What will the Cleveland Browns do in the draft?

Tipster19

Love how people think Cleveland is in worse shape than Buffalo. Most people on this board wanted Pettine and not Marrone as the HC. Cleveland has more ProBowl players. They have a stud WR and TE. They are great at LT and C. They have one of the best CB's in the game Their QB situation may be awful but ours maybe no better. Their stadium is brand new. They play all their games in Cleveland. So they screwed up the Richardson pick. At least the got a first round draft pick in return. What will Buffalo get out of two first round RBs? Three 1000 yard seasons and a fourth round draft pick.

Agree with the posters above, think they sit tight and take Mack or Clowney, then hope Carr falls to them late in the first round. Then they use their other picks on LB's, SS, and guards.

Or............

Watkins

This guy looks incredible and pairing him with Cameron and Gordon could be lethal. Would make any QB even Michael Vick look good.

Love how people think Cleveland is in worse shape than Buffalo. Most people on this board wanted Pettine and not Marrone as the HC. Cleveland has more ProBowl players. They have a stud WR and TE. They are great at LT and C. They have one of the best CB's in the game Their QB situation may be awful but ours maybe no better. Their stadium is brand new. They play all their games in Cleveland. So they screwed up the Richardson pick. At least the got a first round draft pick in return. What will Buffalo get out of two first round RBs? Three 1000 yard seasons and a fourth round draft pick.

Agree with the posters above, think they sit tight and take Mack or Clowney, then hope Carr falls to them late in the first round. Then they use their other picks on LB's, SS, and guards.Or............

Watkins

This guy looks incredible and pairing him with Cameron and Gordon could be lethal. Would make any QB even Michael Vick look good.

I mean they are named after poop...

Agree with the posters above, think they sit tight and take Mack or Clowney, then hope Carr falls to them late in the first round. Then they use their other picks on LB's, SS, and guards.

Or............

Watkins

Awesome. They were 4-12 and their HC and DC are from a 6-10 team and their OC is from a 3-13 team. They will have either a rookie QB or Brian Hoyer, a journeyman UFDA backup who has played 3 games. They have no running game or WR2. They have one guy on defense who is legit. The rest are decent but not close to elite. I do not think they will sign Mack AND Ward although they could tag Ward. I agree they should take Watkins, but they need playmakers on D in the worst way.

Or............

Watkins

I think that you're spot on except for the Watkins pick. WR is probably the deepest position in this draft and the Browns have a plethora of premium picks that can be used for a #2 WR, which is what they need. I also agree with the other posters who suggested that they take LB Khalil Mack. If they don't get Clowney then I believe that they will definitely take Mack. Taking 1 of those 2 defensive players with their first pick, regardless if it's the #1 pick overall or at the #4 spot, will make their whole draft work.

Fully agree here.

I think if Cleveland gets a good QB in the draft, they will be making waves this season.

Meanwhile, we're probably destined to 6-10 until the next coach/QB, unless something miraculous happens this season.

My guess would be Watkins at 4 and then 26 & a 3rd to move to about 20 and grab Carr. Then Carlos Hyde or Jason Verrett with their 2nd. I could see something like that. If you add Watkins to Gordon & Cameron and a QB they are heading in the right direction. They have a lot of defensive talent.

I think the fan base believes the opposite. If they only knew the Browns optimism on this board. They made Geno Smith and David Nelson look like All-Pros. Edited by YoloinOhio

I think the fan base believes the opposite. If they only knew the Browns optimism on this board.

They need a corner. I am not sure how Kruger fits in Pettine's scheme but I think that Mingo could become a force (can't believe that I am saying that). Ward will maybe be resigned and Haden is great. I am a little surprised that they let Jackson go but he is a faster Sheppard and we know how Pettine felt about him.

Maybe part of the disconnect as that we (or at least me I don't want to speak for everyone) have a lot of confidence in Pettine as a defensive schemer.

They need a corner. I am not sure how Kruger fits in Pettine's scheme but I think that Mingo could become a force (can't believe that I am saying that). Ward will maybe be resigned and Haden is great. I am a little surprised that they let Jackson go but he is a faster Sheppard and we know how Pettine felt about him.

Maybe part of the disconnect as that we (or at least me I don't want to speak for everyone) have a lot of confidence in Pettine as a defensive schemer.

I have no doubt the defense will be better under Pettine than it was under Horton purely from a scheme standpoint. Horton's D regressed greatly throughout the season and I think Pettine is going to be rebuilding it (i.e. moving Jackson out and anticipate him drafting a replacement similar to what he did with Nick Barnett ->Kiko. Unfortunately the personnel is not as good as a whole and they have switched systems so much it has made it hard to show any consistency with their personnel. Pettine's flexibility in his approach should help this a great deal, and he has said he plans to call the plays. I would guess the Cleveland D will need a year or two to get to the place he needs it to be, personnel-wise. The D-line is not what he had with the Bills. Phil Taylor and Desmond Bryant are serviceable but no one is going to mistake them for Super Mario, KW and Dareus. Edited by YoloinOhio

I have been pouring over the first 9 picks of the draft for the last several days. I have finally came to an amended conclusion that I think is very realistic barring any trades. Here's how I see the following.

