What I'd like to see next year...

Justice

Pears was mucho better two seasons ago. His game fell off sharply this past season. Very interesting how the Bills value him and is there more to the story ? Injury , play calling , Urbik ... Chandler cant block...

Pears missed 9 games in 2012, and clearly wasn't as good last year as he was before the injury in 2012. The Bills had Hairston penciled in at RT last off season before he suffered a leg injury and then an undisclosed injury that put him on IR.

While Chandler was the BiIls leading receiver last year, ... Chandler can't block.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000329873/article/ohara-lewan-matthews-robinson-stack-up-with-2013s-top-ots?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cb

From what I'm recently reading all three of those OT's could be gone by #9. IF the Bills are seriously intent on tacking an OT early in the draft they could trade back and land OT Zack Martin at #16, and till get one of the top OG's & TE's in the second round.

Gil Brandt has Lewan ahead of Robinson, he also has Evans graded at #20, and Eric Ebron at #16.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000312939/article/johnny-manziel-ranks-no-1-on-top-50-nfl-prospects-list

But yea, my ultimate scenario would be finally upgrading the offense OT-OG-TE. With either the first three picks in the draft in any order, in free agency, or both. That offense would be so much more effective in controlling the LoS & clock with some better talent on that line.

Thanks for clearing up my memory banks.

I should have said , " Pears since his injury has not been the same "

I appreciate you clearing that up for me : )

Facts and stats are not my strength. But i do have opinions aplenty .

The run on QBs have such a big affect on our pick .

Evans at Twenty ?

Gil is just playing i think..

I kinda like # 8 .

generally speaking you seem to be heading the team in the right direction

I think number five is more important to resolve than you do though. I would love a Dansby here. But money could get tight after Byrds signing ?

Pears was mucho better two seasons ago. His game fell off sharply this past season. Very interesting how the Bills value him and is there more to the story ? Injury , play calling , Urbik ... Chandler cant block...

I've definitely seen evidence of chandler whiffing on blocks.

Thanks for clearing up my memory banks.

I should have said , " Pears since his injury has not been the same "

I appreciate you clearing that up for me : )

Facts and stats are not my strength. But i do have opinions aplenty .

The run on QBs have such a big affect on our pick .

Evans at Twenty ?

Gil is just playing i think..

np :D

In regards to Brandt, who was the VP of player personnel for the Cowboys from 1960 to 1988, and now works for the NFL as a senior analyst. He knows a thing or two about players. A lot of draft sites currently have both Evans & Ebron as mid first round picks.

The guy I'm waiting to hear from is Mike Mayock, and his take on the top 32. So yea, nothing is set in stone yet.

If Byrd was the highest paid safety in the league, what in GOD'S NAME would Earl Thomas be compelled to ask for!?

Who gives a F&@$ what Earl Thomas does? We are Bills fans!

and how I'll do it.

1. Re-sign Byrd. Make him the highest paid safety in the game. Front load his deal so it's not cap restrictive going forward. We have plenty of cap space so we can afford it.

2. As much as this pains me to say, but I'd use the 1st rounder on a RT only if Robinson (not likely) or Matthews is available at our spot. Lewan isn't a RT in my opinion and I wouldn't move Glenn unless he is 100% happy with the move. I'd much rather have Watkins or Evans, but we can find a nice receiver in the 2nd. If we draft a wide receiver here than try to sign Streif from N.O.

3. Draft the best available wideout in round two. Jordan Matthews or Kelvin Benjamin could be there. If not then grab the TE out of Notredame, Troy Niklas, or ASJ.

4. Draft a guard in round three. If we go WR and OL with our first two picks then grab our TE here and wait for round five for the lineman.

5. Sign a MLB in free agency. Jackson, Dansby, or Riley would suffice.

6. Scrap the no-huddle. Give our defense some rest.

7. Re-sign Chandler. He would be a great #2 tight end. Which leads me to #8.

8. Utilize two tight end sets more frequently. This is a running team. That's our strength. Make life easier on EJ while he makes his transition. Get rid of TJ.

That's about it. That's what I'd like to see. These moves can get us to the playoffs.

Not bad. I want to re-sign Byrd first, then I want to build upon the strength of the team...the DEFENSE! Get Mack in the 1st. Would love to get Jordan Matthews 2nd. If not, then Dee Ford as a situational pass rusher. Teams killed us last year on 3rd and long! CJ Fiedorowicz in the 3rd will solidify the TE position with Moeaki, Gragg. OL and RB with rest of picks.

One sure fire way of improving our run defense would be to score more points on offense. If you're playing with the lead teams will have to throw more and run less against you. That's why I favor addressing the offense heavily in the offseason via draft and free agency.

