years old. That is

the other problem I had with this pick.

Sorry about using facts or stats.

Denney is a good run defender and the fact that he doesn't have a tremendous first step actually helps in that facet of the game.  We have bigger problems on our team than Ryan Denney and if he were a lower pick no one would be bitching about him at all.

214072[/snapback]

i think the point is he wasn't a lower pick.......i don't know about you, but i really don't want to invest 2nd round picks in backup DE's who are good against the run and can't pass rush.......to me, that is a waste.........do you think that is good value?

that being said, i really don't think it was that horrible a pick because it wasn't that deep a draft to begin with......we needed a DE, and the only one i see picked after denney that i would take over him is alex brown from the bears (4th round -- 104 overall).....he hasn't lit the world on fire, but he has progressed each year and i think he's headed for a breakout season........but if i remember correctly, he had some attitude concerns coming out of florida.......anyway, the pick is far from TD's worst and i agree denney doesn't deserve the slagging he gets........

i think the point is he wasn't a lower pick.......i don't know about you, but i really don't want to invest 2nd round picks in backup DE's who are good against the run and can't pass rush.......to me, that is a waste.........do you think that is good value?

214120[/snapback]

I think trading up for him was a mistake, but not all of your decisions are going to be winners. As long as TD doesn't make a habit of it, the occasional misjudgment is just part of the job.

And as long as Denney remains a steady if unspectacular performer, I don't think the pick was terrible. A late second-round pick is getting into the area, I think, where you should be reasonably happy if you get solid play out of your pick. It's legitimate to expect star play from a first-rounder or early second-rounder. After that point a lot of players are doing well if they put together a four or five year career.

Had a sack on the first drive of the Steelers game when they were deep in our territory.

Caught Johnson from behind on 3rd down in the Niners game, forcing a punt.  Game was scoreless at the time.  Niners were near midfield.

On the drive Peters blocked the punt in the Cincinnati game, Denney tipped the first down pass.

On the play before Nate Clements' INT in the Brown's game, Denney sniffed out a screen, tackling the receiver for a 3 yard gain.  That made it 3rd and 15.

In the Seattle game, he sacked Hassleback and forced a fumble that PW recovered at the Hawks 15 yard line.  Willis Mac scored 5 plays later.

Recoved a fumble at our 27 yard line in the Cardinals game.  The play was nullified by a penalty.  The Cardinals scored a TD on the drive.

That says nothing of the number of times he did EXACTLY what he was supposed to do, allowing TKO and Fletch to make a spectacular play.

Rant on.

214000[/snapback]

thanks for having a memory... that was beautiful. The D has been #2 for two years and Denny had nothing to do with it.

Wrong again.  This was his 3rd season, and he is 27 years old.  That is

the other problem I had with this pick.

Sorry about using facts or stats.

214108[/snapback]

I knew you were going to say that. You said would he still be around if it was the Stillers - I said yes. There's no way the Stillers would have cut him before THIS season. PERIOD.

that being said, i really don't think it was that horrible a pick because it wasn't that deep a draft to begin with......we needed a DE, and the only one i see picked after denney that i would take over him is alex brown from the bears (4th round -- 104 overall).....he hasn't lit the world on fire, but he has progressed each year and i think he's headed for a breakout season........but if i remember correctly, he had some attitude concerns coming out of florida.......anyway, the pick is far from TD's worst and i agree denney doesn't deserve the slagging he gets........

214120[/snapback]

Can't disagree with any of that. No GM hits anywhere close to 50% on their picks.