1. Houston-Clowney. The guy is a freak and pairing him with JJ Watt is downright scary.

2. St. Louis. Here one of the OTs (Robinson or Matthews) are taken to keep Bradford upright.

3. Jacksonville- it's no great secret, they need a QB and take 1 of the following 3 (Manziel, Bortles or Bridgewater).

4. Cleveland- Khalil Mack. I'm not changing my mind here. Mack is perfect for Pettine's defense and coupling that with them thinking highly of Hoyer makes this the pick. That's not to say that they won't get another QB later in the draft and/or in free agency.

5. Oakland- On eagain here is another team that desperately needs a QB. The Raiders selects 1 of the 2 top QBs that are still left on the board.

6. Atlanta- Mirroring the same line of thinking as St. Louis protecting QB Matt Ryan is the Falcons' top priority.

7. Tampa- Unfortunately this is where WR Sammy Watkins goes. Not only does WR Mike Williams raises the Buccaneer's eye brows with some of his antics and his attitude but more importantly Watkins is a Florida boy, he's hails from right down the road, a Fort Myers native. There is still a top QB on the board and although I believe that Lovie will get some competition for Glennon it will be coming in the form of a FA veteran, possibly a later draft prospect as well.

8. Minnesota- The Vikings scoop up the last remaining top QB so they can try and get this monster Patterson the ball so they can utilize his off the chain talents and also loosen up the box so AP can over some people. The Vikings will be offensive minded and a little less defensive.

9. Buffalo- I firmly believe that if the draft were to unfold as I'm predicting than OT Taylor Lewan will be our pick. It's tempting to consider WR Mike Evans but due to this being the deepest position of the draft the Bills will make this position their priority in the 2nd rd (WR Allen Robinson or Kelvin Benjamin?).

Awesome. They were 4-12 and their HC and DC are from a 6-10 team and their OC is from a 3-13 team. They will have either a rookie QB or Brian Hoyer, a journeyman UFDA backup who has played 3 games. They have no running game or WR2. They have one guy on defense who is legit. The rest are decent but not close to elite. I do not think they will sign Mack AND Ward although they could tag Ward. I agree they should take Watkins, but they need playmakers on D in the worst way.

I expect Ward to be back in Cleveland one way or another - new deal or tag. Mack was going to be gone until the recent changes (particularly the FO changes). Shanny's ZBS is a great fit for him, too. He is still going to make it to free agency, but he now is willing to return if it makes sense.

While you are really understating Cleveland's roster they aren't poised for a playoff run. They've got a lot in place though. A quality QB would put that team above .500.

From your keyboard to God's ears. I keep saying that all it takes is one unexpected move. The expected is three QBs , the unexpected is three OTs in the first eight.

My only concern is the Vikings, they are already solid at tackle and lost Harvin last year, I could see them taking Watkins...or forgetting to hand in their pick.

I have been pouring over the first 9 picks of the draft for the last several days. I have finally came to an amended conclusion that I think is very realistic barring any trades. Here's how I see the following.

1. Houston-Clowney. The guy is a freak and pairing him with JJ Watt is downright scary.

2. St. Louis. Here one of the OTs (Robinson or Matthews) are taken to keep Bradford upright.

3. Jacksonville- it's no great secret, they need a QB and take 1 of the following 3 (Manziel, Bortles or Bridgewater).

4. Cleveland- Khalil Mack. I'm not changing my mind here. Mack is perfect for Pettine's defense and coupling that with them thinking highly of Hoyer makes this the pick. That's not to say that they won't get another QB later in the draft and/or in free agency.

5. Oakland- On eagain here is another team that desperately needs a QB. The Raiders selects 1 of the 2 top QBs that are still left on the board.

6. Atlanta- Mirroring the same line of thinking as St. Louis protecting QB Matt Ryan is the Falcons' top priority.

7. Tampa- Unfortunately this is where WR Sammy Watkins goes. Not only does WR Mike Williams raises the Buccaneer's eye brows with some of his antics and his attitude but more importantly Watkins is a Florida boy, he's hails from right down the road, a Fort Myers native. There is still a top QB on the board and although I believe that Lovie will get some competition for Glennon it will be coming in the form of a FA veteran, possibly a later draft prospect as well.

8. Minnesota- The Vikings scoop up the last remaining top QB so they can try and get this monster Patterson the ball so they can utilize his off the chain talents and also loosen up the box so AP can over some people. The Vikings will be offensive minded and a little less defensive.

9. Buffalo- I firmly believe that if the draft were to unfold as I'm predicting than OT Taylor Lewan will be our pick. It's tempting to consider WR Mike Evans but due to this being the deepest position of the draft the Bills will make this position their priority in the 2nd rd (WR Allen Robinson or Kelvin Benjamin?).

It will be just my luck if this happens and I need to root for Lewan forever more. :sick: Or at least until we decide not to sign him. J/K.

