It's fish fry season!

Just Jack

I think you have it backwards. I used to be because of Lent now it's only because it's Friday.

No. I got it right. :D

You are a throwback and probably don't even know it it... Are you (or have been raised) Catholic?

What you do now was what the Catholics started (Friday fish) in the first place and have been doing for centuries pre-1965, Vatican II. Up until 1965 it was forbidden (w/exceptions) to eat meat other than fish on ANY Friday, even out side of Lent, but you probably knew that. My elderly in-laws (wife's parents) still follow what you do, simply because it is Friday (and of course, for them, because that's what the Catholic Church told them to do pre-1965).

So yes... There is a "Friday Fish Season"... It is now called: Lent. It used to be called: Friday's.

Anyone have a good recipe to share for a transplant that misses Fridays?

Just haddock fillets and batter... Deep fry away!... :D

Thanks for the detailed answer. Where would I be without it? :thumbsup:

LoL... I used to work @ the Dubel's (Bells), in the deli in Cheektowaga. That is all we did for a fish fry... Of course the fries/salad/or whatever that went along w/it. "Beer" battered fish was done that way and then there was the battered and breaded fish. After Friday, that is when the oil would get cleaned (Saturday morning).

Really, all it was... Haddock fillet battered and fried! The old Polish ladies would order that like it was going out of style! Not to mention the souse and the homemade czernina... :sick:

Remember, sometimes simplier is better. Wanna know how we did their "famous" roast beef? Even simpler. :D

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

LoL... I used to work @ the Dubel's (Bells), in the deli in Cheektowaga. That is all we did for a fish fry... Of course the fries/salad/or whatever that went along w/it. "Beer" battered fish was done that way and then there was the battered and breaded fish. After Friday, that is when the oil would get cleaned (Saturday morning).

Really, all it was... Haddock fillet battered and fried! The old Polish ladies would order that like it was going out of style! Not to mention the souse and the homemade czernina... :sick:

Remember, sometimes simplier is better. Wanna know how we did their "famous" roast beef? Even simpler. :D

Yeah I get that, but what's the batter made out of? I can do a decent fried fish, but I never seem to get it quite right.

Yeah I get that, but what's the batter made out of? I can do a decent fried fish, but I never seem to get it quite right.

I am trying to remember how we made it, usually it was made up by one of the deli ladies during the day (and kept in the cooler). It didn't have "beer" in it, I think? Same batter was used for the breaded fish... Except done lightly and then breaded in bread crumbs.

I wanna say... egg and flour... Of course throw some beer in there for good measure! :D

Where I used to live, it's the opposite of the Buffalo area. Only one RC church and a ton of Protestants. The church was founded by the founders of the city, The first person buried in the cemetery died when fell off the roof or the original church during construction. Some of the descendants of the Donner party are also buried there. Every Friday during Lent and the second Friday of every month, they have an all you can eat fish fry for $5 run by the K of C for the school. It's OK but nothing like the fish fries in WNY. It's the only fish fry available.

When I am back visiting, I go to the Town Shanty at Clinton and Harlem (under the billboard) in Cheektowaga for a fish fry to go. For a sit down dinner, I go to the Deerhead Inn on Clinton across from ST. Matthew's Cemetery near Clinton and Old French Road. I tell people to also look for any bar that has a full parking lot after work on Fridays. Those are the ones that usually have a great fish fry.