People the Bills Pay

This Byrd thing got me wondering about all the failjobs the Bills have had over the years at keeping talent. To summarize (feel free to add others ive missed)

Guys we decided to pay: Fitzpatrick, Kyle Williams (pro bowler), Chris Kelsay, Lee Evans, Fred Jackson, Stevie Johnson, Eric Wood, Leodis McKelvin

Guys we decided not to pay: Pat Williams (pro bowler), Nate Clements (pro bowler), Antoine Winfield (pro bowler), London Fletcher (pro bowler), Jason Peters(pro bowler), Jabari Greer, Paul Pozluszny (pro bowler) , Donte Whitner (pro bowler), Andy Levitre, Jairus Byrd (pro bowler and on pace for HOF career....compare his stats to Ed Reed they are very similar)

Guys we traded for peanuts: Willis Mcgahee (pro bowler), Marshawn Lynch(pro bowler)

The wheels keep spinning and we dont go anywhere. Why? because we sign talent to either exhorborant contract extension (fitz, kelsay) out of line with their performance or we nab them early before they could get more money (K williams)...when it comes to paying our premium talent, its always made out to be that the player is asking for too much or hates buffalo.

This is why we buff a blow.

Edited by TallskiWallski83

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok let me try to help you with this, We can't overpay everyone. You want the BILLS to be better? Move them out of Buffalo period. Donte Whitner, Andy Levitre, Jairus Byrd, Willis Mcgahee, Marshawn Lynch all made note of how they didn't like it in Buffalo. Sorry to piss people of but there seems to be two real themes here, crappy ownership and top players not wanting to play IN Buffalo unless we vastly overpay. Problem is we have to field 53 players and can't overpay everyone. Those on your list we signed knew (other than Kyle Williams) they weren't going to get top dollar or start anywhere but in Buffalo.

Edited by Kellyto83TD

Ok let me try to help you with this, We can't overpay everyone. You want the BILLS to be better? Move them out of Buffalo period. Donte Whitner, Andy Levitre, Jairus Byrd, Willis Mcgahee, Marshawn Lynch all made note of how they didn't like it in Buffalo. Sorry to piss people of but there seems to be two real themes here, crappy ownership and top players not wanting to play IN Buffalo unless we vastly overpay. Problem is we have to field 53 players and can't overpay everyone.

London Fletcher's the only one that really burns me, he would have been a great backbone for our defense for years. Marshawn didn't outwardly hate Buffalo either if I recall, ownership just hated him.

London Fletcher's the only one that really burns me, he would have been a great backbone for our defense for years. Marshawn didn't outwardly hate Buffalo either if I recall, ownership just hated him.

agreed on fletcher, but if i recall correctly there was a large crowd of fans that criticized him for making all of his tackles 5-10 yards down the field. (similar criticism to pozluzny) and there was also a very large contingent of fans (myself included) that wanted lynch gone because he seemed to be a raging a-hole off the field, and also looked to be heading for a year long suspension because of his off field antics and run ins with the law.

agreed on fletcher, but if i recall correctly there was a large crowd of fans that criticized him for making all of his tackles 5-10 yards down the field. (similar criticism to pozluzny) and there was also a very large contingent of fans (myself included) that wanted lynch gone because he seemed to be a raging a-hole off the field, and also looked to be heading for a year long suspension because of his off field antics and run ins with the law.

Marshawn was a "get what we can for a guy who might not be able to play next year" trade. Funny how quickly we forget.

I swear, some of you people are just bad business. Making players like Byrd stay when they've made it obvious and clear that they don't want to be here is just really bad business, no matter how you slice it. We drafted Byrd, he played out his contract, we made him more than one offer and he didn't take them. Why treat him like a red headed step child? Why make someone stay against their will or trade them to a team they don't want to play for? Why would you want someone on the Bills that is here against their will? As much as I hate to see Byrd go, and I really hate seeing him go, Whaley is acting like a professional here and not some bush league whiny baby who is butt hurt that a player didn't want to be here. It sucks that Byrd doesn't want to play here but he did his time and did it well.

This Byrd thing got me wondering about all the failjobs the Bills have had over the years at keeping talent. To summarize (feel free to add others ive missed)

Guys we decided to pay: Fitzpatrick, Kyle Williams, Chris Kelsay, Lee Evans, Fred Jackson, Stevie Johnson, Eric Wood, Leodis McKelvin

Guys we decided not to pay: Pat Williams, Nate Clements, Antoine Winfield, London Fletcher, Jabari Greer, Paul Pozluszny, Donte Whitner, Andy Levitre, Jairus Byrd

Guys we traded for peanuts: Willis Mcgahee, Marshawn Lynch

The wheels keep spinning and we dont go anywhere. Why? because we sign talent to either exhorborant contract extension (fitz, kelsay) out of line with their performance or we nab them early before they could get more money (K williams)...when it comes to paying our premium talent, its always made out to be that the player is asking for too much or hates buffalo.

This is why we buff a blow.

Yes, we're all pretty frustrated at this point, but I don't see how offering 30mil guaranteed for first 3 yrs (and who knows for the rest of the contract) is "decid[ing] not to pay"

I swear, some of you people are just bad business. Making players like Byrd stay when they've made it obvious and clear that they don't want to be here is just really bad business, no matter how you slice it. We drafted Byrd, he played out his contract, we made him more than one offer and he didn't take them. Why treat him like a red headed step child? Why make someone stay against their will or trade them to a team they don't want to play for? Why would you want someone on the Bills that is here against their will? As much as I hate to see Byrd go, and I really hate seeing him go, Whaley is acting like a professional here and not some bush league whiny baby who is butt hurt that a player didn't want to be here. It sucks that Byrd doesn't want to play here but he did his time and did it well.

Franchize him , then trade thje a hole so we get sort of return on our investment. Don't let good players leave with no compensation.....

Franchize him , then trade thje a hole so we get sort of return on our investment. Don't let good players leave with no compensation.....

be careful with this line of thinking. buffalo has enough of a negative perception out there without forcing a player to stay here against his will. players around the league would view this in a bad light, as well as maybe some players in this locker room. letting byrd walk sucks, but forcing him to stay and creating a mess, and probably a really bad mess, could be worse. take the money you were going to use on byrd and start hammering out some extentions for talented youngsters that want to be here.

be careful with this line of thinking. buffalo has enough of a negative perception out there without forcing a player to stay here against his will. players around the league would view this in a bad light, as well as maybe some players in this locker room. letting byrd walk sucks, but forcing him to stay and creating a mess, and probably a really bad mess, could be worse. take the money you were going to use on byrd and start hammering out some extentions for talented youngsters that want to be here.

Yeah, payiong him 8.5 million to be traded really says bad about the Bills...

Do you mean the "tackle the guy YES but 8 yards down the field Fletcher" that played for the Washington Redskins? Look at their W/L record. He had the same issue at Buffalo. A lot of tackles but only after big gains.