I expect Ward to be back in Cleveland one way or another - new deal or tag. Mack was going to be gone until the recent changes (particularly the FO changes). Shanny's ZBS is a great fit for him, too. He is still going to make it to free agency, but he now is willing to return if it makes sense.

While you are really understating Cleveland's roster they aren't poised for a playoff run. They've got a lot in place though. A quality QB would put that team above .500.

This is the case with most teams and the hardest piece of the puzzle. The problem for the Browns is that there aren't any FAs like Alex Smith out there this year. They are all throw-aways, save Mike Vick maybe, but he is made of glass. So even if they get a decent QB in the draft, that guy is still a rookie. And none of them are like to the ones in the 2012 class who showed up and elevated their teams right away. The Browns are rebuilding (again) which is fine, but they have so little depth it is scary. They have two studs on offense, and two on defense. Mack and Thomas are top-notch on the OL but somehow the line as a whole was compelelty unable to run block last year. I wish they could just stick with a coach and GM for than 1 or 2 years at a time to build a system and bring in personnel according. No one knows what to expect year to year, season to season. They just look like a minor league NFL team half the time. I wonder what they will do at QB seeing as Hoyer was really Lombardi's guy - they still need to cut or trade Weeden and then they have Jason Campbell who either looked decent or horrid last year. My guess is they will go into camp with Rookie, Hoyer and Campbell and they will have an open competition.

Manziel they need to positive juice and excitement, personally I dont think he will translate into a good NFL qb

I can see the QB as their first pick , appease the fan base possibly . I hope they trade a pick and mix it up a little though.

Love how people think Cleveland is in worse shape than Buffalo. Most people on this board wanted Pettine and not Marrone as the HC.

Uh whut? We all wanted a guy who has never been a head coach above the high school level to take the job?

Pettine runs a decent defense, has run one on his own for exactly one season in the NFL, and still couldn't stop the run. I liked him, but let's be serious and not reactionary here. I think you mischaracterize the board's majority opinion without having sampled it. Finally, even if there was universal board agreement on Pettine's ability to do the job better, it still wouldn't make him better.

Cleveland has more ProBowl players. They have a stud WR and TE. They are great at LT and C. They have one of the best CB's in the game Their QB situation may be awful but ours maybe no better. Their stadium is brand new. They play all their games in Cleveland. So they screwed up the Richardson pick. At least the got a first round draft pick in return. What will Buffalo get out of two first round RBs? Three 1000 yard seasons and a fourth round draft pick.

What do the past RB picks - of players now gone, save for Spiller - have to do with future success? You can argue about all the "studs," but they still haven't put it together. Both teams need vastly improved QB play and the jury is out as to whether franchise QBs are even on their rosters. Even if Cleveland is in a better position to take a shiny new QB, they will be dealing with the learning curve a year behind the Bills, with a defensive-minded HC and an OC who flamed out in Washington.

Watkins, Gordon and Cameron would make a terrific receiving trio, but their OL has underachieved for all the high picks on the line.

Cleveland is in year one of a rebuilding project, and on their third coach in three years. The Bills at least have some continuity in 2014. I am not saying they are better or that everything will come up roses, but if I were going with my gut I'd say the Bills have a better shot than Cleveland unless the Browns get a QB who sets the world on fire. That's not a sure bet with Hoyer coming off of injury, or a new QB being handed the job.

It will be just my luck if this happens and I need to root for Lewan forever more. :sick: Or at least until we decide not to sign him. J/K.

This is the case with most teams and the hardest piece of the puzzle. The problem for the Browns is that there aren't any FAs like Alex Smith out there this year. They are all throw-aways, save Mike Vick maybe, but he is made of glass. So even if they get a decent QB in the draft, that guy is still a rookie. And none of them are like to the ones in the 2012 class who showed up and elevated their teams right away. The Browns are rebuilding (again) which is fine, but they have so little depth it is scary. They have two studs on offense, and two on defense. Mack and Thomas are top-notch on the OL but somehow the line as a whole was compelelty unable to run block last year. I wish they could just stick with a coach and GM for than 1 or 2 years at a time to build a system and bring in personnel according. No one knows what to expect year to year, season to season. They just look like a minor league NFL team half the time. I wonder what they will do at QB seeing as Hoyer was really Lombardi's guy - they still need to cut or trade Weeden and then they have Jason Campbell who either looked decent or horrid last year. My guess is they will go into camp with Rookie, Hoyer and Campbell and they will have an open competition.

I expect that the Browns will stick with Pettine and Farmer for some time. They really have no choice and I think he will do well at their jobs. Other than QB it appears that the major holes they need to fill will be very achievable. Interior OL, ILBs and a RB are the most major holes. Keeping Mack would help considerably. A #2 WR, free safety and maybe an inline TE would also be nice, but aren't as pressing. Still, that pesky QB issue is a big one and they'll still need to get used to the new systems in place. There will be a learning curve.

At QB I think they roll with Hoyer, a rookie and a vet not on the roster. I don't see Campbell there. A Matt Schaub or Rex Grossman kind of player that knows Shanny's system will take his place.