I agree with your premise, they really have to score more points to help that defense. But keep in mind that those rookies might not make the impact you are envisioning. History says there is a very good chance that those rookies will be liabilities to the offense early in the season and perhaps until at some point in year 2. There were a lot of people thinking Robert Woods was going to be a terrific player as a rookie and all he did was basically replicate the lowly regarded Donald Jones production from the year before. Goodwin produced some big plays but on the whole did very little either. Those were high picks. Maybe a Sammy Watkins can come in and beat them and SJ13 out, but just maybe Woods and Goodwin are going to make big improvements and their experience with the Bills current QB's will lead to a guy like Watkins being on the sidelines. I think one of those top OT's has a much better chance of supplanting Pears.....but even so, it might not be at a level of production higher than Pears provided last year as they transition to the league. I think those are good positions to invest early picks in and those are good players, but I am reluctant to expect those guys to be significant difference makers until well into their rookie seasons at least.

I agree with your premise, they really have to score more points to help that defense. But keep in mind that those rookies might not make the impact you are envisioning. History says there is a very good chance that those rookies will be liabilities to the offense early in the season and perhaps until at some point in year 2. There were a lot of people thinking Robert Woods was going to be a terrific player as a rookie and all he did was basically replicate the lowly regarded Donald Jones production from the year before. Goodwin produced some big plays but on the whole did very little either. Those were high picks. Maybe a Sammy Watkins can come in and beat them and SJ13 out, but just maybe Woods and Goodwin are going to make big improvements and their experience with the Bills current QB's will lead to a guy like Watkins being on the sidelines. I think one of those top OT's has a much better chance of supplanting Pears.....but even so, it might not be at a level of production higher than Pears provided last year as they transition to the league. I think those are good positions to invest early picks in and those are good players, but I am reluctant to expect those guys to be significant difference makers until well into their rookie seasons at least.

I would think that should the Bills finally smarten up this off season, and build that O line properly. Instead of trying to band-aid it like they have the last decade.

"IF" they draft or bring in a top FA Right Offensive Tackle, Left Offensive Guard, and possibly a better TE. Then that entire offense would look so much different this season.

Last year the Bills wanted to run their version of the read option- west coast style offense, and that went out the window with EJ's injury in pre season. Then they tried to run Hackett / Marrone's version of the no huddle-hurry up with a 3 WR spread offense. In which they also wanted to QB's the run a quick strike / short passing scheme to keep the pressure of those rookie QB's, hence all the check downs.

With an improved O line with some top O line players the Bills would then be able to utilize 90% of the playbook by taking 3-5 step drop backs and thus allowing deep passing plays to Marquise Goodwin (4.27- 40) and TJ Graham (4.29-40).

Robert Woods would be that solid #2 WR, and Stevie would regain his 2010 form by being the 11th ranked WR, 82 rec for 1073 yards. SJ would become a #1 WR again and earn his $$. Scott Chandler & Tony Moeaki should combine to terrorize in the end zone.

If you can give a QB the 3-5 seconds of time in the pocket they need for pass plays to develop...almost anyone behind center would look good.

I was with the OP three weeks ago and posted I would draft OT at #9. At this point if Barr or Watkins (assuming Mack is gone) is there at 9 I would take either of them. If not I do anything I can to trade down. I don't like Evans or even Ebron at 9. If they can trade down then just take BPA that is a TE/WR/OL/LB for the next 4 rounds. If a project QB falls go ahead and take him at some point. The crap backing up EJ now is not solution if EJ doesn't pan out.

Excellent post, Badol, and I agree to a certain extent. You never know when rookies make a huge impact in year one. The chances are rare, but it does happen. Someone like Mike Evans might not put up huge numbers, but what if he's an excellent redzone threat? Turn a few of those field goals into TDs last year and we probably make the playoffs. The same with ASJ.

I favor addressing the line via free agency, first and foremost, because they can help us out the most this year. Our rookies will need a year or two of grooming, but we should be ready for a playoff run that's lasts five plus years after this season.

Excellent post, Badol, and I agree to a certain extent. You never know when rookies make a huge impact in year one. The chances are rare, but it does happen. Someone like Mike Evans might not put up huge numbers, but what if he's an excellent redzone threat? Turn a few of those field goals into TDs last year and we probably make the playoffs. The same with ASJ.

I favor addressing the line via free agency, first and foremost, because they can help us out the most this year. Our rookies will need a year or two of grooming, but we should be ready for a playoff run that's lasts five plus years after this season.

I am for a QB but realizing that isn't happening I am not against either a playmaker in the pass game, an elite edge blocker or a top pass rushing prospect. From a team building standpoint, it would be pretty good timing to get an elite OT prospect. The spread between Cordy Glenn's new contract and the contract required to re-sign a top OT draft pick would be several years.......which makes for good contract spacing and increases the chance of keeping that line together for as long as possible. Assuming Jerry Hughes isn't considered a long term answer at RDE......a pass rusher this year would be good timing as well. Dareus will be due for an extension next offseason if his play evens out and that would leave a 4 year gap between big contracts for the DL. The Bills WR's are rather pedestrian so if a guy like Watkins or Evans were picked and turned into the player they project to be there wouldn't be much debate when the choices inevitably must be made between guys like Woods/Goodwin/Graham or Watkins/Evans. So in that regard, those positions are all good fits. I really don't like the idea of drafting CJ Mosley early if only because even if he pans out, his contract is going to run too close to that of Alonso and it's likely that it would be hard to jusfity keeping both when that time came.